Author Topic: CS-057 Trail-XC Race Build - Budget Build  (Read 10364 times)

ebruner

Re: CS-057 Trail-XC Race Build - Budget Build
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
Got some more parts in and made some headway.  Unfortunately my headset and seatpost did not come in on friday like they were supposed to.  Headway was some what slim just because I was missing those small parts.   >:(

Anyway, got a few things done anyway.  Got the frame in the stand and the bottom  bracket and cranks installed.

I converted the XD freehub body to Shimano x11.  Turns out I needed new axle caps as well, so that's a slight road block but they are now on order. 

Installed the E-thru axle.  Seems like loctite is smart at the set screw location.

I was able to scoop up a brand new 2015 Rockshox Recon Gold TK for 225 dollars shipped.  I'm going to be replacing the damper internals for motion control units from the sektor/recon gold RL so the TK damping doesn't bother me for now.

I've been burned many times on brand new forks.  Pretty much every brand new fork on the market from fox/rockshox ship with not enough oil in the lowers.  I always do a lower leg service before I install my forks... this one was not an exception.

Bone freekin dry.  If you rode your fork like this you'll damage the stantions in under 20 hours of riding.

Fox 20wt gold is a tad thicker then the rockshox manual tells you to use.  I do however love this stuff for lowers because it stays tacky and keeps everything flowing smooth.

The remaining parts come in today... I should be able to make big headway now. 

cmh

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
I've been burned many times on brand new forks.  Pretty much every brand new fork on the market from fox/rockshox ship with not enough oil in the lowers.  I always do a lower leg service before I install my forks... this one was not an exception.

That's a damn good approach - the SID on my Epic was pretty much dry, discovered that on our trip in Utah. Shop there did a rebuild overnight and it's been good since. I don't like doing fork service but I'll be doing the same with any new forks.

carbonazza

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
Now that looks like an expensive hobby!

That's what I like with bicycles. You can get the same kind of the gear the top pro have, for a "relatively" low budget.
Although I tend to stop looking after the build price, and trying to ignore all the recurring costs and accessories/upgrades :)

ebruner

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »
I elected to use a nashbar house brand carbon seat post for this build.  It's better quality than I thought it would be and decently light.   The only problem is that I ordered a 400mm version figuring that would be best for the XL frame.  Man I was way off.  Rolled the dice and decided to cut this one. 

Done and installed.

I'm really liking this giant seat with this frame/fork color combo.

I got the drive train put on.  Still waiting for the hub end caps so that I can properly bolt it together.  I had to replace the clutch mechanism on this SLX derailleur.  There is a stamped metal tab in these that is known to break and the one on this derailleur looked shady.  Praxis wide range 10 speed cassette installed along with the chain, cranks, pedals. 

Front end coming together.  New brake pads and fresh bleed on both ends. 

Cockpit mostly together.  I still need to get the fit correct and then cut down the steer tube.  Everything else is just about in place here.  This is my first carbon bike build.  I ended up using carbon paste on the stem, brake and seat post unions.  No idea if that's right or not.

I'm giving these Redmonkey clamp on silicone grips a try.  These guys are a local company and they seem to know silicone grips well.  This is my first experience with any sort of silicone grip so I'm taking a half step... I'm not sure I'm ready to give up both a my odi ruffians and lockon grips all at the same time.  Baby steps...

And lastly, it's not always rosy in craigslist bargain sloothing land.  These tires were caked in old crusted stans fluid.  I started out telling myself I was just going to clean the beads off and then the OCD kicked in.  Ugghhh my hands hurt and the two ballest point sculpin's that this took to complete gave me a little buzz. 

Done...

A few things left to do:
-Replace the stans valve stems.  They apparently do not seal with the easton haven wheelset. 
-Get Hub End Caps - I ordered these from bikeman.com because they were in stock.  Huge mistake.  I bought them 4 days ago with overnight shipping and they haven't shipped them yet.  I deserve this for not going through my LBS... le sigh.
-Verify Fit
-Cut steer tube
-Mount bottle cages
-Install frame protection
-Check Torque on everything

I was hoping to have this thing rolling by now but the few little hiccups that have showed up have slowed that down.  Oh well, I guess I'll spin a few more miles on the squishy one. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:34:36 AM by ebruner »

tripleDot

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 02:41:15 AM »
OT: That Miata is just gorgeous man!
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

ebruner

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »
Thanks for the miata comments.  The photos should be fixed and showing up.  I'm a firm believer that every post is useless without pix, so here's two more.

Starting to look like an actual bicycle.  Getting very close to the maiden voyage.

cmh

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »

Yer killin' me! I see a SAAB sticker. Had a 1971 96 with the V-4. Loved that car.

Jar_head

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 06:49:36 AM »
Looks quite good so far! :-)

Will you shorten the front brake hose? To me it seems pretty long.. Or do you wait until you habe your final cockpit-setup?
Workswell WCB-M-062: 7905 grams
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0: 6260 grams

For sale: http://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/user/193302

ebruner

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Commentary to follow soon.  For now here's a few photos.

VisionTim

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »
Wow that looks great
http://visionmtb.com
Long Island NY Mountain Biking

325racer

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 06:38:56 PM »
Sooooooo, looking closer at your photos, I question if that's actually an 057 frame.  Most of it looks right, but the seat stay to seat tube junction isn't 057 design.  It's a little bit 256 or 529ish.

Unless that is just 21" only design, my 19" has a much shorter junction as seen in this picture.  I also think the 057 seat stays are a little thicker than yours.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »
I don't know about that, his top tube looks just like my IP/CS-057.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
Whoa lots of nice pics.. Thanks for sharing.

You guys are both right.. The top tube is an exact 057 match but the seat tube junction is definitely different. Like 325 said, it's could be because it's the 21" version.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 07:16:34 AM »
Whoa lots of nice pics.. Thanks for sharing.

You guys are both right.. The top tube is an exact 057 match but the seat tube junction is definitely different. Like 325 said, it's could be because it's the 21" version.

You might be right.  Given the extra tall top tube, they didn't make the seat stay junction the same as the other -057 frames.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

voodoo320

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
@ebruner.... Nice looking build and a well-documented!