Author Topic: My wife's CS-041 29er hardtail  (Read 18664 times)

cmh

Re: My wife's CS-041 29er hardtail
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
I was considering this frame and am grateful for the feedback you have been providing. Never built a bike before so this is great! Sorry to hear about your issues with it though.  :(

Do you know if the problem your wife is having with the 041 frame rub is due to her height or physical build re: gender? I know it's not setup for your height, but I'm wondering if it would be an issue for you or a taller male?? It looks like a possible design flaw, but just wondering if it's tolerable for +5'10"

I saw CS has an MB01 listed and am now considering the MB01 vs the 041 if I am going to have the same issue

I think it's a couple of things... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a design flaw, but think it's something to be aware of. She runs a frame that is quite a bit bigger than would be expected for her height - guessing it's because she's got a proportionally long torso. (another reason why "women's" bikes are complete bullshit. Women vary just like everyone else)  This then means that her saddle winds up being lower than other folks riding the same bike, which effectively raises the seat cluster - which means it's more likely to run into her legs as legs are thicker higher up.

Also doesn't help that the saddle was about 1cm too far back. I've fixed that, but she hasn't ridden it again since then.

Loads of other folks on this forum have the CS-041 and haven't had the same complaints, so I'm going to say she's a special case and wouldn't think it's any grounds for excluding the bike from your search.

In other news, I also finally got the proper headset bearing from Peter, and this one is actually marked 51.8mm, and measures as such. Haven't swapped it in, though.

DirtyForks

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
OK - that gives me a feeling of comfort. I noticed you've only got a single gear on the crank in your wife's setup. Is this by choice or will it only accept a single.

Edit - I mean a single chainring. I'm on a very tight budget, so wondering if I can set up the 041 with a single chainring for now and move up to a triple and derailleur later.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:26:43 PM by DirtyForks »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
This discussion makes me wonder about the new CS-M01 frame, check out the top tube.  I wonder if anyone would have a problem with it as well.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
Back in the day I rode a Klein Mantra which had the single pivot for the URT up on the top tube, and that was pretty wide. I remember I'd occasionally hit my knees on that.

With the M01 frame, though - it's wider, yeah, but the wide part is farther forward, and since the upper leg is working through an arc, it might not be a problem - or it might be an occasional brush kinda thing.

She's supposed to be taking the 041 out today, so hopefully the issue is resolved.

cmh

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »
So she rode the bike again, this time off-road, which is good. Had some issues with the brakes which was surprising, sounds like the pads need to be either resurfaced or replaced - lots of noise and very little braking. Unrelated to the frame, though, and easy enough to fix.

The big thing, however, the leg strike issue with the wider seat cluster -- seems resolved. Thanks to the really long support rails on the SP4 seatpost, I couldn't get the saddle forward enough. Swapping posts fixed that, and the saddle-to-bar now matches her Scale exactly. When she was talking about the bike, she didn't mention it, and when I asked her, she thought for a second before saying it still happens occasionally but it's not such an issue. So, I think for most folks it won't be an issue at all unless you have the same combination of a low seat relative to the frame size and a very set back saddle.

With the bike set up exactly like her Scott in terms of geometry - and all the parts on the bike having done duty on the Scott before we upgraded to better - it now comes to the comparison of the bikes. She still thinks that the fit isn't quite right, which is odd because the frame geometries are exactly the same and the key measurements are the same, but more importantly, she thinks that while it's nice enough, it's just no comparison to her Scott.

Direct quote: "It's good enough - just not my Scott."

Of course this isn't a direct comparison, even if all the parts have been on her Scott already, it's got far nicer parts (new XTR vs old XT) plus a better fork (new Fox vs older Fox) and massively better wheels. Plus, it's far from a single blind test - she knows which bike she's riding and I'm sure there's some bias sneaking in there.

So, at this point, looks like the Chiner isn't going to be much past "backup bike" status, although hopefully once I take care of the noisy brake issue I can get out on a ride with her and see if I spot anything.

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
Well that sounds like a win for a backup bike.

I was surprised you didn't opt for a FS bike like the .036 for a backup. Something different for the quiver. That would give her a French Creek and Alamuchy race bike while still being serviceable as a "backup" for other races.
But if she is the princess and the pea I guess nothing else will do.

I don't look forward to her kicking my ass on it.

cmh

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
Well that sounds like a win for a backup bike.

I was surprised you didn't opt for a FS bike like the .036 for a backup. Something different for the quiver. That would give her a French Creek and Alamuchy race bike while still being serviceable as a "backup" for other races.
But if she is the princess and the pea I guess nothing else will do.

I don't look forward to her kicking my ass on it.

Considered it - and haven't ruled it out - but figured that since she prefers the hardtail and the 041 has the same geometry, this would be a safer - and cheaper - bet.

Already have a 650b fork sitting in a box, and a rear shock that would fit the Chiner FS bikes - so it's still a possibility.

cmh

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »
Full details here but after only a couple rides under Grace and two under two of my friends who were interested in trying out MTB, this happened:

This truly was a JRA - my buddy hasn't been MTB before and was literally just riding along on an extremely non-technical section of singletrack when there was a loud crack. Found the crack when I got home and checked - thought of it after reading dudliek's post about a crack in the same area on his CS-041.

Considering all the issues with this frame, I am coming away supremely unimpressed, and am not sure what I want to do here. Get another 041 which is apparently a crap design? Get the 256 which has shown to have a weak spot in the rear wishbone? Just go with old faithful, the 057?

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »
That sucks. They obviously need to re-think this design.
My vote is definitely for the .057 but I think she needs a .036 in the quiver.

cmh

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
That sucks. They obviously need to re-think this design.
My vote is definitely for the .057 but I think she needs a .036 in the quiver.

Oddly enough, her interest in another Chiner frame is nonexistant. Her Scott hardtail has seen trails that most folks would think require a long-travel trail bike, both east coast and west. This thing couldn't survive a couple light rides in Nox.