Author Topic: My FM-057 Build Thread.  (Read 56931 times)

Sitar_Ned

Re: My FM-057 Build Thread.
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
Yeah.. I know I'll need to fine tune the fit a bit.. There's no way I was lucky enough to just set it up perfectly first try. Good tip to bring a hex wrench with me.. Prob wouldn't have thought to do that so thanks.

As for the ".com"  being in the logo.. I tried getting it in there but I just couldn't do it without it throwing the whole balance of the logo off. I'll see if I can get creative and make it work. I agree that it'd be better to have it there.. But, generally, it's really only critical to have the domain extension in the logo if the site is built in a ".net" or ".org" because people tend to type in ".com" instinctually.. Maybe I'll start a new thread in "After the Ride" specifically to get some feedback on the logo. 

Izzy

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »

Looking better! The bottom text is much larger and more in proportion with the top text. I really like the new logo at the top of the site too. The one that just says "Chinertown" in front of the world. Think it's definitely an improvement. More simple and bold. Maybe use the one I quoted for stickers or t shirts or whatever, to let me people know what the site is about, and on the site just use the more plain one since it already says "Chinese Carbon MTB Forums" in the top right corner of the site anyways.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:47:32 AM by Izzy »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
Okay, CD.. Got the ".com" in there.. 

Sticker final design (I think):

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
Looks final to me :).
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
That final one is a pretty sick graphic for not being a graphic designer. Nice job.

I'll take one if you're giving them out.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »
That final one is a pretty sick graphic for not being a graphic designer. Nice job.

I'll take one if you're giving them out.

Ha!.. I absolutely will send you one. I'm just humbled that somebody even wants one - Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:28:33 PM by Sitar_Ned »

brmeyer135

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
What size are you planning on for those stickers?
Chainstay size?
Or back bumper of car?

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »

Very nice build, SN! The polished stem looks really sharp. How are you finding the steering? I've stumbled across probably the same articles you did about the benefits of a shorter stem, but also like Carbon Dude alluded to, it could get twitchy. Let us know what you think, after you get a feel for the bike.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:54:40 PM by Rigid_Bloke »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
@ brmeyer: The stickers will be chainstay size and high quality clear vinyl. Can't bring myself to put some cheap white background sticker on my chiner. Just can't do it.  :)

@ Rigid: Thanks! As for the stem, it's funny you should bring that up. I won't say that the steering is twitchy at all. So far, I really like the way the bike handles, but something is going to have to change about the cock pit set up, I'm just not sure what yet.

While I'm riding I find myself scooting my rear further back on the seat than it's set up for. Problem is my seat is already pushed all the way back to past the last measurement guideline on the seat rail. I could take it back a bit further but I'd then be past the guideline. You guys think it'd be alright to push the seat as far back in the rails as it will go, or should I keep it in the lines?

So I'm thinking I may need to consider either a set back post or a longer stem, but I'm leaning towards the setback post. Welcome any and all input, of course.

Another thing that makes me think that a setback post will be the way to go is that when I sit on the seat and have me feet on the pedals, with the crank arms parallel to the ground - my knee doesn't line up with pedal axle, and if I remember correctly, that is one thing that is looked at when determining optimal fit. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if that is the case, then scooting my seat back just a bit would bring my kne cap more in line with where the pedal axle lines up. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:27:25 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
I think I'm going to just slam the seat all the way back in the rails, and drop them stem all the way down to the frame.

EDIT: Seat is all the way back and fit is much better. Knee cap lines up perfectly with pedal axle when crank arm is parallel to the ground now. I think a setback post would be too much, but it would allow me to have my seat rails clamped within the recommended middle range of the rail, though I highly doubt it will be an issue.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:30:24 PM by Sitar_Ned »

turboenterprise

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
A little different than for a SRAM GXP bottom bracket on my XX1 setup.  Per SRAM's installation instructions:

Use calipers to measure the bottom bracket shell width of your frame.
  • 68 mm bottom bracket shells require one 2.5 mm spacer on each side of the bottom bracket shell.
  • 73 mm bottom bracket shells do not require spacers.

Carbon what did the IP-057 have ? 68mm with spacer or 73mm with none?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »
^^ I can't speak about the SRAM GXP bottom bracket but I can tell you that the 057 has a 73mm measurement for the BB shell.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
Yep.

IP-057 = 73mm
IP-036 = 68mm
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

manmythlegend

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »
Great stuff in here.
As far as bloopers go..
It took me almost a week to figure out the headset issues I had. I had to wait an extra week for the slim spacers so rode around with a thin carbon headset spacer till they arrived.

When swapping the shimano to Jagwire Hyflows I first under torqued the rear caliper leading to a huge leak that contaminated my pads. Then OVER torqued them and broke a piece off. SMH.

Tubeless setup took a week before it finally sealed because I forgot to put the lockring on the valve.

Oh and the awful part of saying "Im not spending $$ on that tool when I can use this or just lifehack my way around it"...then realizing you cant do it any other way and ordering the darn tool anyway.

Lastly.... the scary pop when I first installed some weight weenie 26" tubes but didnt bother stretching them out first. My first pedal felt like Id run over bubble wrap.

Anywho...I like the last logo , and the bike looks great. Have you had any issues with chain drop ?
Also I never realized you could increase the size of the last cog. Is it just a simple swap ?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Yep, issues I had when building my IP-057:

1) Over-torquing the brake line and crushing the olive.
2) Under-torquing the brake line and having in weep fluid.
3) Having never installed SRAM cranks before, fighting with the external hex nut, only to find I need to use a smaller hex wrench and turn the hex nut below the outer one.
4) Spending a little more time than anticipated getting the XX1 derailleur to shift perfectly (needed to adjust the b-screw).

Spent far more time building the FS IP-036.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA