Author Topic: Considering building my first bike... could use help!  (Read 10249 times)

Aoiree

Considering building my first bike... could use help!
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »
Just had my mountain bike stolen yesterday (sad day).

Now that I'm going to be in the market for a new bike I'm thinking about building 29er using a Chinese carbon frame with my fallback being ordering another bike from bikesdirect. Soliciting help!

I was riding a Bikesdirect Gravity29Point3 19" purchased 2 years ago and was my first mountain bike. I should probably have gotten the 21" frame but the 19" hasn't been bad at all.

What costs should I be expecting to incur to be able to build a 057 carbon bike build with good but not great components? What might I be able to get in the $1000-1200 price point? There a good budget conscious way to get a lefty fork to drop some weight?

I remember back before I got my old bike there were discussions on buying a bikesdirect bike and a chinese frame and just moving parts over to the carbon frame, which was a little too much of an investment for me at the time.
Is this still done or worth doing? Buy a bikesdirect bike and move parts to a carbon frame?

My background:
I got into mountain bike for adventure racing and bike-orienteering purposes. I'm not a crazy technical rider and if things get too steep or rocky I tend to hike-a-bike, hopefully this will change someday but I've already tore one labrum :)

Adventure races I do tend to last 6-24 hours and about a depending on the event 25-50% of the time is spent on the bike on road/fire-road/technical singletrack.

I'm not the most well versed in bike parts/etc. Not sure how different the group sets perform compared to one another (i.e Sram X9 vs XX1 etc) just what I can google.

My Goals:
(1)
I'd love a lighter bike to reduce effort on elevation climbs during long endurance events.
Also I have to partake in the occasional bike-whack (aka carrying my bike up the side of a mountain, off-trail through bushes/etc)... so lighter is better.

(2)Trying not to break the bank... if I can match the level of quality in my old bike but reduce weight I'd be happy. Any specific targeted upgrades that make sense (wheels/etc) would be welcomed. 

My current fallback choice is: The next model up of my old bike Gravity 29.4 in 19" just cause it's currently $700 at the moment in the 19" size (link for reference: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point4.htm) if this falls through I'd look for another bikes direct bike in the $650-900 range.

Sitar_Ned

Re: Considering building my first bike... could use help!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
Hey Aoiree, welcome to Chinertown.. You've come to the right place.

Let's see if we can find you the best build/bike for your budget.

I will say that a budget of $1000-$1200 may not quite be enough for a complete carbon build. Your best bet, if you want to stick with the 19 inch frame, may be that Haro that PricePoint has a special on. Was posted about in another thread: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,50.0.html

There's only two 19 inches left.

Good bike for the money. If you were wanting to have a fully customized 057 then I honestly think you would need to stretch your budget to at least
$1600-$1700ish. With some patience to wait for sales.. you can build a pretty killer hardtail chiner for that amount.

That said.. You could probably build an 057 with lower to mid end parts for $1200, just not sure that's the best way for you to go. Would love to see the results though.  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »

That said.. You could probably build an 057 with lower to mid end parts for $1200, just not sure that's the best way for you to go. Would love to see the results though.  :)

I'd be impressed with a $1200 chiner build but I suppose it's doable.

One thing's for sure - You can completely forget about a lefty for that budget. They are seriously awesome though. Have wanted a carbon lefty for a long time.

Aoiree

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
Whelp I'll be doing my research for a little bit.

Figured if I get the frame I can upgrade as I replace things over the next few years providing I don't wreck the frame somehow or get it stolen again... which i'm only going to ride my beater 1970 roadbike from now on around town. sigh.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
Seems like the PricePoint Carbon bike on sale for $1,200 is exactly what you are looking for, I doubt you will be able to do a Chiner build for less than $1,800 with semi-decent parts, but then again I've never tried.

BTW, welcome to Chinertown!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

manmythlegend

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:47:04 AM »
Just want to say I managed to build mine up for just at 1500 last year. I saved a crap ton getting items on clearance.
marzocchi corsa sl was about 275
thompson post for 70
Slx crankset , cassette , RD , Chain , Shifter for about 215
BB7s for 90
Black Flag stan ready wheels for 250.

Ive since swapped out items but weight has been consistently between 23-24lbs for an XL build with painted frame. Id say start backwards.  If you can find Wheelset/Fork/Groupset for good prices then its doable. However it took me quite awhile and im still swapping parts that I ported over from an older bike. The 1200 Haro is about what youd get for a custom build at 1200 but without the headaches , waiting time , and hidden costs of tools and shipping.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »
^^^ I too saved a significant amount of $$$ being patient and waiting for sales - I also agree that working backwards is the way to go. Don't be set on buying a certain component at a certain time though.. Just watch the sales, clearances, and eBay.

The Sun Ringle rims that we both got that were being sold at that $250-$300 price range was a killer deal and enabled me to save a chunk of cash on the wheels. Without that my budget would have been quite a bit higher bc I wasn't willing to settle for crappy wheels, and would've paid $600 if I had to.

Would be interested in seeing the full $1500 build if you have some pics handy?

manmythlegend

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:58:56 AM »
Sure , making a thread now if thats cool.

Aoiree

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 12:06:39 AM »
Apparently my renter's insurance can cover some of the bike that was stolen... but may have to buy the same or very similar bike to what was stole as it's "replacement" hrrrrm.

Guess might be another bikes direct bike for the time being... upgrade to xmiplay wheelset or something or dunno :\

manmythlegend

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
They dont write a check they just pay for a replacement ?
Sorry Ive never heard of what insurances do for custom items. What was the value listed as ?

brmeyer135

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
My brother had his Spec Camber and fiance's bike stolen out of his truck...in a store parking lot...used crowbar's and just wedged them out.  Ruined the connectors on his Toyota Tacoma truck.  He had to present all his receipts for all the parts he had upgraded to get those covered.  Also, his home insurance covered so the deductible was required(around 1600) but, I understood he could have gotten anything(he got the newest Spec Camber as he is stuck on Spec).  I will verify with him and update here.

Aoiree

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
Bike valued probably around $1100 after upgrades & accessories (pedals/tires/etc).
Still in the process. Originally an $800 bikesdirect bike.

Guessing I'll see somewhere between $250-550 towards my new bike from insurance after deductible but something the guy told me was that I'd have to provide proof of purchase each component I'm listing to be reimbursed for them. I'm still very much in the process so I'll figure it out as I go.

Regardless, might start with that BikesDirectBike so I have a function bike and purchase the carbon wheelset and frame afterwards still haven't done the research I've been meaning to do yet.

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
Bike valued probably around $1100 after upgrades & accessories (pedals/tires/etc).
Still in the process. Originally an $800 bikesdirect bike.

Guessing I'll see somewhere between $250-550 towards my new bike from insurance after deductible but something the guy told me was that I'd have to provide proof of purchase each component I'm listing to be reimbursed for them. I'm still very much in the process so I'll figure it out as I go.

Regardless, might start with that BikesDirectBike so I have a function bike and purchase the carbon wheelset and frame afterwards still haven't done the research I've been meaning to do yet.

Crap that sucks man! Come on.. You can't be stealing a man's bike! Is there nothing sacred anymore?

Seriously.. that's crap. Especially since your insurance company isn't going to pony up any where close to what the bike was/is worth. Hopefully you get at least $500 - that's at least a hardtail carbon frame.

Aoiree

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »
Hoping to get ~$500

Slowly ramping up my budget as per norm when bike shopping.

Going back to the idea of picking up a (used) lefty fork aswell

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
inb4 you spend $800 on a lefty. Bc it's worth it  ;D