Author Topic: CS-057 Trail-XC Race Build - Budget Build  (Read 10365 times)

ebruner

CS-057 Trail-XC Race Build - Budget Build
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »
I've been looking for a 29r hard tail as a low maintenance training, racing and long distance bike.  I've got a giant trance 275 that is biased towards all mountain/trail/enduro so this bike is built to compliment that.  I ended up with alot of extra and takeoff parts over the last few months so fortunately, a decent amount of this build is coming off the shelf. 

The goal of this build is to build this XL frame into 23.5 LB trail bike that can do the occasional XC race.  We have a local racing series here called over the hump that favors a hard tail setup.  This bike will be built for that purpose but I am going to keep a certain amount of comfort so that it can do long distance socal chunky trail riding.  I'll be counting grams, but I'll be giving up a few in the name of comfort and ride ability. 

This should end up a mix of new and used parts with the goal of only spending around 1200 dollars beyond the parts I have laying around to build it. 

Step one... Procure frame. 

CS-057 in XL - 21"  I was able to pick this frame up second hand but still new off the classified section.   My 8 month old kitten Lucy is currently welcoming this new rig into the stable. 

I've been sniping deals for the last 3 weeks locally on craigslist and a few on ebay.  One of the big wins for me was this set of Easton Haven Aluminum Wheels.  This wheelset is very light for a 21mm ID aluminum set but the Achilles heal of this wheelset is the M1 rear hubs.  They are known for having issues with rear axle flexing and then in causing issues with the free hub.  Easton upgraded the rear axle and bearings to fix this problem.  Fortunately for me this wheelset already has the upgrades.  The only downside is that this comes with an sram XD freehub body and I am going to be using shimano 10 speed for now. 

Anyway, 180 dollars later I have a 1700 gram wheelset that came with new condition Maxxis Ikon in 2.35 and a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent.  Score!

Carbon_Dude

Re: CS-057 Trail-XC Race Build - Budget Build
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
Great deal on those wheels for sure!  Cute kitty, we have two fur balls ourselves, one of them is my avatar.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
I'm jealous of the deal you got on those wheels! Also, I'm glad to hear that the classifieds section of the forum is actually becoming useful for some people.

Looking forward to seeing the build!

ebruner

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:46 PM »
Another day and some more parts have rolled in. 

-Raceface next low rise 720mm handle bars - a cool 130 grams :)
-160mm Shimano Brake Rotor (I have a matching brake rotor in the parts bin for the other end of the bike)
-RWS Ethru axle
-OEM TA
-Seat Clamp
-Extra dropouts
-Shimano Bleed kit

I was able to scoop these handlebars up for a steal.  I likely should have gone with a flat bar on this bike, and I may make the switch based on my bike shops recommendations when I have a fit session for this frame. 

Fortunately the frame came with the RWS axle and the extra dropouts.  Iv'e got a red seatpost clamp I'm going to use instead of the green one. 

All of the remaining parts for this thing are on the way.  I should have everything in hand within the next week. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:50:11 PM by ebruner »

SportingGoods

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 04:22:03 AM »
130g for the handlebar... pretty cool. I thought my 189g bars were light (725 mm, low rise as well).
What stem do you plan to match these bars?

EDIT: strange, I've been googling Race Face Next bars and I don't see them anywhere around 130g. They all show around 170-210g depending on size. Can you confirm that 130 is not a typo?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:27:14 AM by SportingGoods »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »
If you decide to go with a flat bar, let me know, I like those RaceFace bars you have!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

ebruner

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
130g for the handlebar... pretty cool. I thought my 189g bars were light (725 mm, low rise as well).
What stem do you plan to match these bars?

EDIT: strange, I've been googling Race Face Next bars and I don't see them anywhere around 130g. They all show around 170-210g depending on size. Can you confirm that 130 is not a typo?

they weigh 130 on my scale.  They are 2012 raceface next bars.  When I look these up on bike scale and on the RF site they list as 165.  I suppose they could be knock offs? 

Since every post is useless without photos... Here's a few pictures of my last 29r build from a few years ago.  This was a Kona Taro built up into a budget all mountain build.  I actually really loved this bike and I still regret selling it.  I'm hoping that this CS-057 will fill in the hole in my stable that this bike left (and then some).

One thing that was special about this bike was the Sektor fork.  I did a full motion control damper retrofit from the revelation in this fork.  I will be doing something similar for the fork on this bike, stay tuned for more. 

SportingGoods

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
20% below listed weight... I've never heard anything like that. If you were planning serious enduro I would be concerned. But it should be OK for XC racing

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:09 AM »
20% below listed weight... I've never heard anything like that. If you were planning serious enduro I would be concerned. But it should be OK for XC racing

Good point. Since this build is meant to replace your all mountain Taro, then those bars may be a bit too light for your purposes. That said, I know Race Face has a good rep and make quality products but still.. something to consider. Or like you said, could be knock-offs.

ebruner

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:27 PM »
More parts streaming in and some getting dusted off the shelf to be put to duty. 

Parts haul for today.

-Sram S1400 GXP cranks and bottom bracket - Scored this one for $65 off ebay
-Giant Contact SL Upright saddle - $35 dollar ebay score
-Sram X-Sync 28t steel spiderless chain ring
-Easton Shimano 11spd M1 freehub body
-KMC 10SL chain
-stans valves, esi silicone frame protection tape, shift cables, wolf tooth b tension screw

Shelf haul.

-Praxxis 10spd wide range cassette
-Deore M610 brakes
-XT Shifter
-SLX 10 spd derailleur
-Shimano PD-M540 pedals
-Diety Seat Clamp

Getting closer.  Only like 3 more packages to come in and I've got everything.

cmh

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »
ebruner - saw the Kona photos, but had to notice the Miata. Beautiful color, looks like a serious bar. Curious to see more about that. :D

ebruner

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »
ebruner - saw the Kona photos, but had to notice the Miata. Beautiful color, looks like a serious bar. Curious to see more about that. :D

Sure thing.  That's my other money sink other than bikes.  It's a 99 miata that's been converted to track only.  In that photo it was still street legal but since then has been taken off the street. 

The 3/4 cage was put in when the car was street legal and is just now being taken out and converted to something much crazier.  The work was done by Blackbird Fabworx and that's who is doing the new work. 

Quick spec sheet:
-99 chassis
-03 motor with standalone ecu, headwork, intake/full exhaust, e85.  Makes about 160whp/130tq on a good day. 
-Substantial suspension work: no expense spared dampers, sways, delrin bushings
-15x9 wheels, 225/45 hoosiers, aero work, etc

Over the past years I've been building it up as a street legal time trial car.  I competed in redline time attack, scca pro-tour autoX, nasa tte, etc.  The car is currently being torn down again to be converted to a windshield less wheel to wheel racing car.  Basically it will look like the white one in the photo on the bottom in about 2 months time. 

As a street car.

Time Attack Car

Currently being converted to match the white car on the right. 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:50:01 PM by ebruner »

cmh

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 06:52:06 PM »
Whoa, crazy! I love it! Must be a blast to drive as is, looks like it'll be even more awesome. Thanks for sharing!

VisionTim

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:52:29 PM »
Now that looks like an expensive hobby!
http://visionmtb.com
Long Island NY Mountain Biking

cmh

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »
Now that looks like an expensive hobby!

Part of why I got out of it. Also realized that with a bike, you could strip it to the frame, hand wash *EVERYTHING*, and reassemble in the course of a day. With a car, that's a long term project. :)