Author Topic: New DengFu M06 Build Coming  (Read 10103 times)

adbl

Re: New DengFu M06 Build Coming
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
Well, she's all finished!!! Ran into a couple of snafus but nothing really worth noting. Jut a matter of doing things twice to get it correct!

So far the bike feels really good and natural. I'm coming from a 29er hardtail (which is for sale now) so there's nothing really different about how the bike fits me. One thing though, i do notice the slack headtube angle. It feels like the font tire is 10 feet out in front of the bike....lol! It doesn't feel that way in the matter of how the bike handles though. Can't wait to get her on the trail! We had some rain yesterday so i'm not sure if the trails are open. If so, i'll take a good ride on trails i know well and give as comprehensive report as i can. Tried to upload some photos but got an eror message saying uploader is full. I even tried posting one photos of 64KB but same message. I'll try a little later.

steven-iam

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:17 AM »
Congratulations! Can't wait for your review and pics.!

ArAddict

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
Awesome build! Still waiting for my frame (stuck somewhere in the netherlands with DPD it seems).

Klaster_1

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
If purchased i'm going to take the frame completely apart and measure all tolerances and clearances, along with all mounting hardware to ensure it all goes together properly.
adbl, did you decide not to proceed this way?

adbl

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
I did and then again i didn't. When the frame arrived i expected to find a lot more moving pieces to the puzzle that i felt needed to be sorted. I found it to be quite a simple design with not a lot of bearing and clearances to be checked. Someone (i believe on this forum) posted a breakdown of the parts that make up this frame. I used that for my guide as to what i believed needed to be checked. Mainly i was concerned with pivot points and shock mounting. I have read many postings about people struggling with getting their shocks to fit. Seems like they were jumping through hoops to make things work.

So, as i first checked all the hardware, everything was tight and torqued properly. I looked at the main lower pivot point which houses bearings and made sure they were installed correctly. All was good there! As i talked about in my earlier posting, the rear shock fit in the mount perfectly with no clearance issues. Maybe i got lucky with the shock i'm using but the the bushings supplied with the shock were industry standard and the frame was built to that standard. Also one thing to mention, what attracted me to this frame was the fact it was a single pivot design. No pivot points at the rear chainstay/seatstay connection  so nothing to check there.

All in all, my intention was to completely disassemble the frame to make sure it was properly put together but there really was no reason to. I was very pleased with the build quality and how everything was put together  ;D

adbl

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
Here are a few photos of the finished product  ;D

Klaster_1

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:17 AM »
That's cool, any new impressions? What's the final weight, about 11kg?

adbl

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »
Initial impressions" First of all, what a great bike!!! I'm coming off of a 29er hardtail so it is a lot different. It weighs 25 lbs where as the HT weighed 22. Can't really say a feel a huge weight difference in the bike but the FS is a smoother bike. The HT is more playful and you can throw it around if you need to. The FS is a bike that you ride and steer, not flip it around but it's still fast! If you know anything about cars i would equate these two bikes as if you were comparing a BMW to an Audi. The BMW has a stiffer suspension and a ride that allows you to feel the road more. The Audi is more luxurious and insulates you more from the road. Both are sporty and capable cars though!

So the M06 specifically. There is a lot to get used although all good! I like the slack headtube. Combined with the short chainstays it turns really well but different. It's almost like driving a vehicle with 4 wheel steering. As you enter the turn, especially a tight switchback, you feel like there's no way you're going to make the turn. Then when you approach the apex, the rear end comes right around as if someone one was steering it.  That's what i mean when i say it feels like it has 4 wheel steering. The front steers a little slower than the rear. Just something to be aware of. It soaks up all the bumps without feeling mushy. When you take a big hit you can feel the seatstays spring back as the shock wants to bottom out giving you a little bounce back from the drop. Not throwing you off but just enough spring back to help the shock rebound. I like the feeling! It has been a very easy bike to ride. It feels natural, almost a part of me. I don't have to think about how to ride it. I just follow the trail and react and the bike does what i want it to. All i can say is......very natural!

Small bump compliance is very good! I can now pedal through rooty and rocky sections that i used to coast through. Rear grip is very good. I run tubeless tires with 26-27lbs in the rear. I'm still dialing in the shock and have sent it out to be tuned. From the factory the compression is spot on but the rebound needed just a little tweak to make it perfect for myself and the bike. Those who have not experienced X-Fusion products, don't let the price fool you. They are great components. I've been extremely pleased with them.

As far as suspension bob goes, i haven't noticed any at all! Now, i am using an oval chainring and i know it's not going to take out all the bob but so far bob has not been an issue. When i ride on pavement you can hear the cadence of what you think would be bob but when you look at the shock, nothing is moving. Again, could be the oval chainring is helping. Who knows. One thing i can say about the oval chairing is that it definitely helps on the upstroke. I try to concentrate on an even circular pedal motion and the oval chainring gives me more power on the upstroke for sure. We'll see what the long term affects are.

It's been raining here all week so trails are closed. Looks like in a few days i'll be able to ride again and see what she can do! So far i have been very happy with the bike. It does everything i wanted it to do and does it well. It feels stable and sturdy underneath me and it is fast!! Just what the doctor ordered  ;D

adbl

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
That's cool, any new impressions? What's the final weight, about 11kg?

Yes, 11.5kg to be exact.

steven-iam

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
You did a fantastic job, the bike looks great! 

adbl

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
Thank you! The more I ride it the more I like it  ;D I keep saying the same thing, I don't have to "ride" the bike. Everything comes so naturally I never have to think about what to do. It goes where i want it to go without a second thought!!!

samroy92

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
Thank you! The more I ride it the more I like it  ;D I keep saying the same thing, I don't have to "ride" the bike. Everything comes so naturally I never have to think about what to do. It goes where i want it to go without a second thought!!!

How's it so far adbl, still going well on this frame?

adbl

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
Yes!!! Still love the bike  ;D It's been a very rainy spring here in North Carolina so i put a pair of the new Maxxis Forcaster 2.35 tires on it. Really like the way these handle. They grip even better than the Ardent Race that i was riding on. Even though they are more knobby they still feel just as fast to me on the trail. You can tell they're a bit slower on tarmac but i rarely ride on tarmac, mostly single track. They grip very well in the berms. I weigh 190lbs and run 24lbs in the front and 26lbs in the rear.

No issue with pivot points loosening up. All the bearings are tight and smooth. Took a little bit to get used to the slacker headtube but now that it's natural to me i would never want to go back to a more upright angle. In the next few weeks i'm going to be bringing the bike to some downhill parks and i can give you all a review on how it handles on "downhill" conditions!