Author Topic: What kind of BB?  (Read 7064 times)

villywonka

What kind of BB?
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »
Hi all :)
I´ve decided for a 057 from Pete, and i will go for this sram as i find them more smooth than shimano. What kind of bb would you guys suggest? In advance, cheers :D

Villywonka

virgin carbon

Midwest-MTBer

Re: What kind of BB?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
Most of us would suggest a BSA style BB. This of course drives what cranks you use, but if you look for GXP compatibility you'll find a very wide variety of SRAM cranks and components. SRAM's BSA BB is called the GXP.

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/gxp-bottom-bracket

villywonka

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:19:07 PM »
Most of us would suggest a BSA style BB. This of course drives what cranks you use, but if you look for GXP compatibility you'll find a very wide variety of SRAM cranks and components. SRAM's BSA BB is called the GXP.

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/gxp-bottom-bracket
Nice - Just needed that one and only answer - That was bulls eye! Thank you! 8)

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:26:33 PM »
No problem! Just know you'll be best off buying the GXP installation tool which can be about $20-$25. It makes installation a breeze and is well worth it.

villywonka

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:56:21 AM »
No problem! Just know you'll be best off buying the GXP installation tool which can be about $20-$25. It makes installation a breeze and is well worth it.
Just to be sure - So if I telle Peter that i would like it to be BSA style, I can just buy a GXP bb and it will fit straight in without any hassle?
Cheers!! 8)

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 03:39:05 AM »
Yep! That should be fine. It's exactly what I did.

bxcc

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Same here. 4 bikes between my wife and I and all have a standard BSA bottom bracket setup running SRAM GXP cranks. On that note, are you looking for aluminum cranks or carbon?

villywonka

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 01:35:23 AM »
I would probably go for aluminum, og if it does not turn out as a bad opptil.
Cheers! :-)

Villywonka

villywonka

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 05:29:49 AM »
Hehe! Autospell to Norwegian ... Hope it made sense ;D

bxcc

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »
Yup, I got it.  ;D
I do have a new SRAM crank arm set that I was thinking of getting rid of as I found some different ones for the last build. You would still need to get a GXP Bottom bracket and the chain ring of your choice though. Also, I'm not sure if shipping it to Norway would make it impractical but let me know if you're interested and we can work out the financial side of it.

villywonka

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »
Yup, I got it.  ;D
I do have a new SRAM crank arm set that I was thinking of getting rid of as I found some different ones for the last build. You would still need to get a GXP Bottom bracket and the chain ring of your choice though. Also, I'm not sure if shipping it to Norway would make it impractical but let me know if you're interested and we can work out the financial side of it.
sent you a pm  :)

Vipassana

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
I'm always the guy who pops in to say I've built 3 bikes with BB30 and have had zero issues with it.  All three have thousands of miles on them and are on original bearings.  Two years old at this point.

I had creaking that I thought was the BB and I rebuilt it like 5 times before finding out it was the rear axle/hub/dropouts.  BB has never had a real issue.

But everyone loves to hate BB30 so there must be some truth to it.  It's just not been my experience.

cmh

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
I'm always the guy who pops in to say I've built 3 bikes with BB30 and have had zero issues with it.  All three have thousands of miles on them and are on original bearings.  Two years old at this point.

I had creaking that I thought was the BB and I rebuilt it like 5 times before finding out it was the rear axle/hub/dropouts.  BB has never had a real issue.

But everyone loves to hate BB30 so there must be some truth to it.  It's just not been my experience.

Same experience here... have dealt with several BB standards on my own bikes - PF30, BB92, BBsomethingelse... No problems with creaking or anything like that, but to be fair I do my own work and do it very often. I've recently seen pro mechanics complaining about press-fit bearings, and one guy said that it seems that most XC bikes don't have any issues with press-fit, but trail bikes tend to develop issues more often. Others echoed this sentiment. Theories included increased exposure to the elements.

The best part is I remember when press fit BBs came out and the big selling point was they wouldn't creak like threaded BBs. Now everyone wants threaded BBs. Maybe BBs just creak if they're not maintained? :D

If you're going with a GXP crank, though, really no reason not to go with the BSA threaded.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:44 AM »
I'm for press fit too. However I made a mistake by taking a 30mm axle in a BB92 shell( a diameter of 41mm ).
The bearings are more expensive, thinner and wear VERY quickly if you ride in muddy conditions.

RS VR6

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 09:19:46 PM »
It might come down to what crank you might want to run. If you're looking at something like a lightweight Cannondale SL or Specialized crank...then BB/PF 30 will be your only choice. The PF30 frames will also be slightly lighter.

With that said...all my bikes have been BSA...including the Banshee I just picked up. I go with BSA since its the easiest to install. The BB tool only cost me 10 bucks. If I ever need to replace it...it's a 20 min job with no special tools...just my 10 dollar wrench.