Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

Trek Stache 7 First Ride

<< < (2/5) > >>

cmh:
Surprising video relevant to this discussion:

I would not have guessed the results that they get.

Carbon_Dude:
For me at least, I am not slower overall on the plus tires, and that's on a bike the weighs significantly more than my other bikes.  I feel that plus tires will become the norm and anything less than 2.4" will be "old school" tires, kinda like 26" wheels.

As you know, I have decided to sell my -057 and plan on using some of that money to purchase a set of 27.5" carbon wheels and 2.8" tires for my -036.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Carbon_Dude on May 31, 2016, 12:00:43 PM ---For me at least, I am not slower overall on the plus tires, and that's on a bike the weighs significantly more than my other bikes.  I feel that plus tires will become the norm and anything less than 2.4" will be "old school" tires, kinda like 26" wheels.

As you know, I have decided to sell my -057 and plan on using some of that money to purchase a set of 27.5" carbon wheels and 2.8" tires for my -036.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I heard the same about fat bikes, too. If plus size tires were so great everywhere, curious why it's not showing up in World Cup XCO racing.

Love my trail bike, "big" 2.4" tires and long suspension, but going back to the agressive XC ride of the Epic with 29x2.0" tires... there's just something awesome about that.

But hey, nothing solves all problems, and whatever gets folks on bikes and enjoying themselves - that's the important part.

Carbon_Dude:
I'm sure it depends on the types of trails you ride.  If the trails here were smoother and had even more climbing, I wouldn't be so sure that a Plus bike would be the better choice.  However, on my trails, 29+ is right at home.  I still can't get over the amount of traction I get on the big tires, and I don't know if it's the smoother ride from the tires or the geometry of the bike, I have less fatigue during the ride.

On today's ride, the trails were still damp and had some slick spots from a heavy thunderstorm that moved through yesterday.  One slick, wet spot was in a fast section, in the middle of a turn.  My front tire started to slide but then grabbed.  I'm pretty sure if I were on one of my other bikes with 2.4" tires, I would not have been upright at the end of the turn.  Loose gravel doesn't feel loose either, it feels like packed gravel since the tire doesn't move around, it just rides on top of loose gravel.  Braking is amazing as well, the XT brakes combined with the extra grip are a good combination.

Now that I've got about 150 miles on the new bike, I do notice a creak here and there when mashing the pedals hard.  I'm pretty sure it's flex in the frame.  I've pushed on the bottom bracket/crank when standing next to the bike and have heard the same creak.  Trek tried to stiffen the area around the BB but the high chain stay on the drive side allows more flex than what I think is typical for an aluminum frame.  I bet when the Carbon Stache comes out, Trek will make that area stiffer.  I'd be curious to compare the amount of flex in my frame to one of the Chiner Plus frames with the same high chain stay.

Carbon_Dude:
So after swapping my SRAM GX setup from my IP-057 to my Stache I started getting lots of creaking noises.  I re-greased the seat post a couple times, checked the rear wheel, re-greased the cassette, derailleur hanger, crank arms, crank spindle, and pedals.  Went for a ride and the creaking was still there.  On my last ride the creaking was extremely annoying, particularly at the end of the ride when it was getting even louder.

I was able to make the bike creak just by grabbing the back wheel and pushing on the pedals.  Yep, the creak is coming from the dreaded press fit bottom bracket.  The Stache has a PF92 BB and it's the one thing I didn't like about the bike when I bought it.  After owning Chiner frames with BSA threaded bottom brackets that were very easy to service, I didn't like the idea of owning a bike with a PF bottom bracket, and now I own two.  The Spec SJ6F has a BB30.

Anyway, after talking to the Trek dealer about servicing or replacing the bottom bracket I was ready to drop it off and let them deal with it.  Glad I've got another bike to ride in the meantime.

However, after talking to a good friend who owns his own bike shop, he asked if I had greased the interface between the chainring and the crank spindle.  I had switched to a direct mount SRAM Eagle ring and thought I'd installed it correctly.  In a final attempt, I removed the cranks, the ring, and applied grease on the direct mount interface.  Reassembled the cranks, and took the bike for a ride.  Like magic all the creaking noise was gone!  Moral of the story, many noises might make you think it's the bottom bracket, but check EVERYTHING else first, chances are it may not be the bottom bracket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version