Author Topic: Why buy headsets?  (Read 1833 times)

RS VR6

Why buy headsets?
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:59 PM »
I've been noticing that a lot of people are purchasing new headsets. Why do that when your frame comes with a perfectly functioning one? Its just two bearings. Even if they do go bad...it's a 10 minute job to change out new ones. From what I see...there is a huge markup when the bearings are sold as a headset vs the bearings alone. The job of the headset isn't a difficult one. There isn't too much bling to get out of it (at least the internal ones). When I put my 062 together, I used the FSA headset that came with my two year old Specialized. I don't see me needing to switch it out anytime soon. I'm just waiting for Ceramicspeed to put out some 300 dollar ceramic headset bearings. ::)

carbonazza

Re: Why buy headsets?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Totally agree.

For forum reasons, I bought a Cane Creek 40, that was toast just after a single fall/winter.

I'm now with the one that came with the frame, a Neco I guess.
Everything is fine, and I'll replace the cheap bearings when there is some play or resistance.

LHSN

Re: Why buy headsets?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:46:01 AM »
I packed my headset with some sticky "sealing" grease used in piping, and marine grade water repellent grease in bottom bracket. Autumn is here, we'll see how long the bearings gonna stay protected.