Author Topic: Racing a china carbon  (Read 2769 times)

viensjaanis

Racing a china carbon
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
Hello!Just founded this site.At first,sorry for my english,it`s not my native language.

After spending some time on reading posts in here i have some questions.
How does for example IP 057 works compare to some big brand frames like Scott or Trek?How does it feels?
Does any of you are racing with your china carbon bikes?
How do IP 057 climbs,is frame geometry good enough for steep climbs?

It`s just that i`m interested to buy a china carbon frame for marathon racing.

Thank you for your time and hopefully i will spend some time on this site:)

Vipassana

Re: Racing a china carbon
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:39:55 AM »
I race an IP-256 frame.  I mainly do longer endurance rides/races of 45 to 105 miles.  I also do several shorter 15-30 mile rides a week.

I am not terribly competative, but that is not the fault of the bike.  I can tell you that this bike is every bit as stiff and light as almost any race bike I compete against.  The bike never slows me down.  Climbing and fast flats are where this thing shines. It out climbs anything I've ever ridden.  Sized properly and with the right gearing and fitness, this thing well climb anything with ease.  It puts a smile on my face on long climbs when I compare it to my old Aluminum full suspension Giant Anthem; its that much better.

My only other real carbon hardtail race bike experience was a Niner RDO hardtail.  And the 256 was every but as good and fur the sane price, I built a much better equipped, lighter bike.

If you're racing I'd definitely recommend the 256 over the 57, but both are great frames by all accounts.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:44:06 AM by Vipassana »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
The IP-057 has been a solid, reliable performer for both enthusiasts and racers.  There are many people racing both the IP-057 and IP-256 that are very happy with the frames.  For me I can confirm the IP-057 climbs well and has good geometry.  If you check the numbers, the geometry of an IP-057 is almost the same as a Scott Scale which is also proven on the race circuit.  The carbon frame will give you a very nice ride for long distances.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
First of all, welcome to the forum. And don't worry about your English, around here, English as a second language is more common than on most forums it seems. You'll fit right in.

I have the 057 but I don't race so all I can really tell you is that I've recently got to ride a Trek Superfly much preferred the ride of my 057. That said, it's likely because I'm so used to riding it, but point being that I certainly didn't feel any distinct riding difference/advantage from having the Trek which is a pretty high dollar carbon bike.

I can also tell you that I weigh about 215 lbs fully geared and have ridden the 057 for over a year now consistently and no problems to date. Not a lot to compare it to for climbing specifically but because of it's light weight it does seem to climb very efficiently. Only thing is I sometimes spin out in the rear, but I think that's a tire selection issue.

viensjaanis

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
Nice to hear good things about the frames :)Thinking of buying one of those frames.Will continue reading to understand the right choise for me.Thing is I do not have the money yet.Just want to know how much money I need.
One of the options is to buy frame and all components and build a bike.That means a long build.
Other option is to buy frame and swap parts from my 26er.Exept wheels and fork and maybe something else.I have 3X9 Sram X0 set with FSA Afterburner cranks(BB30) and Formula RX brakes.I will need a good set of wheels and fork.Of corse cassete and sprockets.And some other smaller parts.

What is your opinion:can it work?

Oolak

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
Yes, I say definitely salvage as much as you can to transfer over to your new build. Like you said, keep the brakes, cranks, and derailleur as they are all good components provided they are in good shape. You can always upgrade that stuff later but no reason to do do up front. Maybe do a conversion to 1x10 which is pretty cheap.

MTB2223

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
Nice to hear good things about the frames :)Thinking of buying one of those frames.Will continue reading to understand the right choise for me.Thing is I do not have the money yet.Just want to know how much money I need.
One of the options is to buy frame and all components and build a bike.That means a long build.
Other option is to buy frame and swap parts from my 26er.Exept wheels and fork and maybe something else.I have 3X9 Sram X0 set with FSA Afterburner cranks(BB30) and Formula RX brakes.I will need a good set of wheels and fork.Of corse cassete and sprockets.And some other smaller parts.

What is your opinion:can it work?
For me it took more than a year to know what I wanted and the time I ordered the parts. Did a much research (just before we started this forum). And now, I'm riding my IP256SL more than 8 months with a lot of fun. My total build was around 2100~2300 USD and with a weight of 9,3 kg. It was a build with all new parts (except the spd pedals). I didn't want to reuse the parts of my previous bike, because I wanted to sell my bike as one part. But at the moment I still have my old bike, as a spare bike :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:53:17 PM by MTB2223 »