Author Topic: Ip-057 headset  (Read 5645 times)

static

Ip-057 headset
« on: April 05, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
Hi I'm new to the site and recently purchased a ip-057 frame to build. I have a question on the headset I purchase with frame the neco one. I was able to press the lowering bearing into the head tube. When I tried to do the top bearing it looks as if it'd just drops into the head tube perfect without having to  press in. Is this normal? Or do I have the wrong upper bearing?

Thanks

MTB2223

Re: Ip-057 headset
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
That's correct! There is another topic with the same information, couldn't find it right now, but there is.

static

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
Ok, that's a relief knowing. Where do the 2 shims go? Or do I not need them?

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
Between the top cover and the compression ring.

static

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:51:28 PM »
Great! Thanks for the help.  :)

MTB2223

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
I've got a PDF with all parts of the neco headset. But I couldn't find it (I'm on my mobile right now).
The headset we're talking about is the Neco H373 headset.

Found an image in my google drive :)

Shims between 2/3 (it stick together ) and 4.

c01e

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Stupid question... Whats the benefit of the pricey headsets? Trail buddy was talking about his Kings and i was just like "umm pretty cool man *confused look*"

325racer

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
Depends on what you start with.  Honestly I think these Chinese headsets aren't terrible, being they are the Inset style.  On my Santa Cruz I had a Cane Creek 10 or whatever the cheepo one is.  Well, it was a more traditional style where the headset had cups pressed into the frame, then bearings, etc.  I found that it would loosen up on me all the time, I decided that I was done fussing with it and purchased a King headset.  Upon dis-assembly I found that the Cane Creek had a bunch of plastic pieces, even the bottom race on the fork was plastic.

So in that sense the King was a much higher quality in overall parts using metal races, shims and spacers, vs plastic. 

But more than that there are differences in the tolerances and quality of the bearing, seals, grease, etc.  Plus the King has a ridiculously long warranty period.  When the NECO on my 057 goes bad it will be replaced with a King, OK, maybe not, as King doesn't seem to make an Integrated Headset.

And here's info from the King site.

http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/Int20HeadsetsExplained.pdf
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:02:20 PM by 325racer »

ottoreni

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
I have to ask, and I am not trying to be a smart ass, but how does a threadless headset loosen up?  You are not talking about a threaded headset are you?

I always hear riders saying my headset loosened up, but they are running a threadless headset.  Then they proceed to blame the quality of the headset and that is why they paid over a $100 for so and so headset.

Isn't a threadless headset held in place by the stem?  You preload it with the top-cap, then tighten the stem bolts to hold everything snug.  If the headset is loose, in my experience it has been one of three things.  One, not enough preload.  Two, stem bolts not torqued correctly, or the lower end headsets that might not have the best tolerances between parts or have plastic parts take a couple of adjustments.

The headset is loosening stuff is something that happened occasionally with threaded headsets, so long ago since I worked on one of those, or some marketing ploy by big brand names.

In my opinion, a headset, especially these drop in ones, can be one of the places that you save money on to spend on other parts that are crucial for performance.

325racer

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
I would generally agree that in theory the Threadless style headsets shouldn't come loose as easily if they are adjusted correctly.

I'm still not sure why the old headset came loose, maybe the star nut was bad, maybe the plastic parts squished, maybe something was out of tolerance.  All I know is that every 2 or 3, 10-15 mile rides I had to adjust the headset.

Since install the King I've only had to adjust it once after the initial ride, since then it's been rock solid.

Also, the Neco IPlay supplied headset on my 057 has been fine also.  It did require an adjustment and greasing after 2-3 rides due to some creaking, but I haven't touched it since then.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:50:27 PM by 325racer »

ottoreni

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
Are you using the same stem?

I recall that Truvativ came out with a one bolt stem.  I am no genius, but that just seemed pure idiocy when it is the bolt that creates the clamping force around the steerer tube.

Also, the star nut / headset cap bolt is just there to preload the headset.  After that, it serves no function.  I have seen too many "racer ricks" remove the cap and bolt to save a few grams.

325racer

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 12:20:47 AM »
I was using the same stem that came with the bike, a 2 bolt Truvative.  I'm using a super light 5g (I think) cap and bolt on my 057, so I'm really not sure what the deal was on the other bike.

I decided to "Go Big or Go Home" and went with the King, not to mention the Mango color matched the rest of the bike perfectly.

Here are some comparison pics of the parts between the two headsets.  Keep in mind this was not for my China bike, but my Santa Cruz Tallboy LT.

ottoreni

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 08:55:25 AM »
First off,  nice frame and color combo.

The Chris King looks like is has the deep insertion cups .... those are often times use when the headtube is ovalized.

Glad to see you resolved the issue with the frame.  At the end, all that matter is riding!

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »
Do you ride in wet condition sometimes?
I would be very interested to know how long the bearings last. So keep us posted.

325racer

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
Tried to post earlier, but it didn't go through.

I live in San Diego, so not much in the way of wet anything, never mind riding.  Even when it does rain we don't ride because the soil doesn't hold water well.

Between this and my 057, it doesn't get all that many miles, so unfortunately I won't be a good wear rate comparison, as I expect it to last forever.