Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

MTB conversion to Disc Road bike

<< < (3/13) > >>

carbonazza:
Smud makes really nice parts. But as you said, communication is quite hard(I tried for a longer seatpost), maybe they are overwhelmed by demands.
72g for a saddle... wow, that is very light

SportingGoods:
I have received 2 boxes from Peter. One was my MTB Frame and hubs, but I also got some interesting things for my road bike...

B6 Bar. 190g. Really well made, with grippy section for the stem and levers, with a nice aero profile and routing for cables under the bar. Size is 42 cm. I already love it!!

Rims. 303g each. 30 mm deep, for tubular. I will fit those on my Novatec hubs currently on the MTB. I plan on DT aerolight spokes. See how nice the surface is, w/o brake surface.

My plan for the wheels is to start with my MTB 29" ZTR, currently mounted with Durano 28 mm. This way I will still have one pair of wheels while I'll be building 4 wheels (these tubular and my boost MTB wheels)...  :o
I will keep those for "gravel" type of rides. I'll use the Carbon tubular for real road ride (mountain).

SportingGoods:
Progress Update:

I have just been enrolled (by a friend) into a 120 km road race! September 25th  :o Better hurry!!
So I have started to put the bike together (before I get into the MTB):

Big bummer, I never realized that road bike crank axle are a lot shorter then MTB... Ultegra cranks are already on "Leboncoin" (the french Craigslist).

The plan now is to keep my XT cranks on the road bike and just buy chainrings (middle 34 and outer 48 teeth).  I'll first run a test with 32-44 chainrings, then I'll buy the 34 and 48! With that... I'll have to buy a crankset for the MTB :)

As you see, those are my 29" wheels. No time yet to put together the carbon Tubular wheels.

EDITS: I forgot 2 important points for those who plan to do something similar (MTB frame used as road bike):
- Road Front derailleur are bottom pull. Most MTB frames are top pull. Won't work. My Ultegra FD is on "Leboncoin" as well... I use my MTB FD, that was going to be useless on the 1x MTB anyway.
- Hubs  >:(. I've spent quite some time this week end to modify my free wheel (I'll have to do it again on the tubular wheels). MTB free wheel are all cross-compatible unless you use SRAM Xd driver, that's 9-10-11 speed. It's not true for road driver. 11 speed is wider then 9-10 speed. As there is no 11sp driver compatible with my hub I pulled out the file, and filed away 1.5 mm of each spline. I worked out a setup with my power tools, but it didn't work well, not precise enough. The file  (the right one) is all you need, easy enough to remain straight and remove the same quantity of each spline.

Sitar_Ned:
I've been considering doing something similar with my 057 if I ever decide to get a 29+ frame. I'm still just not sure about the drop bars though. I had a road bike for a couple of months that I ended up selling because the positioning was just too aggressive for me and I contributed/associated that with the drop bars but knowing more about bikes now, it was in large part simply due to the very aggressive geometry of the road bike, in general.. I've been thinking that maybe drop bars fitted to my 057 would be a bit more of a relaxed road cruiser type bike rather than an ass in the air road bike like the one I sold. Hmm.

Definitely sucks about the Ultegra cranks! Would've been nice to get them on. Maybe just getting some nice road rims and tires for my 057 would be the best route.

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing. Interested to hear your thoughts on how it rides.

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: SportingGoods on September 05, 2016, 03:43:30 AM ---The file  (the right one) is all you need, easy enough to remain straight and remove the same quantity of each spline.

--- End quote ---
Wow... that is a very brave, no fear, activity!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version