Author Topic: Movies you've seeen lately  (Read 7828 times)

manmythlegend

Movies you've seeen lately
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
Many forums have this figured Id add one here. I find it best to summarize , recommend , but avoid spoilers (unless we have spoiler tags)

Godzilla - 6/10
I was really excited to see this. Im a huge fan of moves like Cloverfield and Pacific Rim. Im an AV junkie so any opportunity to test the limits of an Imax theater is welcome. After reading about the directors vision , and knowing Bryan Cranston was in it I was sold. I went to see it in IMAX during the weekday with only a few people in the theater. Cranston was great as I expected. The camera work was superb and everything was just gorgeous to look at. However the first 1/3rd of the movie and last act were filled with mediocrity. Without giving anything away the real reveal and battles really dont take place until the end.  While it is in fact riddled with destruction the middle of the movie is basically non important and you never get a sense of impending doom or importance. While technically a better film its action and story telling fails to match the over the top amazing fights in Pacific Rim , or instill any of the impending doom or fear that both Cloverfield and Pacific Rim did. If you go see it I highly recommend seeing at your IMAX/RPX or equivalent theater. And if you have to pee in the middle..go ahead.

XMEN: Days of Future Past - 9/10

I make no secret of my fanboydom. I love the XMEN franchise , I love the mutant storylines more than any other marvel aspects. When I first saw the teaser trailer my jaw dropped. I just couldnt wait. Then slowly but surely images started leaking , and some awful follow up trailers came out and my anticipation was gone. Just about every style decision made I was against. Future sentinels were NOT like Nimrod , Quicksilver looks like a total goofball , and past sentinels werent the least bit menacing. Why is wolverine and not Kitty Pride going back ugh makes no sense...so blah....

Boy was I wrong on all counts. Singer for all the bashing he took leading up to this finally delivered the perfect mutant XMEN movie. A perfect explanation why future sentinels looked that way  , an absolutely jaw dropping sequence with Quicksilver , and a masterful set of explanations to almost every possible loose end without ever having a "let me stop and explain like your 5" moment. Everything just works and is fluid. Acting on everyones part was top grade. James Mcavoy was just fantastic. Every XMEN movie to this point had some glaring flaw or terrible performance. Not here. Even the intolerable version of Storm by Halle Berry was great. Im not an expert enough to explain why , but XMen movies are always shot and look gritter than the rest of the Marvel movies. This one is no different but it works in a way that hasnt since the first XMEN.

My only faults are sentinels never talk or announce anything ominous (a hall mark of them) , and the xmen franchise has failed again to give me a signature soundtrack or theme music.

*VERY MINOR SPOILER*
Seeing one of my favorite mutants get absolutely obliterated twice in dramatic fashion made my 8 year old self sad but current self laugh out loud.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:14:57 PM by manmythlegend »

Carbon_Dude

Re: Movies you've seeen lately
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
Given we have a dedicated home theater in our house with a 100" screen so we are always behind in watching current movies.  We have not been "out" to the movies in a long time.  It's just so much more comfortable to pop in a Blu-ray and disc watch in the comfort of our home.  We usually order a pizza and have movie night every other week or so.

So, I feel bad when I post about a movie that most people already saw 3-4 months ago.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »
100" screen? Projector? On down the road a bit we'll have to start a home theater thread.

Lol, nah.. I'm behind the times too. Pacific Rim was indeed one really cool movie. Totally surprised by it. My fav recent movie is Wolf of Wall Street:

manmythlegend

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »
Lol nice pic.

It can be any movie , I'm always behind and missing movies until theyre on BR or streaming.
Im a home theater buff myself so I totally get it.

Chadding

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
Ha! That pic is awesome!

Good movie lately? "Out of the furnace" with Christian Bale, and "12 years a slave". Both great movies that seem to be part of what is hopefully a new trend in hollywood where the big budget movies aren't all about explosions and car chases and happy endings but rather gritty, sometimes painful human emotions.

Izzy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
If you haven't seen Pain & Gain with The Rock and Mark Wahlberg then it should definitely be on your to see list. That movie cracks me up every time I watch it!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »
Thanks for the movie suggestions, I've added those titles to my Netflix queue.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Watching Wolf of Wall Street for the 3rd time today.. First time I've done that since I was a kid and was forced to watch The Little Mermaid hundreds of times.

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
Haha, WoWS is a bad ass movie.

I'm looking forward to the new movie about Noah's Ark. I'm a pretty big Russell Crowe fan, couldn't imagine anyone else I'd rather see in this role.

manmythlegend

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Is this on BR or streaming yet ? I really wanted to see that.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
^^ Not out yet. Will be on DVD/BR by the end of the month. Looks awesome.

MTNRCKT

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:41:03 AM »
I just watched a ridiculously and surprisingly good movie called "Afflicted". I don't want to sat too much about so I don't ruin it, but one of the best movies I've seen in quite sometime. Perhaps because I had never heard of it and therefore had zero expectations, but checking the online reviews, I am not alone in my praise for the film.

Another really cool off beat unexpected great movie is "Let The Right One In" (the foreign version with sub titles is much better than the English version)

Def check both of those out!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:44:01 AM by MTNRCKT »

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »
I just watched a ridiculously and surprisingly good movie called "Afflicted". I don't want to sat too much about so I don't ruin it, but one of the best movies I've seen in quite sometime. Perhaps because I had never heard of it and therefore had zero expectations, but checking the online reviews, I am not alone in my praise for the film.

Another really cool off beat unexpected great movie is "Let The Right One In" (the foreign version with sub titles is much better than the English version)

Def check both of those out!

Read this post yesterday and rented Afflicted last night and wow, what a damn good movie. It is shot from a documentary/video camera sort of perspective which I am usually not a fan of but they got it right in this movie. Really liked it. Thanks for the rec.

randomer

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
Yeah I think you got my opinions down.  I mean I had no hope at all for Godzilla didn't get much back, where I hadn't expected much from Pacific Rim and yet came out really satisfied. As for X-Men, I'm glad its reaching back to the quality of 1&2, after certain other letdowns...

manmythlegend

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
Cool , just added Afflicted to my horror must watch list.

I have been to theaters since I posted this lol. I need to catch up but lots of duds have been released so not in a rush.