Author Topic: Workswell WCB-M-062  (Read 236091 times)

raypa

Re: Workswell WCB-M-062
« Reply #510 on: September 19, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
Good to know thanks. ;D

multispoke

« Reply #511 on: September 20, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm pretty close to settling on the M062 frame, but have one final consideration about the bottom brackets.
I'm going with the 24mm spindle, so the choice is between BSA threaded or BB92. What's the current consensus?
I've read a few posts earlier in this thread, and also asked for some more info from Workswell. The images they sent me show the BSA insert molded/glued in the frame, while for BB92 they glue in aluminum adapters (that will hold the BB92 press fit cups) on the outside of the frame.
Generally, you'd go with BB92 since that allows the downtube to be wider at the BB junction, and therefore laterally stiffer. But in this case, the frame is essentially the same, width wise. I think actual BB92 setup is about 10-20g lighter than a BSA BB, and the difference in the way Workswell makes the interfaces can also save a few grams over the BSA.

The downside with BB92, as I see it, would be in the greater potential for cups' misalignment. With the BSA you have one shell that the bearing cups thread into. So as long as the shell's edges are parallel to each other (easy to achieve on a lathe), the bearing surfaces would be, too.
With BB92, there is 1) possible lack of parallelism between the aluminum adapters that Workswell presses into the frame, and 2) the BB92 cups may sit slightly un-square in each side. So the possible error and tolerance stackup is greater.

That said, I'm not dissing the BB92 concept in general. I run those in my Scott road frame and my alloy Rocky Mountain MTB frame without issues. But in both cases, the BB92 is integral to the frame design, rather than tacked on, as in the case of many Chinese frames. I believe the newer frames (CS-041/LCM904) come with BB92 only that's molded in, like it should be.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:34:42 AM by multispoke »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #512 on: September 20, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
If I have a choice BSA, to me any of the benefits of a pressfit BB do not make up for the potential headaches.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #513 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
The BB shell of my PF30 frame is only carbon.
Nothing is glued or any aluminium part(from what I read in this thread, I prefer this).

The frame came with a kind of pressfit 24mm bottom bracket in anodised aluminium that I didn't use.

I used first the SRAM PF30 plastic cups, they didn't last long under the mud we face most of the year here.
Mind you, the BSA bearings of my friends here do not last any longer.

I finally put a bbinfinite inside.
Using the $15/pair stainless steel cage/ceramic balls from aliexpress.

I change them when I find them too noisy or when they start to have a play. One or twice a year.
Steel or stainless steel needed to be changed 2-3 times a year.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:17:33 AM by carbonazza »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #514 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
I find it interesting that I've had two Chiner bikes with BSA bottom brackets, around 3500 miles combined between the two bikes over the 2-3 years of ownership, and I never replaced the bottom brackets.  Everything was running smooth when I sold them.  Bottom brackets were nothing fancy, just $30 SRAM GXP parts.  I ride a variety of conditions from dry and dusty, to damp or muddy.  I wash the bike after really muddy rides or when it starts getting mud and dust caked on.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

multispoke

« Reply #515 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:22 AM »
The BB shell of my PF30 frame is only carbon.
Nothing is glued or any aluminium part(from what I read in this thread, I prefer this).

Actually, that looks really good! I was planning to use my existing GXP X1 crankset, but this photo may prompt me to find a PF30 setup (don't want to add a ton of weight with 30->24 BB adapters or converters, or spend a bunch on a special BB).

« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2016, 08:38:14 AM »
Please help me out. I ll need the measurements / angles of the headset to use with m062 . What are the crown race angles? Is it 36°x45° or 45°x45° or something else?

Asking `cos I need to buy reducer to use my old fork ( niner carbon 1 1/8")?

I want to get everything ready before my frame arrives.

adbl

« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »
I find it interesting that I've had two Chiner bikes with BSA bottom brackets, around 3500 miles combined between the two bikes over the 2-3 years of ownership, and I never replaced the bottom brackets.  Everything was running smooth when I sold them.  Bottom brackets were nothing fancy, just $30 SRAM GXP parts.  I ride a variety of conditions from dry and dusty, to damp or muddy.  I wash the bike after really muddy rides or when it starts getting mud and dust caked on.

Same here! I have always used BSA bb on my Chiner frames both road and mtb and have never had to replace them. Plus i never experienced any creaking  ::)

carbonazza

« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
I ll need the measurements / angles of the headset to use with m062 . What are the crown race angles? Is it 36°x45° or 45°x45° or something else?

The bottom bearing is a 52x40x7 45°/45°

d34n

« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
It seems my 062 has a small crack. http://imgur.com/gallery/NZiPN   the first picture shows the first cracking i noticed. The second picture shows a small crack that i cant feel, however every 2 days it leaks out white stuff.. I asked workswell what to do.. they said ride it harder to see if it is a paint crack or a structural crack. I have since ridden it 500km standing more and mashing it as much as I can.. I really can't say if it has gotten any larger, but we will see since I have only had my frame for 1 year/1500km.. I weight 200lbs and ride 99% xc trails with no major jumps/drops..

Will keep others up to date on the process with them.

RS VR6

« Reply #520 on: October 20, 2016, 11:35:04 PM »
Wow...bummer. Stress from the seat tube/seat post?

carbonazza

« Reply #521 on: October 21, 2016, 03:34:16 AM »
Did you hit gently around the zone with a coin to listen to the sound ?
If the sound is very different than the other side, it is not good.

SportingGoods

« Reply #522 on: October 21, 2016, 04:01:21 AM »
I don't like this crack and the last thing I would do is to ride it harder! If it swells then it is deeper then the clear coat. The structure is cracked.

By the way, it is the second time we see white stuff swelling from carbon. I'm still confused with that as it should not. Frame is made of carbon fiber compressed in Epoxy resin. None swells white. I really wonder what crap they use, probably a cheap resin that is NOT Epoxy...

carbonazza

« Reply #523 on: October 21, 2016, 05:03:40 AM »
I'm wondering if this is not water directly or condensed that goes out.
With may be some sort of talk that stays inside.

But you're right, a crack that goes from one side to the other is indeed not a good sign.
The seatstay are not that critical, I broke one last year, and was able to ride back to the parking.
The wheel was rubbing sometimes against the other seatstay on big bumps.

The frame won't dissolve between d34n legs when riding.

Let's see how Workswell will deal with this :)

karstenhorn

« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
It seems my 062 has a small crack. http://imgur.com/gallery/NZiPN   the first picture shows the first cracking i noticed. The second picture shows a small crack that i cant feel, however every 2 days it leaks out white stuff.. I asked workswell what to do.. they said ride it harder to see if it is a paint crack or a structural crack. I have since ridden it 500km standing more and mashing it as much as I can.. I really can't say if it has gotten any larger, but we will see since I have only had my frame for 1 year/1500km.. I weight 200lbs and ride 99% xc trails with no major jumps/drops..

Will keep others up to date on the process with them.

If you do have an air compressor, put some soap water on the cracks and then gently blow some air into the frame via one of the drain holes. If it is indeed a crack going all the way through the material(It sure looks like) you will see air bubbles right away. If you have too many bigger holes in the frame you can make some small plugs from an old rag.

Karsten