Author Topic: Would you pay someone to build a Chiner for you?  (Read 12406 times)

Carbon_Dude

Would you pay someone to build a Chiner for you?
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »
After posting a reply on MTBR just a short while ago, I was thinking that we could start a thread for those people that want a nice Chiner but don't want to, or don't have the technical expertise to build a bike themselves.  If we have enough forum members scattered around the country, there might be someone who would pay another person who lives nearby, to build the bike for them.

I know if someone were willing to pay me for my time, I could very easily do the assembly.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Rigid_Bloke

Re: Would you pay someone to build a Chiner for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
I'm fairly certain a lot of people would.

Consider the price of tools, grease, bike stand, etc, and time spent doing the build and it would make sense for a lot of people to spend the money to have someone else do it.

People are always willing to pay for convenience. How much is the real question.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:25:56 AM »
Given, the time, tools, and expertise required to build a carbon bike I would not consider doing a build for another member for less than $500 USD.  This would still end up being thousands less than buying a brand name bike from a LBS.  With that savings, the buyer would still need to be responsible for ordering parts they want, although I could make recommendations, and any warranty would be limited to what each of the component manufacturers offer.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »
$500-$600 seems about fair.. I'd personally consider it. Mainly due to time constraints and the fact that there is a ton of stuff on my "to learn" list and building an MTB isn't at the top of it.

Just have all components sent to the builder, but then you also have additional shipping costs of what about $75? So that's $575 extra over total price paid for components in the build. Subtract $200 for tools, stand, etc, that you wouldn't have to buy and that's $375 over price of components for build. Personally, I think an extra $375 for a completed build by someone competent that knows what they're doing is pretty cheap. And a hell of a lot cheaper than the 1-4k mark-up of a similar name brand carbon bike. Plus I could avoid some inevitable damage that I'd cause to to my own lack of experience.

One thing I'd like is it the bike came pretty much ready to go. Tubeless tires, rim tape, sealant already installed. Tires and suspension aired up according to my weight. I don't own any pumps and do plan to get some eventually but considering the price of a bike isn't cheap, it's difficult to buy everything at once. If I could get rolling on my bike and be able to post pone buying pumps and sealant and crap for a couple of weeks - that'd be pretty convenient for me.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »
To save shipping costs, if the buyer were close, one could arrange the parts to either be picked up or dropped off.  Another option would be to drop ship parts to the builder's address.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
Another option would be to drop ship parts to the builder's address.

You mean just having the parts sent directly from the place of purchase to the builders address, correct?

manmythlegend

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
I certainly would and have considered it. I thought about putting mine up on Craigslist with a big markup just to gauge responses. However mtb demand is low in nyc. I'd love to build one up and talk through a unique look etc.
Big issue is of course eventual complaints if things go wrong. Ex a guy over inflates and tire blows out , burps on trail , derailleur or hydraulics arent EXACTLY what he was expecting etc.
But as a premise , oh yeah id certainly do it.

manmythlegend

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
Another option would be to drop ship parts to the builder's address.

You mean just having the parts sent directly from the place of purchase to the builders address, correct?
That would make the most sense. Buyer can still track all items and get sent pics of all arriving items as they show.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
I thought about putting mine up on Craigslist with a big markup just to gauge responses. However mtb demand is low in nyc.

And that's the problem with craigslist - it's too local and therefore limited. Ebay is too cluttered full of crap for me.

RS VR6

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »
I would absolutely pay someone to build my bike if I didn't have the ability or the necessary tools to do so.

Bike shops typically charge around 80-150 depending on the type of frame or parts that are used.

I'm fortunate that I have access to a shop and their tools.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »

Bike shops typically charge around 80-150 depending on the type of frame or parts that are used.

They only charge $80-$150 to assemble an entire build? I would've guessed more than that for sure. Kinda hard to believe actually.. Mine tried to charge me $40 just for a proper fitting and set-up, a few years back.

RS VR6

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »
Pretty much for a full build up if straight forward. Some include cables in their prices. It really depends on where you go.

What fitting did you get charged 40 for?

flanglian

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:50 AM »
Wow! Labour rates sure are high in the US. I'm sorry to be an ass but if that's indicative then it's no wonder off-shore trade is booming. For comparison, my FM015 road build over here in the UK cost me £90 or US$150 at today's ROE. There's no way that anybody would pay $500+ for a build over here. It's a 2 hour job - no wrench in the world is that good.

manmythlegend

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Ive been under the impression once you get into things like tubeless , hydraulic, 1x conversion , and carbon parts you're cost ends up way more than 150$.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 03:17:11 PM »
What fitting did you get charged 40 for?

Well I didn't actually pay for it, but it was a road bike from BikesDirect... Was just wanting a professional fitting done (stem length and rise, seat height)