Author Topic: Headset Cracking Sound?  (Read 12086 times)

robschwieb

Headset Cracking Sound?
« on: August 01, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »
Hello,

I recently purchased and just finished building up a FLYXII FR-202. Everything went together really well except I seem to be having some noise issues and wondered if any of you had a similar experience or advice.

For my headset I went with a Cane Creek Forty IS42 top and 52 bottom. The problem arises when I brake hard with the front and occasionally when I pressure either side of the bars individually. I get multiple unsettling cracking sounds coming directly from the headset. I've tried the usual, greasing rituals and about every different combination of torque on the star nut but nothing seems to change it. I made sure it wasn't the bars, stem, or pesky internal cable routing.

The top bearing drops in fairly easy and doesn't have play and the bottom is snug, requiring a bit of force to press in but easily doable by hand. I'm thinking it might be something with the the top cup but I'm not sure, I've never worked with carbon integrated headsets. Is there any cleanup process required for these frames before installing the headset? I couldn't see any actual aluminum cups, it just looked like carbon roughly formed into cups? Is that correct?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Carbon_Dude

Re: Headset Cracking Sound?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »
If you've already re-greased everything and the fit of the headset bearings into the frame seem to be good, I'm not sure what else you can do.  Are you sure you are properly torquing the stem, tightening the top bolt preload first then side bolts?

I'd also continue looking at other parts, typically any creaking sounds I've had were resolved by cleaning and re-greasing the connection between the stem and the bars.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

robschwieb

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »
Yeah, preload first then stem side bolts. The connection between stem and bars is good, even tried an on aluminium set instead of my carbons and the terrible noise still exists.

It's not a creaking sound either, definitely a quick sharp cracking/popping. When I slam the front breaks about 3 cracks can be heard and then when I quickly let off and throw my weight back another set of cracks just like the first repeats. Makes me think it has to do with the bearings shifting in the cups but I don't know how. For testing purposes I tightened the star nut until steering felt tight and that didn't help either.

I'm at a loss on what to do next. Maybe order a cheap FLYXII headset just to make sure this Cane Creek isn't messed up?

ottoreni

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 01:44:45 PM »
What fork are you using?

robschwieb

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
What fork are you using?

2014 Reba RL Solo Air with 1 1/8th straight steerer tube. I bought the corresponding crown race from Cane Creek for putting a straight steerer in a tapered headset as well. Pretty positive it isn't the fork, it came off my previous hardtail and didn't have any noises when I rode it last week.

RS VR6

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »
Double check that the top cap isn't bottoming on the top of the stem or spacer. Are you seated when making the stop? I had a ticking that took me a couple weeks to track down. It ended up being the cradle on the seatpost.

robschwieb

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
Double check that the top cap isn't bottoming on the top of the stem or spacer. Are you seated when making the stop? I had a ticking that took me a couple weeks to track down. It ended up being the cradle on the seatpost.

I double check the bottoming out but I should be good there, I have a good amount of gap between spacer and stem. Definitely from the headset area because when I cup it with my right hand and brake hard I can muffle the cracking noise.

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »
What did you grease? I had identical noise as you describe in my first ride or two.  Some super sticky silicone based grease between the bearings and the frame stopped it instantly.

robschwieb

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
What did you grease? I had identical noise as you describe in my first ride or two.  Some super sticky silicone based grease between the bearings and the frame stopped it instantly.

At first I greased just what you did. When it was all said and done, pretty much every square inch of the headset was lathered in it. I'll look into trying some sticky silicone based stuff next.

I just want to say, thanks for all the quick feedback and suggestions everyone!

RS VR6

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
You have pics of your setup? Maybe pics of all that parts involved?

robschwieb

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »
You have pics of your setup? Maybe pics of all that parts involved?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow evening when I get the time. I did, however, try the silicone based grease tonight and, unfortunately, the cracking noise continues.

MTB2223

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 02:38:37 AM »
Did you grease the crown race before installing it?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
The only thing I see different in your setup vs everyone else's is the straight steer tube.  If you had a fork with a tapered steerer to try that would be where I'd start.  Possibly your crown race is not fitting properly into your lower bearing of your headset and is causing some movement.

Are you feeling any movement or just hearing a noise?
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

robschwieb

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »
Did you grease the crown race before installing it?

Yeah, I used some bearing grease the first time around and last night I re-greased it with the silicon lube. No dice.

The only thing I see different in your setup vs everyone else's is the straight steer tube.  If you had a fork with a tapered steerer to try that would be where I'd start.  Possibly your crown race is not fitting properly into your lower bearing of your headset and is causing some movement.

Are you feeling any movement or just hearing a noise?

Not feeling any movement, it's nice and snug. As for the race, I ordered an adapter specifically for my headset that allows the Cane Creek Forty bottom to work with a straight steerer. Nice snug fit there as well.

I think for the time being I'm just going to ride it. I've put about 15 miles of rough single track on it and no real concerns yet. Time will tell I suppose.

bdub

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
Are you very sure it's coming from the headset? The creaks on these carbon bikes are very hard to track down sometimes. I had creaks that I thought where coming from the headset and it ended up being from the seatpost.