Author Topic: SL8 Replica Build  (Read 1520 times)

Ludo

Re: SL8 Replica Build
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2024, 06:51:54 AM »
Well he is French so it goes well with the stereotype that we are very “open” and adaptable people lol

Serge_K

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2024, 08:33:58 AM »
well yeah that's why it's funny!
I mean bigrock is a literal brand, while mine would be trolling :)
How would you best troll an S-works owner than by associating his bike to some gay bar sounding name?

By funny, i should add i think it's funny. your mileage may vary :)
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Serge_K

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2024, 02:20:07 AM »
Not sure if anyone has found a 600 gram frame, plenty of 800 gram frames though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007773910195.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.13.fccf32d4bxlLLI&algo_pvid=e86475cd-6dec-4c18-8060-b323ba534a4a&algo_exp_id=e86475cd-6dec-4c18-8060-b323ba534a4a-6&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21AUD%211029.99%211029.99%21%21%214900.05%214900.05%21%40210312d517280247902682103edf09%2112000042156763118%21sea%21AU%21762393341%21X&curPageLogUid=qtRh2aYx2tJV&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A

I recognize the photos on that listing, there's fuckery going on. It's the same photos as the obm something link that was posted earlier on that thread.
I've been investigating fakes so it's very fresh in my mind. That obm blablabla is the only seller I haven't black listed yet, they're on holidays like most in China until the 8th. That's not an endorsement, it's just that they haven't raised red flags yet.
I posted about sellers selling fakes in the sellers section of the forum, and we know it's routine practice for a given "economic agent" to use multiple accounts on AliExpress, and they know what they're selling is completely illegal. AliExpress knows that as well and is explicitly complicit.

joegal

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2024, 04:11:17 AM »
Great and spicy topic :D

Do the replica frames also come with all the accessories and hardware? e.g di2 battery mount, as the seatpost is to narrow to fit the di2 battery. Or is the seatpost sightly wider than the original?

Would also be great to know if the seatpost is compatible. On most (if not all) SL7 clones, the original seatpost would not fit.

kvnp

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2024, 06:47:48 AM »
Great and spicy topic :D

Do the replica frames also come with all the accessories and hardware? e.g di2 battery mount, as the seatpost is to narrow to fit the di2 battery. Or is the seatpost sightly wider than the original?

Would also be great to know if the seatpost is compatible. On most (if not all) SL7 clones, the original seatpost would not fit.

They don't provide you the battery holder for the seatpost which is suitably copied because they drill 2 holes for you in order to install the battery holder. So you either have to buy the real part (~9.99$) or buy a 3D printed one on Ali (which is more expensive).

I purchased a 1:1 copied of the frame and I can tell you that some specific details are unsuitably copied. If you check my fork, you'll see that I attempted to install the Specialized mount for the front caliber and it didn't fit at all. Apparently, they prefer to fit the size of standard mount.

Those recent days, I contacted many sellers on AliExpress in order to see if they sell the famouse RedBull Bora Hansgrohe frame and I notified that all of them provide me the same pictures, haha. So, I really wonder if all those frames came from the same manufactory.

bigApple

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2024, 07:15:20 AM »
Hi guys, I have a sl8 clone from yohobike. Had to rework or grind some details, but on the whole it has been inconspicuous and good to ride for a few 100km. The handlebar as a Roval Rapide clone is a bit too flexible, but works well. I also suspect that the sl8 clones all come from the same factory and it depends on the seller whether, for example, the BSA housing or the brake caliper mounts are machined with a milling tool before shipping.
By the way... the original sl8 seatpost fit very well. Had to buy the longer Version.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 07:17:52 AM by bigApple »

bigApple

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2024, 07:32:40 AM »
Color is just UD glossy.

joegal

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2024, 07:39:51 AM »
Color is just UD glossy.

Looks great (even without the decals), thanks for the insights!

Also very interesting that the seatpost fits! Makes me think that they bought legit frames and 3D-scanned them or stole the original cad-files from the legit specialized OEM. (and not just remodel the frame by looking at the geometry chart and pictures...)
But the non-matching front caliper mount makes me think otherwise again...

Would be interesting to see a comparison of all the tube shapes of the clone and the real SL8  :o

Serge_K

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2024, 11:14:52 AM »
Hi guys, I have a sl8 clone from yohobike.
I also suspect that the sl8 clones all come from the same factory and it depends on the seller whether, for example, the BSA housing or the brake caliper mounts are machined with a milling tool before shipping.
What / where is yohobike?
No way, as some frames are EPS moulded and others not. wouldnt make sense for one underground factory to do both techniques in parallel (it would come up in discussions with tiers of carbon / quality / price.
So it's at least 2 sources :)
And we have the seller of the white factor shitting on all his competitors.
I've listed the sellers of fakes that i quizzed in the sellers section on this forum.

Makes me think that they bought legit frames and 3D-scanned them or stole the original cad-files from the legit specialized OEM. (and not just remodel the frame by looking at the geometry chart and pictures...)

I really, really doubt 3d scanning is used to make open moulds & fakes. 3d scanning is very hard, and given the chinese VALUE what the west calls IP theft, you can expect them to steal your design and pat each other the back for the feat. So, idk how they get moulds & CAD files, but they do. Also, it all happens in Xiamen, largely away from western eyes, so there's really something to be said about the role of culture, community and perception of whats' virtuous or not. Then you can even take the mile high view of the CCP's objective to have China gain back its status as superpower, so stealing western IP is helping making China great again.

MTB-Addicted

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2024, 11:36:53 AM »
normally they will use the smallest raw carbon frame to get the lightest possible weight.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006471937256.html?pdp_npi=4%40dis%21USD%21US%20%24700.00%21US%20%24693.50%21%21%21700.00%21693.50%21%402136637917175611260674463e67a9%2112000037318982788%21sh%21US%21239339037%21&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allItems_or_groupList.new_all_items_2007599312830.1005006471937256&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.hotSpots_2009574406236.0

I have purchased a frameset from this store, a painted size 56 painted frame weighs 900g.

Hi
I am going to buy extactly the same frame (same color, same size).
How is the coupling of the headset / fork / handlebar ? From the picture it seems quite good.

Did you buy also the handlebar from Peter ?
Thank you!

OralMaster

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2024, 11:45:32 AM »

Hi
I am going to buy extactly the same frame (same color, same size).
How is the coupling of the headset / fork / handlebar ? From the picture it seems quite good.

Did you buy also the handlebar from Peter ?
Thank you!

hey, yes peter was the seller. everything is within my expectations, if you could buy the original headset from specialize, i'd say do that. i find that headset from replica frames/or even chinese OEMs are made from injection molding with poor QC. different colors, visible flashes and sometimes the spacers don't stack up properly. also the maximum spacers allowed is 35mm without including the transition spacers. peter only gave me 25mm worth of spacers.

the internals are not silky smooth but nothing out of tolerances.

handlebar is pretty good, relatively easy to route the brake cables

the supplied di2 holder is not that good, i had to use electrical tape to wound up the insert point to ensure the battery don't come out.

i did not have any issues with brake mount facing, no brake rubs
« Last Edit: Today at 01:33:52 AM by OralMaster »

jonathanf2

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2024, 11:47:15 AM »
I really, really doubt 3d scanning is used to make open moulds & fakes. 3d scanning is very hard, and given the chinese VALUE what the west calls IP theft, you can expect them to steal your design and pat each other the back for the feat. So, idk how they get moulds & CAD files, but they do. Also, it all happens in Xiamen, largely away from western eyes, so there's really something to be said about the role of culture, community and perception of whats' virtuous or not. Then you can even take the mile high view of the CCP's objective to have China gain back its status as superpower, so stealing western IP is helping making China great again.

Specialized doesn't even bother to pay their textile factory workers in El Salvador. I won't be losing any sleep because their overpriced frames get copied.

https://www.greenamerica.org/press-release/specialized-and-others-failed-pay-workers-2-million

Serge_K

« Reply #29 on: Today at 03:36:32 AM »
the internals are not silky smooth but nothing out of tolerances.

This thread is normalizing buying fakes, when in the past on this forum there was a strong pushback. It is evident a lot of people are curious, myself included.
My 5 cents: the fake SL8 are some of the lightest frames available atm. And they're fakes. And at least half of them use bladder moulding, which is "the internals are not silky smooth" means.
This graph is from a YT video on specialized layup iterations (computer generated). At their price point, you can assume they do use high end carbon fibers.
An aero open mould frame weighing 1000-1150g from an OEM made w T800, EPS moulded, at a 500$ price point can be plenty stiff and perform really well, in the sense that i dont see why it wouldnt, especially if you have plenty of seatpost exposed (i have long legs) for road buzz deflection / comfort, and big tyres: there's plenty of material and shapes that scream "stiff" and "robust".
BUT, a FAKE frame sold by anonymous people telling you "i can't tell you that, i dont want to go jail", making very affordable frames (an important question is, how cheap can you get the unpainted frame, because if they say 500$, then it's T800, not even T1000, which then means there's no way it performs nearly as well as the real deal in stiffness, ride quality and so on), that weigh very close to the real frame, could very well be a very poor frame.

So, if you're jealous of your dentist friend riding the real one and just want to keep up with the joneses, rather than truly riding your bike, then you do you, i wont lecture you on values and what not, and a frame that looks pretty could 100% be enough.
But if you want to ride that bike hard, at the very least, make sure it's EPS moulded (at least half of the suppliers i looked at sell bladder moulded SL8 / wont show their internals).
You can't back solve for the same weight by using cheap materials, outdated manufacturing processes, made by shady ass people who knowingly lie for a living, whom you'll never meet in your life, and expect anywhere near the same performance. And i'm not talking 90% of the performance for a fraction of the cost. Given OEMs aren't really offering frames at that weight yet, be very skeptical and careful, unless you're fine riding a pool noodle, or worse. In fact i think a fair share of the interest in fake SL8 is because OEMs aren't really offering frames at these weights yet (it's the case for me, i dont actually like the look of the sl8 much, i think it's bland).

I'm curious myself, which is why i posted about it in the sellers section, but so far i've only found red flags and people to black list. Imagine you have an accident riding something illegal that collapses from under you. is your insurance going to cover you? I wouldn't.