Author Topic: And The Winner of The 42mm Hookless Rims...  (Read 5921 times)

Sitar_Ned

And The Winner of The 42mm Hookless Rims...
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:53:12 PM »
As always, an overly dramatic video to announce the winner:

Also as always, something doesn't quite work as planned and this time you can't really read the winning name when I pull it in for it's close-up, due to the lighting and neon paper.. So.. Congrats to cmh! Coincidentally, if I remember correctly, he's also a seasoned wheel builder, so that worked out well.

Thanks to all who participated, and congrats again to cmh! We'll be doing the next giveaway when the forum hits 10k posts - So hang around! 

outriding9800

Re: And The Winner of The 42mm Hookless Rims...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »
Congrats CMH..

I expect a full review..

HA!

JohnnyNT

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:20:50 AM »
Nice, congrats cmh

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:08:37 AM »
Congrats cmh.

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
Awesome drawing wheel. But I miss the pretty lady from the last drawings.

Congrats CMH!  I was only 5 away! Maybe next time...

nsfr1206

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
Wait to go!

Oolak

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
Obligatory congrats to cmh, but damn.. I really wanted to win these rims! Had some fat tyres picked out and everything. Lol.

Awesome drawing wheel. But I miss the pretty lady from the last drawings.

Yes. Miss Chinertown. I too am a fan  ;D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
Congrats CMH!  Another awesome Chinertown giveaway!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »
As always, an overly dramatic video to announce the winner:

Also as always, something doesn't quite work as planned and this time you can't really read the winning name when I pull it in for it's close-up, due to the lighting and neon paper.. So.. Congrats to cmh! Coincidentally, if I remember correctly, he's also a seasoned wheel builder, so that worked out well.

Thanks to all who participated, and congrats again to cmh! We'll be doing the next giveaway when the forum hits 10k posts - So hang around!

WHOA! Awesome! That's freaking sweet! :D Amusingly enough - I found out when I got an email from the guy who bought the carbon rims I sold here on the classifieds! Now that's some karma or something. :D

So what now? Really looking forward to this build!

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »
Very Cool Chris! Congrats! ;D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »

Hey cmh.. Just email Peter and he'll hook you up. He's already been made aware that you won. There may be a delay in the process bc apparently he's unavailable for the next couple days.

cmh

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 08:37:19 PM »

Hey cmh.. Just email Peter and he'll hook you up. He's already been made aware that you won. There may be a delay in the process bc apparently he's unavailable for the next couple days.

He chooses _now_ to have a kid? Where's his priorities?  ;D

No worries, while I can't wait to see them, I can be patient.

Thanks again!

MTNRCKT

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 08:48:37 PM »
Hey cmh, do you have plans in mind for the rims? Hubs? For a current build or a new build?

Pretty sweet prize! Hope you enjoy them.

cmh

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »
Hey cmh, do you have plans in mind for the rims? Hubs? For a current build or a new build?

Pretty sweet prize! Hope you enjoy them.

Thinking about that. I just got a MTB270 rear hub from BikeHubStore.com for an unrelated build, so I was thinking a set of those hubs, and maybe the Sapim D-Light spokes - 2.0/1.65, lighter than the Race but not as crazy thin as the Laser or as expensive as the CX-ray. I think that'd be a good balance of light and stiff that should match those rims pretty well. Been really enjoying working with the Sapim hex-head nipples as well, but I used those on my carbon fat bike rim build and the Park tool I have for the 5.5mm hex heads didn't fit into the holes in the carbon rim. Guessing it'd be the same for these, as well. Looking at 5.5mm nut drivers online but nobody says the outer diameter of their tools - because who would want to know that? :D

Initially thought I'd pair them with a set of American Classics that we have waiting for rims right now, but I think I might save those for a lighter rim. Have eyeballed the 27mm rims on XMCarbonSpeed a couple times for that build, but that one will have to wait!

Open to suggestions, but the BHS hubs and D-Lights sure seems like a good base for the build.

cmh

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »
Had to update my spoke length calculation spreadsheet to account for the offset - I don't usually work with offset rims - but after I did, I'm even more excited to try these out. With the offset, the flange distance ratio is 78.8% in the front and 72.4% in the rear. That's damn nice - those hubs are 64% and 57% on a zero-offset rim, and that usually translates to the tension balance - so 100kgf on the tight side would work out to as low as 57kgf without the offset, but ~72kgf with. That should help make for a damn durable wheel!