Author Topic: IP-036 Build  (Read 4846 times)

outriding9800

IP-036 Build
« on: May 13, 2015, 11:15:39 PM »
Just completed my ip-036.. picked it up from peter's new company..

It went together no harder than my 057 .. except for the shock bushings.. with all the options out there i decided to use RWS in the back and made my own out of delrin in the front.

Anyways..

XT group set 2x10
Thomson stem/seatpost/seatpost collar
RockShox SID RCT3 120mm
Fox CTD shock
eggbeaters
RARAs
my old beat up seat
Carbon handlebar that i got from Carbon_Dude awhile ago
ESI extra chunky grips

Wheels:
HR930C (from peter also)
DT Swiss 350 straight pull hubs 15mm axle front .. 142x12 rear
Sapim cx-ray spokes
alu nipples w/washers (used prematex copper antisize on the threads)

FYI you need a E2 type front derailuer.
I did find the rear suspension to be very fluid and no binding. I did make sure there was a bit of grease on the pivot points and threadlocked the bolts down..

Have not ridden it yet.. other than around the sub... Might go tomorrow..

I did not weight it but i am guessing about high 25lbs..

Bertzhong

Re: IP-036 Build
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
very cool bike, but I have a question, sorry, I should learning more knowledge of bike building, usually, the Sapim cx-ray spokes use for road wheelset, why don't  you choose the Sapim delta , and do you mind share the feeling after your riding ?
Thanks in advance.
Bert

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:02:10 AM »
Looks really good.  Hope you enjoy the flat bars :).

I found the RaRa's a good race tire, but doesn't hold up over the long haul.  If I raced and replaced them every 3 months or so they'd be a great tire but I like a tire to hold up for at least one or even two seasons (if you have multiple bikes).
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

outriding9800

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »
very cool bike, but I have a question, sorry, I should learning more knowledge of bike building, usually, the Sapim cx-ray spokes use for road wheelset, why don't  you choose the Sapim delta , and do you mind share the feeling after your riding ?
Thanks in advance.
Bert

Hmm i dont even see sapim delta spokes listed on sapim's website..

I felt the cx-rays and the dt swiss aerolite spokes are equal spokes and dt swiss lists aerolite spokes as a good spoke for mtb xc riding.

I would have got the dt swiss spokes but the last wheel i built i had a few spokes that would not tension right.

Also i am digging the shape of the spokes.. really easy to stop spoke wind up..

riding tonight so i will update to night..

outriding9800

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
Got a ride in..

https://www.strava.com/activities/304712701/overview

The bike was everything i was expecting and some. This is my first ride on a full suspension since the first generation Trek "Y" bike was in production. I cracked out the fastest time on that loop for this year beating my old time by a few minutes

I noticed the bike could corner better  (note i currently ride a ridged 057) i think the bike would keep the tires on the ground better instead of skipping causing it to be a bit unstable. i could enter the turns with more speed and exit with more speed.

climbing was a mixed bag.. with the tires being on the ground more a technical climb was nicer but it did seem i lost a bit "go power" note it was way better feeling than the old "y" bikes.

The wheels were great.. very stiff loved them.. ugg i used to have a set Hugis before they were DT Swiss.. I am so glad i am back with that design.

cmh

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
Hmm i dont even see sapim delta spokes listed on sapim's website..

Seems to be a new spoke, with the center section in a rectangular profile vs. the sharpened oval of the CX-Ray.

I felt the cx-rays and the dt swiss aerolite spokes are equal spokes and dt swiss lists aerolite spokes as a good spoke for mtb xc riding.

Yeah, very close to equivalent spokes. I'm sure DT and Sapim would disagree but I've worked with both of them and they're nice. Dimensions are almost identical.

I would have got the dt swiss spokes but the last wheel i built i had a few spokes that would not tension right.

Probably not a function of the spoke - I've built with DT for a loooong time and I've had problem builds but none caused by the spokes.

Also i am digging the shape of the spokes.. really easy to stop spoke wind up..

Yes - exactly this! Love building wheels with those vs. the equivalent 2.0/1.5 Revolutions or Lasers. Plus, the cold working to form the shape improves the fatigue strength. Won't make a stronger or stiffer wheel, but it should last longer.

I've built many wheels with the CX-Rays, and have built several MTB wheels with the Lasers, and aside from the price (roughly $3USD per spoke!) I don't see a reason to not use the CX-Rays in MTB builds. If the CX-Delta is less expensive because of the simpler smash-it-flat profile, I could see that being a really good option. Unfortunately I don't see it being available at the usual places.

I've got a set of American Classic hubs on 26" rims from my wife's bike, and was going to build her either a 29er or 650b wheelset (depending on her next bike) and was going to build with the Sapim Super spokes - 1.8/1.4 vs. the Revo/Laser 2.0/1.5 - but then I saw that it starts at almost $6 a spoke for the silver one, and is $8.25 each for the black bladed spokes!! That would be $528 in spokes alone for her wheelset. Okay, yeah, maybe not so much.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:58:54 AM by cmh »

cmh

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
Got a ride in..
https://www.strava.com/activities/304712701/overview

What's all this second fastest time stuff! Go faster!  ;)

Actually, on a brand new bike and your first full sus frame for that long? That's really damn good.

Beautiful bike - really considering the 650b version for my wife, she needs a backup bike and it needs to be suspension. Already got the fork and the shock, so would just need the frame. Oh, and build those wheels with the $8 spokes. :D

PeterXu

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:06:49 AM »
Actually Sapim CX-Delta spokes are almost same weight and stiff as Sapim CX-Ray but a little cheaper than CX-Ray, that is why we usually use CX-Delta to assemble wheels.

Here are 2 pictures I took during Shanghai Bicycle Show

cmh

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
Actually Sapim CX-Delta spokes are almost same weight and stiff as Sapim CX-Ray but a little cheaper than CX-Ray, that is why we usually use CX-Delta to assemble wheels.

That's what I thought - the CX-Rays are pressed to an oval section which may be slightly more aerodynamic, vs. the CX-Delta just being pressed flat, which has to be far easier in the manufacturing process. For the purpose of MTB wheels (and likely most road wheels, honestly) the flat section would be just fine. Might even be easier to build with, as well.

Would like to be able to get my hands on some of those, but haven't seen them available from any of my sources yet.