Author Topic: SRAM 1x drivetrain hard to adjust?  (Read 4579 times)

cmh

SRAM 1x drivetrain hard to adjust?
« on: October 27, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Posting this in the 29er forum because it's by far the most popular, and there isn't a specific "drivetrain" or "wrenching" forum. Plus, I know a metric poopload of folks here have SRAM 1x drivetrains.

Is the SRAM 1x drivetrain hard to adjust? I've been working with Shimano stuff almost exclusively for a looong time, with occasional work on my brother-in-law's older SRAM X.0 parts. I know Shimano stuff, but every time I rode the SRAM 1x I loved it, so when I got my latest bike, I got SRAM 1x - the third-tier X1 group, below X01 and XX1. Stuff works great, I love the range, but I have to say that I cannot get the gears adjusted so that they don't make noise and also shift well. Just can't do it. I brought the bike back to the shop because they offer a 30-day tune-up, and since I wasn't able to tune it out, I figured let them have a whack. Well, they failed as well. The bike shifts well, but in several gears makes that annoying sound of a slightly out of adjustment derailleur - that sound of a chain that's wanting to shift but isn't quite there. The sound that we got really, really good at trimming out back in the dark ages before indexed shifting. I've made small adjustments up and down and can't get the sound to go away, and if I go too far the shifting suffers, so it seems like it's in the right range.

I checked the derailleur hanger alignment - it was ever so slightly off, but I fixed it and it's still doing it.

Functionally, there's nothing wrong with the bike, but the sound is driving me nuts - it's the sound of a misadjusted bike, and my mechanic brain just Will. Not. Let. It. Go. :D

Anyone have any input? Yes, I've considered upgrading everything to XX1, and no, not yet. :D

I could bring the bike back to the shop, but I very rarely need a shop for anything, and I need to know how to fix this on my own. I could also try the MTBR forums, but... just... ick. ;)

carbonazza

Re: SRAM 1x drivetrain hard to adjust?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »
I tried an explanation at: http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=238.0
It is an XX1.

I changed the hose/cable few months ago, and applied the same technique.

However it was harder, that time, and it was really about getting the chain coming from the derailleur dead centered on the sprockets.
With a good light, looking from the rear, you can see if the teeth of the sprockets fall in the middle of the chain, or touch the right or left.
Start with the middle sprocket, and then the others. Moving the derailleur/chain with the nut on the shifter.
It is quite precise, a single click of the nut can make it or break it.

Having the B screw correctly set is important too.

Good luck!

Joelk

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:35:30 PM »
I have not messed with x1, but I have set up 5 xx1 or xo1/xx1 mixed groups and have had no such trouble.  They set up very easily.

I wonder if it could be the riveted together x1 cassette making the noise if the rivits just barely touch the chain?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:44:28 PM »
I have XX1 on both my IP-057 and IP-036, no issues with getting them adjusted.  Although the XX1 derailleur is a little tricky in that it can run into itself if the B-screw isn't adjusted correctly such that the cage isn't hitting the body of the derailleur when in the smaller cogs.  Both of mine run silent once shifted into gear, shifting is fast, and smooth. 

1) Have you checked that your chainring is spaced out correctly on the drive side? 
2) How about your chain, is it also X1 or 11-spd specific? 
3) Do you have the right number of links or too little slack in the chain?
4) Are you sure you have the cassette installed and torqued correctly?  I have seen an issue with the cassette sometimes not all the way down and bottomed out on the free hub.
5) There must be something misaligned, the SRAM 1X11 systems I have, and have ridden, all worked well and didn't make any noise while riding.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:47:08 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
Is it a Sram or Shimano chain? I am having a similar sound with my XT 2x10 setup. It's the first time in years that I have had a shimano chain and even though its a shimano cassette I really think that if I just swap that for a Sram chain I'll be good to go.

SportingGoods

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:16:20 AM »
All the right inputs have already been mentioned but I thought I'd highlight the key points:
- Get the chain alignment right. Not sure what crank/BB/chainring you use but it can easily be misaligned. I have fixed a similar issue by adjusting a chainring closer to the frame.
- Use a SRAM chain. Well, I'd say, in general, the more SRAM components you use the better. Mix and match often causes trouble similar to yours. It was usually fine by the time of 9 speed, it could be tricky with 10s, it's even worse with 11s.

rvc

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
I haven't tried this... but I've heart that Squirt is pretty great chain lube for quietening noisy systems.

http://www.squirtlube.com/

cmh

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
Well, threw the bike on the stand to lube the chain tonight and discovered two things.

1) The B-tension screw was all the way in, pushing the derailleur pretty far from the chain.
2) The chain was too long - going slack on the 10, so I pulled out two link pairs, probably could have done three.

After these two things were fixed, a little adjustment and it's running nice and quiet now. Pretty awesome that the bike shop was unable to find these things. ಠ_ಠ Oh yeah, maybe that's why I do my own work. That, and when the bike was delivered, the low limit screw was set poorly and allowed the chain to jump the big sprocket into the spokes. Thankfully my quick reaction and the the straight pull spoke design kept the chain from getting wedged in or chewing up the spokes. (there you go, the first valid reason for straight-pull spokes!)

Also kinda annoyed that I missed it the first time around, should have noticed both of those things. We'll see if it's fixed next time I take the bike out, but it's quiet on the stand, and that's a first.

Had wondered the same thing about this new riveted cassette, think I'll probably start watching prices on the XX1 cassette. Still, having found what I have, I don't think it's the cassette's fault. :D

Crank shouldn't be an issue because crank, BB, chainring - all of them are bone stock as delivered from Specialized. Chain is as delivered as well - KMC X11L.

Craig, I'd check for the same things on yours - Shimano chains on Shimano cassettes should be _silent_. Shimano chains are some of the best I've worked with, but the pin design on those is a pain in the ass, and I find KMC chains work great, so usually run those.

Thanks all for the help!

Molothi

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 06:19:06 AM »
thank you cmh for your feedback
as I faced the same issue, I'll start with what you've found
I just set everything before my ride (new build) and it was silent - I tested on the road near my house and it was still silent (all gears shifted well)
during the ride, I started to hear that creacking noise too but only when I force on the pedals - if I ride on cool, it's OK - I tried to adjust the settings with the gear shifter ..  no way to fix it  :(
the B-tension screw looks ok, so I'll check the chain length
I hope to fix it because I don't like noices  >:(

cmh

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »
I hope to fix it because I don't like noices  >:(

Exactly - bike worked perfectly although upshifts were sometimes a bit sluggish, but damn that little misadjustment noise was driving me nuts. :) Hoping this is the fix I need! Good luck with yours, if you find out anything good, please share!