Author Topic: Dual Suspension IP-098 build.  (Read 11304 times)

Dawnkeeper

Dual Suspension IP-098 build.
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:14 AM »
Hi guys!
Great to know there is such dedicated forum :)
I've recently recieved my IP-098 frame from Peter at XMIPlay (peter@xmiplay.cn).
Now waiting for some remaining parts and will start to build.
Will post photos later.

Size: The frame is 19" (L). It is the largest available.
Weight: 2,5 kg with shock (+/-10-20g).
Shock: 200x50
Rear travel: 100 mm (measured personally)
Fork: 120-140 mm (got 120)
Weave: 3K
Finish: Matte
Bottom Bracket: BSA
Dropouts: 142x12

Has anyone here already built 098 bike?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:19:14 PM by Dawnkeeper »

MTNRCKT

Re: Dual Suspension IP-098 build.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:27:19 AM »
Welcome! And nope, you're the first one with an 098 build but it's one of my favorite chiner frames, and quite a few of us have been looking forward to getting more info about this fairly new frame.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it's performance and see the final build. Do you happen to know how much rear travel the 098 has?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:37:10 AM »
Do you happen to know how much rear travel the 098 has?

Also, do you know the weight of the frame and what size you have?

I've been planning on eventually getting a full suspension chiner, and the 036 has been the frame I have planned on getting, but really interested in this 098. One of the things I've wondered is if it's a more "all mountain" bike like the Specialized Enduro, or if it's about the same as an 036 but just with the styling of the heavier duty Enduro?

Thanks.

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
Do you happen to know how much rear travel the 098 has?
Also, do you know the weight of the frame and what size you have?
One of the things I've wondered is if it's a more "all mountain" bike like the Specialized Enduro, or if it's about the same as an 036 but just with the styling of the heavier duty Enduro?

Added some details to the first post.

Considering "all mountain" or not - I don't know, I simply liked the looks of 098 more than that of 036 :) I guess we will find out when the bike is complete. Supposed to look like one in the attachment.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:10:40 PM by Dawnkeeper »

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50:53 PM »
Hey guys!
Need an advice here. Excuse me for my bad english, lack of practice.
Was inspecting links on my ip-098 frame once again when noticed something strange... And don't know if I should be worried now or not.
So, in particular this link:

Well, two links symmetricaly on left and right side of the frame.

I disassembled it:

There is a bearing in the top tube, but if we examine the link from the inner side there is no bearing in the bracket:

And the link is assembled with this screw:

So, what do you think, is it ok?

My first thought was that bracket is actually missing a bearing may be or something.

It turns out that these two symmetrical links are actually stretching the bracket to the opposite directions a little bit until the bush is pressed against the bearing (there is still room for it to be stretched further and I actually can do so if I press hard with a thumb). The bracket is some kind of a spring?   ???

Then ok, there is a bearing in the top tube, but what's its goal if the black cap of the screw plays a role of a bearing for the bracket part of the assembly?

Again, do you think it is intended to be assembled this way? Won't it cause excessive wear in the bracket part of the link? I'm really confused.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:59:03 PM by Dawnkeeper »

brmeyer135

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
I think it will be ok.
Reason, the linkage piece does the moving and it has the bearing...the other side, inside is part of the rear triange and it just moves linearly with give from the shock.  Meaning it can be fixed as long as the part that moves, the linkage has some type of bearing.

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
Hi, thanks for feedback.

The bearings are here:

I'm also concerned about the lateral stiffness of the frame. When there is a side force only one half/side of that short carbon bracket part countes it, the one that is being pulled from the frame, the other half/side cannot be pushed with this kind of screw/pivot conjunction, it will simply try to close the gap to the tube of the rear triangle. It's clear that carbon's stiffness is much greater than that of aluminium, but is it that great to allow use of only one half of that link?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:16:25 PM by Dawnkeeper »

brmeyer135

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »
Not where I expected but still works.  One side can be stationary as long as the other moves.
I am looking at your picture and the linkage is like a crank arm...the bearing you show is the bottom bracket.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:12:24 PM by brmeyer135 »

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
I get it, the only difference is that a crank arm cannot spin freely on its axis, they are one piece and can only spin in a bearing, whereas here nothing firmly fixates the black cap of the screw in a 'crank arm' as you called it. Can there be excessive wear because of this? On the other hand forces that are applied here are much weaker than in BB.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:26:45 PM by Dawnkeeper »

Zabran

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
Hi Dawnkeeper,

Do you have any news or updates regarding this frame?  I am considering building out the 098, but am struggling to figure out the differences between the two frames.  Is it more of an all-mountain bike, or is it more of a cosmetic difference?

MTNRCKT

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
Bump.

Would really like an update on this frame/build.

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
Hi guys!
Built it. Testing :)

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
Hi Dawnkeeper,
Do you have any news or updates regarding this frame?  I am considering building out the 098, but am struggling to figure out the differences between the two frames.  Is it more of an all-mountain bike, or is it more of a cosmetic difference?

Do you mean compared to IP-036 frame? Hard to tell actually, never happened to build or ride 036 based bike or even see one with my own eyes.
No problems riding XC on 098 though.

Oolak

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »
Hi guys!
Built it. Testing :)

Nice pic.. Super cool looking frame imo. Thanks for posting

Dawnkeeper

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 04:50:12 AM »
I can tell you, that the rear axle shipped with the frame is total crap. This one: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2014331910_2/MTB-bike-Alloy-Thru-Axle-front-100-15mm-rear-142-12mm-for-thru-axle-mtb-frame.jpg.
Poor quality and unscrews almost right away.

Got this one instead: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/dt-swiss-rws-e-thru-alloy/rp-prod123930.
Fits perfectly.