Author Topic: 29+ 50mm Carbon rims or complete wheelset - recommendations?  (Read 3499 times)

circoloco

29+ 50mm Carbon rims or complete wheelset - recommendations?
« on: December 14, 2016, 03:32:40 AM »
I plan to build a 29+ Chiner Hardtail. I have built kids mtbs with custom Chinese frames, but. O real. Bike yet.
Frame and fork are clear, now it's about the wheels.
I have an offer from peter (Carbonspeed) for Toray t700 50mm rims (160$/pc) or complete wheelset with novatec 711sb boost hubs and sapim spokes and nipples (500$).
Considering 20% tax, it may be reasonable to buy rims only, hubs and spokes in Germany  and have it assembled over here. Not sure.
Does anyone know other offers, or can recommend a certain combination? Weight is a factor, off course.
Thanks in advance!

[edit] I found the right place to discuss this. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,978.0.html
Sorry for the noise
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:39:26 AM by circoloco »

carbonazza

Re: 29+ 50mm Carbon rims or complete wheelset - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
Beware that if you are unlucky, a wheelset can get an additional 48.5% of anti dumping duty.
While rims get only the normal import tax + VAT.

circoloco

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »
Good point, @Carbonazza, the anti dumping issue another good reason to only order the rims.
Your experience with carbonspeed is positive, right?

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:20:33 AM »
I have ordered 2 sets of rims and couple of small parts. Peter is great to work with. One set of rims were custom painted and the color match was perfect and so was the paint job.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »
Your experience with carbonspeed is positive, right?

Yes, very positive.
I ordered from Peter 4 frames, 4 rims/wheels, various bars, seatposts, headset and other accessories.
He is by far the easiest to communicate with.
Always responsive, and deliver very good quality parts.