Author Topic: CS-041 built from Portugal  (Read 9590 times)

helio

CS-041 built from Portugal
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:53:12 PM »
Hi

My name is Hélio, living in Lisbon, Portugal. Ive rediscovered mtbiking lately. Started with a 2015 scott aspect 950, and soon started to upgrade here and there to save some weight, managed to bring from 14,5 to 12,5 kg, but then i realized, I've got a almost new bike.

here starts my built. Ive ordered a CS-041 frame from Peter. He promptly answered (don't know if he lives in europe, or if he doesnt sleeps), everything worked fine. Im just waiting for the frame to arrive.

Meanwhile I've got myself:
Fsa k-force lite 2x10 crankset
xtr rd
xt fd
xtr brake set
egg beater pedals
xt shifters
xtr 11-38 cassete

from the previous built, will use:
bor 333 wheel set
novatec 271 hubs
lark lightweight rotor disks
Saevid 84gr carbon saddle
richtey 260 90mm -25º stem
kcnc 720mm kc bone handle bar
rock shock reba 2015

still to buy:
kcnc ti pro lite 27,2 saddle post
bb30 to bb92 bottom bracket (I've ordered a bb92 from fsa, but k-force 30mm spindle doesn't fit the 24mm inner diameter)
swalbe racing ralf tyre set

looking to achieve a 7,5 - 8 kg built. Ill use it pretty much everywhere, therefore im not going 1x10 or 1x11, because i like to climb everywhere, and I've lived in a island where to ride 30km, the accumulated climb would be 1000m.

ill had some pics in the next days, as soon as the frame arrives.

Patrick C.

Re: CS-041 built from Portugal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »
Looking forward to the pics!  How do you like that saddle?  I still haven't found one I really like.  Tried one of the web saddles, but it broke on the first ride (I'm ~90 kg).

helio

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »
im very happy with my saddle, was not cheap, but is though. Maybe a little too much. I weight 75kg, and it have never had a issue with it. You can search reviews on web.

my pics are huge, i have to upload it later

helio

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »

helio

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
the bike is finally assembled and tested. I really like the bike. every pedal stroke really propels the bike forward. very stiff pedal wise, but flexible enough to soften some rough terrain, as expected in a carbon frame. The build is around xt an xtr components, Next SL crankset 2x10, and a xtr rear train, cassete and rd.

the low on all this is the weight. I know im using my old tires, around 800gr each, but even with out this, the weight is pretty high, sitting around 10kg right now.

I was hopping to reach a 8kg bike build with 2x10 crankset (as i run some marathons, i need more than 1x11... at least till now).

Next week i should be changing to schwalbe thunder burt tires, tubeless mount.

I can see that in order to lower the weight ill have to spent some real serious money, in some periferics, and a 1x crankset.

Vipassana

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »
Very nice build.  Thank you for sharing.

I'm really liking all of these  CS-041's popping up on the forum.  It looks like a great frameset.

JohnnyNT

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »
Which bottom bracket did you finally order ? The one coming with Next SL I suppose ?

helio

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
at the end it ended with a shimano bb92.

unlike the fsa (spindle too short) the race face don't come with a bb.

helio

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
the bike now mounts a pair of schwalbe thunder burt 29x2.1, tl ready, 400gr each, making the final weight 9,2 kg. yet, a bit heavy for what i wanted.

im thinking about some way to shed some weight, im thinking about a new suspension fork sid xx sc (-100gr), Ti pedal spindles (-100gr) , changing to a 1x system (-500gr). But as it could be very expensive, it ll take its time.

By now im breaking some KOM and PRs.

cmh

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
the bike now mounts a pair of schwalbe thunder burt 29x2.1, tl ready, 400gr each, making the final weight 9,2 kg. yet, a bit heavy for what i wanted.

im thinking about some way to shed some weight, im thinking about a new suspension fork sid xx sc (-100gr), Ti pedal spindles (-100gr) , changing to a 1x system (-500gr). But as it could be very expensive, it ll take its time.

By now im breaking some KOM and PRs.

Going 1x will save quite a bit of weight. A new fork is a big investment for only 100g. I'd check into the RaceFace Next SL Cinch cranks first, they might still save decent weight over the older 2x model.

For a smaller investment, Ashima AiRotors are really nice, surprisingly light, and very affordable. They're available under many different names, such as the Origin 8 Torq-Lite rotor.

Those quick release skewers you have are not light - swap those out for some non-quick release ones and you can save a decent amount of weight. I've got a set of Control Tech Race SL skewers that are amazing, the pair is lighter than just about any titanium quick release skewer.

Looks like you've already got foam grips, only way to drop weight past that is wrap the bars with a bit of road bar tape. That's getting silly, though.

Speaking of silly, if you're a reasonably lightweight rider, you don't need all six rotor bolts. My wife's been running only three titanium bolts front and rear for several years now. That's truly chasing grams, but if you want to hit 8kg with a 29er with front suspension, that's what you're going to have to do.

Shimano brakes are not the lightest, but they're good enough that they might be worth bending your weight target for. :D

The EggBeater 11 pedals are freakin' sweet. I don't run them - too heavy - but my wife's been running them for a while. The retail price is a bit ridiculous, but if you look on their page, they have a pedal trade-in program. You send in some old pedals (doesn't matter which) and can get brand new Crank Brothers pedals for a whole bunch less. Prices have gone up since I got her the eggbeater 11s, but it was a WHOLE bunch less than the $450USD retail they were going for at the time.

If you wanna get silly, you can find all-aluminum "race day" cassettes at shops like fairwheelbikes.com and others. Almost guaranteed they won't shift as well as an XTR cassette.

Finally, if you're staying 2x10, the non-Shadow+ XTR derailleur is marginally lighter, but wouldn't work very well in a 1x setup.

helio

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
Hi mate, thank you for the reply, and the suggestions.

Presently im getting to know the bike better. It already suits me very well. Im happy with it. Anyway i would love to have it lighter. The fork option is something that im hopping to achieve at less cost, as i have a refund pending form CRC.com and i can still make good money on the reba sale.

Changing to 1x, has made most of my thought. Ive reached the conclusion that in order to use 1x, i need a wider transmission rate out back. This way im looking for feedback in 42 teeth cogs vs shimano xtr 11sp 9000. I don't want do walk instead of pedal on "wall"climbs,  and i don't want my top speed to be limited to 28/30 km/h. Therefore im thinking about it.

Ill check about the rotors and the skewers.

Vipassana

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »
What about titanium spindles for your current pedals?  There are sellers on eBay and elsewhere that make titanium spindles for a variety of pedal types/brands for $60-100, which is generally cheaper than upgrading the whole pedal assembly.

helio

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 02:33:32 PM »
That's what I was talking about  ;)

RS VR6

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 11:43:15 PM »
Can your rear hub take a XD driver? If it can...you can run a 10-42 SRAM 11sp cassette. A 30T chainring with the 10T cog will take you to ~41kph @ 100rpm and 49.5kph @ 120rpm.

helio

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
my rear hub doesn't take sram cassettes.

In order to go 11sp, i need a shimano cassete, and a new rear mech, since the rear mech ratio isn't made for the 11p separation between cogs, and will misshift. this means a complete 11sp system. It was my fault, i went 2x10 because i feared the gear ratio was not wide enough for me, but it actually is, what leaves me with a very good, brand new, 2x10 system. is there any buyer? LOL

with the ti spindles, new ti axles, and ashima rotor, i can save around 200gr, taking it to 9kg, and with a 11sp i can save some extra 500gr. 8,5 is a world cup bike... even maintaining Ritchey wcs 120gr stem and a 170gr 710mm handlebar, and a reba... not going to mcfk, ultralite, and tune $tuff.