Author Topic: Internal routing for -057 frames: initial install and replacement  (Read 3993 times)

IoC

Hey folks,

I've owned lots of bikes but an 057 frame that I'm building SS with a dropper will be my first internally routed one. The pictures on Peter's site (what an easy guy to deal with) show pre-installed sleeves for what look like derailleur and rear brake lines. I've researched using them a bit and am looking for some confirmation before things arrive and I build.

For the rear brake, is the install really as easy as just running the brake hose inside the sleeve, then removing the sleeve?

I'll be using the rear derailleur route for a dropper housing (external Thomson). I assume I run normal housing from the handlebar to the "in" port, then bare cable through the sleeve, remove the sleeve, and then housing to the seatpost? When housing terminates at the frame, is there a stop (can't quite see in the pics) where I just use a normal ferrule (plastic, since against carbon)?

For replacing cables (and hose), I assume I can just cut the cable/hose on both ends, slide the factory sleeve -back- over the cable/hose, tape it in place, remove the old cable/hose, and then install like new?

Thanks!

Sitar_Ned

Re: Internal routing for -057 frames: initial install and replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:04:28 AM »
Hey folks,

Howdy.

For the rear brake, is the install really as easy as just running the brake hose inside the sleeve, then removing the sleeve?

Yes. It was surprisingly easy. If I remember correctly, there isn't a sleeve on that side and the brake hose just needs to be fed through. Either way, it fits and was easy. I didn't even need to bleed mine afterwards. Almost two years later and still have never bled a hydraulic brake.

I'll be using the rear derailleur route for a dropper housing (external Thomson). I assume I run normal housing from the handlebar to the "in" port, then bare cable through the sleeve, remove the sleeve, and then housing to the seatpost? When housing terminates at the frame, is there a stop (can't quite see in the pics) where I just use a normal ferrule (plastic, since against carbon)?

If I'm following, then yes, this is correct except you don't remove the sleeve, it stays in the frame. And there are stops for a standard ferrule on both ends.

For replacing cables (and hose), I assume I can just cut the cable/hose on both ends, slide the factory sleeve -back- over the cable/hose, tape it in place, remove the old cable/hose, and then install like new?

Like I said, the sleeve stays in there, so it's even simpler than you're thinking.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Edit: After thinking about it.. If by sleeve you mean those thick clear plastic tubes then those come out right away. They don't play a role in cable/hose installation. I now remember having that same confusion/question. The sleeves I'm speaking of above are the thin plastic film sleeves that stay inside your frame.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:16:38 AM by Sitar_Ned »

IoC

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:32 PM »
Yes. It was surprisingly easy. If I remember correctly, there isn't a sleeve on that side and the brake hose just needs to be fed through.

Either way, it fits and was easy. I didn't even need to bleed mine afterwards. Almost two years later and still have never bled a hydraulic brake.

Slick. Hopefully I'll get the hoses cut without accidentally incurring a bleed...

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Thanks!

Edit: After thinking about it.. If by sleeve you mean those thick clear plastic tubes then those come out right away.

Ahhh, ok. Watching some other internal systems, not all frames have "internal" sleeves that are permanently part of the frame. Instead, they come with "tubes" that you can use to run the cable through the frame, removing it afterwords and re-adding it to replace the cable.

Should have parts here next week, so I'll post pics when it all gets together.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
Slick. Hopefully I'll get the hoses cut without accidentally incurring a bleed...

Feed from the bottom, in case it isn't obvious. And I simply used a thinly cut piece of duct tape to cover the cut end of the hose as I was feeding it through. Obviously, this could end messily, and maybe I got lucky, but that's what worked for me.

Should have parts here next week, so I'll post pics when it all gets together.

Looking forward to seeing it.. Mind if I ask what wheels you went with?

IoC

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »
I have an existing set of Industry Nine trails. I'm 185lbs and live in a place that brakes bikes, so they're not weight weenie: 32h aluminum rims.

They're great hubs - if you ride anything technical, the 120-point engagement is amazing.

Also nice that they're made about five miles from my house.

http://www.industrynine.net/wheels/4/29%22+Trail

cmh

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 08:32:56 PM »
I have an existing set of Industry Nine trails. I'm 185lbs and live in a place that brakes bikes, so they're not weight weenie: 32h aluminum rims.

They're great hubs - if you ride anything technical, the 120-point engagement is amazing.

I got a chance to tour their factory, everyone was awesome, and their setup is amazing. Would definitely consider a set of their hubs if I was making a price-is-no-object wheelset... which I'm not, at the moment, but yeah, I'd love to own some I9 hubs. I still think the aluminum spokes is an answer to a question that wasn't being asked, but they sure do look good.

If they're about five miles from your house, damn, you got some trails around there. We vacationed there this year, so many awesome trails.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »

I got a chance to tour their factory, everyone was awesome, and their setup is amazing. Would definitely consider a set of their hubs if I was making a price-is-no-object wheelset... which I'm not, at the moment, but yeah, I'd love to own some I9 hubs. I still think the aluminum spokes is an answer to a question that wasn't being asked, but they sure do look good.

If they're about five miles from your house, damn, you got some trails around there. We vacationed there this year, so many awesome trails.

Same here. I've wanted some I9 hubs as long as I can remember. Some serious bling and the 120 point engagement is something I've yet to try but logically makes sense.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »

Are yours all gold like that? Those are bad ass looking

cmh

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
Just found out about these hubs on Facebook from a friend who is building a wheel with them:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/onyx-sprag-rear-hub-sea-otter-2015.html

Completely silent, instant engagement. Sprag clutch vs. roller clutch should make it much more durable than previous attempts. I'm very interested to hear how it goes.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
Just found out about these hubs on Facebook from a friend who is building a wheel with them:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/onyx-sprag-rear-hub-sea-otter-2015.html

Completely silent, instant engagement. Sprag clutch vs. roller clutch should make it much more durable than previous attempts. I'm very interested to hear how it goes.

I'm also liking those Onyx hubs!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA