Author Topic: BB30to24 bottom bracket Problems  (Read 2062 times)

SportingGoods

BB30to24 bottom bracket Problems
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:25:08 AM »
I thought I would share with you all a mistake I made. Hopefully it will prevent anyone from doing the same mistake.

OK, when I bought my frame about 18 month ago, for some reason I picked a BB30 bottom bracket. The short story is: As my current cranks were Shimano 24 mm axle I should have picked a regular BSA.
The long story is that I thought that:
- BB30 is new, I will probably want to upgrade my cranks to 30 mm axle in the future: WRONG (still use my XT cranks and love them!)
- BB30to24 converters exist and they produce a more robust BB, because you have the BB30 shell plus the converter, VERY strong then: VERY WRONG :)
Let me explain why it is very much wrong.
First, a BB30to24 converter needs to sit on a solid planar surface (the aluminum shell). A BB30 bottom bracket is NOT designed for cups to sit on the shell, but inside. So, when you buy a BB30, the vendor rightfully lacquers the outer side of the BB30 shell. It looks very nice like that. So, my BB30to24 was tighten at 40 Nm on the lacquer, and after 18 month, the lacquer was damaged and my BB was loose.
I understood then that I should nicely cut the lacquer around to expose the shell to the BB30 converter. Smart idea ;)
The next thing that happened is that the shell started to slide away from the frame. Not much 5 mm. Still enough to cause chain line disaster. I know, the design of the BB shell is really poor, there was nothing to prevent the shell from sliding except the lacquer (no pin, screw).
I have finally fixed it. The shell was still very tight in the frame, so I hammered out about 2 cm so that I could clean the surfaces and inject some slow curing epoxy, and hammer the shell in again.

It's now fixed and very solid, but really if I had picked a BSA BB nothing of that would have happen. Stick to it if you can, but don't use BB30to24 if you can't (use BB30 then!!).

Carbon_Dude

Re: BB30to24 bottom bracket Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I am a big fan of the old standard BSA threaded bottom bracket.  I spec'd a BSA BB on both of my Chiner frames, for easy installation, ease of maintenance, and minimal creaking or other issues.  On my new Trek, it came with a BB92 PF bottom bracket, I am hoping I will not have problems with not having a BSA BB on the new bike.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

seahog32

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »
BSA is my prefered type BB. If nothing else, it is the "devil" I am familiar with. Servicing is super easy too. That said, in the past I've been looking at a frame available with PF30 only and when I expressed my doubts about it this one was suggested as bomb-proof solution:

http://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

For other different reason the deal was never closed. That means I can't speak from personal experience. What kind of adaptor/conversion kit did you use if I may ask?

SportingGoods

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »
I've used the one from Rotor. Very good quality.
http://www.rotorfrance.com/bb30to24-acier-vtt

The Praxiscycles product you mention is very similar in design. It would have cause the same issue.

I'm afraid that my next frame will be BB92 or BB30. New Carbon frames don't come in BSA flavour... But I'll use a proper BB92/30 bottom bracket, not a converter. I'm very tempted by the CS-M04 now that Sram has released the Eagle (but too much money for now!).

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:03:31 AM »
My Workswell 062 frame came with a similar no-brand BB.
But PF30 to 24mm.