Author Topic: What is Deore XT to SRAM equivalent?  (Read 19817 times)

gohloum

What is Deore XT to SRAM equivalent?
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:04 PM »
Just a quickie... I've had a chance to ride a SRAM bike and really liked the shifting.  However, other than 0X1 and XX1, I'm clueless as to which groupsets compete with the Deore XT set?  I don't want to go with anything less that this quality.

Sitar_Ned

Re: What is Deore XT to SRAM equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure SRAM X9 is equivalent to Shimano XT

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:34:25 PM »
Any idea where to find it at a reasonable price?  I'm not seeing much X9 anywhere, just XX, X0, (eagle and 11 speed), and NX.   Saw a GX link but no stock.  Prices seem to be kinda all over the place.

So far, the best bet I have found is bike24.com with Shimano.  Even shipped to USA, it still seems to be hard to beat. :-\ 

Kinda hoping to get into SRAM and brakes for under $600 USD if possible... 

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »
If you're in the states check craigslist and eBay out. On eBay check "sold" listings out and you should be able to get an idea what stuff sells for and how often. Craigslist has been great for finding random bits that people are willing to negotiate on.

gohloum

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure SRAM X9 is equivalent to Shimano XT

Do you know where the GX and NX fall in? I am seeing more of these in 1x11 setup.  Most of the X9 is 3x10 that I have run into.  Obviously, I want to get what's the most current - 2016/2017 groupsets.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »

Do you know where the GX and NX fall in? I am seeing more of these in 1x11 setup.  Most of the X9 is 3x10 that I have run into.  Obviously, I want to get what's the most current - 2016/2017 groupsets.

For 1x11 I've read that the SRAM GX is just below XT level, and more comparable to Shimano SLX.. The SRAM X1 is equivalent to XT I think.

I have XT shifters and SLX derailleur bc I've read that the shifters are the components that provide noticeably better performance when going up to the higher level components, and the derailleur is basically the same just a bit lighter. The GX seems to be getting great reviews. Of course, buy what you really want but I wouldn't write any components off simply bc they are below a certain product lineup threshold.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:42:02 PM by Sitar_Ned »

final forum

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
X01 is XX1 but for enduro. Same internals.
Most bike shops say it's even lighter in person.
Xtr-xx1,x01
Xt-x1,x9
SLX- gx,x7
Deore- x5
Diecast popcan steel-nx

RS VR6

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
It becomes a bit more confusing when it comes to pricing. The SRAM rear derailleurs cost more on average than Shimano. The X1 and GX rear derailleurs cost more than XT. The X1 around 100 more than XT. Same with the cassettes. All the XD cassettes cost more than the XT. The GX shifter costs a bit less than XT. X1 is roughly the same cost as XT.

The way I look at it is if you go Shimano, buy the complete group. If you go SRAM piece it together to get the best cost to performance.

If I was to put together a "working mans" SRAM group:

Shifter: X01 or X1 if on a tighter budget
Derailleur: GX
Crank: GX (with the removable spider) or X01 (to help with weight)
Cassette: SRAM 1150
Chain: X1

I recently put together a Banshee Spitfire and cobbled together my SRAM 11 speed kit from free, used, and new parts.

Shifter: X01, new ($90)
Derailleur: X1, new from friend ($100)
Crank: XX1, used ($150)
Cassette: XX1, used ($0)
Chain: X1, new ($20)

My GF's bike has a full GX group and it all works together pretty darn well. It felt better than the XT and XTR bikes I demo'd before she got her 6Fattie. The Shimano shifters felt real tight compared to the SRAM.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:41:49 PM by RS VR6 »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »
I think RS VR6 answered your question in good detail.  Personally, I think SRAM has come a long way and the feel of a GX drivetrain is very nice and similar, possibly even better, in quality to XT.  A few people I talk to say they don't even engage the clutch on the XT rear derailleur due to it decreasing the quality of the shifting.  I really don't know what that's about, IMO, a derailleur clutch is something I will never not have or not use.  It works very well on the SRAM 1x drivetrains that I've been using over the past 3-4 years now.  You can get a complete GX drivetrain for about $400 on eBay or JensonUSA, XT brakes with Icetech rotors for another $250 on JensonUSA so I think you can get really close to your $600 budget going with SRAM components with XT brakes.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
  A few people I talk to say they don't even engage the clutch on the XT rear derailleur due to it decreasing the quality of the shifting.

Really? I'm sure it's the same mechanism that's on my SLX.. Guess I should experiment, but I can't see why that would be the case.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
SRAM have more flavours than Shimano in MTB drivetrains.

I guess XT is more close to X0 than X9 or an X9 plus.

gohloum

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »
Just want to say all you guys kick butt! I've been posting pretty heavy in here the past few weeks, and its been great to get so many answers from all of you.

So yeah, I think after much research and comments from this thread, I am able to go SRAM after all.  I'm just waiting on feedback from Box Components to verify if their shifter and derailleur are SRAM compatible.  I've seen some posts on the web that say they are, but on the box site, it says just Shimano.

If I can scrape up the extra $80 or so, I will get those 2 components.  Other than that, I can only go Gx for all the components except an X1 shifter.  I don't want to spend a lot on the crank because I'd rather get something I really want in 6 months.  Gx gets me on the trails and upgrades won't seem to hurt so bad. :-)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
Just want to say all you guys kick butt! I've been posting pretty heavy in here the past few weeks, and its been great to get so many answers from all of you.

So yeah, I think after much research and comments from this thread, I am able to go SRAM after all.

Thank you for posting your gratitude!  I think most of the members on Chinertown try to post good, factual information, not so much opinion and very little sarcasm (which I am really grateful for, I dislike worthless, snide remarks).

Also, being a SRAM fanboy myself, I think you will really going with a SRAM 1x setup.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Big Al

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
Hi, the query about SRAM NX equivalency specifically has still gone unanswered! Has anyone got an idea what SRAM NX is the equivalent of in Shimano road and mtb groupsets? It's not easy to find anything solid in it, however from what I gather GX equates to higher SLX/105 and NX to lower SLX/105. Or is NX more along the lines of Deore/Tiagra?

lRaphl

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
NX is more in line with Deore