Author Topic: Essential Tool List  (Read 3976 times)

rpnyc

Essential Tool List
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time registering and posting. After reading numerous threads and reviews, I figured I'd give the Chinese carbon frames a try. Only issue is that I've never build a bicycle from the frame up before. So prior to jumping into the deep end, I figured I'd reach out to the community and ask for some advice.

1. Is there a master list of essential tools necessary to build a bike
2. I was going to use youtube videos as a guide, are there any particular videos or websites that you recommend
3. Any hiccups or extra difficult sections I should be aware of? Perhaps tips and tricks to overcome these obstacles

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MTB2223

Re: Essential Tool List
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
Hi,

on the parktool site is a nice Recommended Tool Lists:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help?query=&sort=postDate+desc&area%5B%5D=59

Youtube: use good search words, like "rear derailleur adjustments" or something like that

Tips:
- When carbon parts are involved always use a Torque Wrench and carbon paste. ALWAYS!!! Never over tighten, read the instructions of the parts. My onw rule, don't use more than 4nm on carbon parts. Use carbon paste between your seatpost and frame, between the (carbon/aluminium) stem and your carbon handle bar. But it's not needed when the stem and handle bare are made of alu.
- Use mounting paste for everything that should be tightened, like BSA bottom brackets, screws of the stem, pedals.
- Use locktide for screws of the rear hangers, brake bolts, disk bolts.
- And use grease on all spinning parts, examples: on the crank axle, on the outside of the bearings (and inside, but most of the time it's already lubricated) to keep water outside, wheel axles. When everything is on his place, remove the excess grease (don't know if I say this right, but the grease what is to much)

Good luck.

FirstCFbike

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »
This is what I got to build my bike... as you, this was my first build.  I have a thread in this forum with all the details of my build, check it out

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1205.0.html

Tools (all ordered from Amazon).  I was installing Shimano Ultegra on my bike... your tools might vary depending on the brand of the groupset... :
Park Tool Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool - CT-5 - US$15.26
Hozan 4th Hand Brake Tool - US$17.04
Best Value Torque Wrench Set - IRONARM Torque Wrench Bike. Good Bicycle Repair Tools and Allen Key Set - US$43.95
Park Tool BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool to remove and install Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets. - US$19.34
Finish Line Ceramic Grease 2-Ounce Tube US$9.96
Park Tool SAC-2 Lube Assembly Compound (4-Ounce)
Shimano Hollowtech-II crank-arm/cap tool, TL-FC16 - US$5.32
Park Tool FR-5G Cassette Lockring Tool with Guide Pin
XLC Pro Cable and Housing Cutter
Stanley 85-753 22 Piece Long Arm SAE & Metric Hex Key Set
Flexible Bike Cycling Bicycle BMX Chain Whip Wheel Sprocket Remove Tool
Blue Loctite
Phillips and Flat screwdrivers in different sizes...

You will need a hacksaw, tape, measuring tape, etc. to cut the fork tube.
Black electrical tape (or color of choice) for when installing the bar tape...

A bike stand is great... I got a very inexpensive one from the oddest place... a supermarket.  Aldis had one on special for around 30.00.  Works great!

I think that is it...

Have fun with your build!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:31:22 PM by FirstCFbike »

tripleDot

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:26:14 AM »
Are you assembling your bike because you want to or is it because you don't have much of a choice (i.e. bike shops too far, too expensive, you hate the mechanic, or you slept with the mechanic's wife... errr, just kidding there). You might want to check out the local bike shops, they may offer full or partial services that may save you some money. There are some tools that are too expensive in relation to the number of times you'd use them. Like say a press-fit tool, it might be more economical to have it done by a mechanic.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

rpnyc

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys!

FirstCFbike: I read through your build, your frame is actually the one I was thinking about purchasing in gloss 3k. On a mechanical skill level of 1-10. 1 being someone who barely knows how to use a screw driver and 10 being someone who can rebuild an engine. How mechanically inclined would one have to be to complete this project

TripleDot: I definitely see your point. I ride a used 2016 Specialized Diverge that I got from a garage sale ($200 I couldn't say no). So this project will be my first real plunge into the expensive world of bikes. But I'm leaning towards assembling my own bike. Correct me if I'm wrong but...although the initial cost of purchasing all the tools (and the fear of me ultimately failing and having to bring it into the LBS) is daunting. Considering this build will most likely provide me with the knowledge of all the ins and outs of bike components, I figured it'll save me time and money in the long run. In the future, all maintenance and issues can be resolved at home vs a visit to the LBS and paying $70 for a tune up.

tripleDot

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »
rpnyc, locations really have their dis/advantages. Where I'm from, no bike shop can last a month with a US$70 tune-up. Bikes and bike parts (the expensive ones) are usually 10-15% more expensive here but service is cheap. You can have one assembled, repaired or tune-up for under $10... no kidding. Personally, I only have a bike-specific multi-tool, a small leatherman, and a wrench (for the fixie). That's it, any problems beyond those tool is passed on to the bike shop.  But l totally understand your situation.

I guess what you can do, aside from identifying what tools are needed, is which tools you must absolutely have and which tools you can source out (borrow, DIY or bike shop service). I mentioned DIY, as I have seen some YouTube videos with folks building their own tools/stand. I believe I saw a guy made a diy press-fit tool. Although, l would have some reservations using it on a brand new cf frame.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

FirstCFbike

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
Okay... now that I have a bit more time...  that list of tools I bought based on feedback from this and other forums.  But at the end, I did not use all those tools during the build.  For example... the Park Tool BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool to remove and install Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets has a Shimano Hollowtech-II crank-arm/cap tool, TL-FC16 built into it... so that is a 5.00 saving not having to buy that separate... I did not know that, so I now have several tools duplicated.  But you need the Park Tool BBT-19 Bottom Bracket Tool for removing 16-notch external bearing bottom bracket cups to be able to use a large torque wrench to get the bottom bracket tighten to spec... so I would just get that socket, and the Shimano Hollowtech-II crank-arm/cap tool, TL-FC16 and skip the Park Tool BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool.

Same goes with the Park Tool FR-5.2 Cassette Lockring Tool... I got that one and then realized that the one with the guide pin is better for newbies... so I ordered the Park Tool FR-5G Cassette Lockring Tool with Guide Pin... a few additional $ wasted. 

Flexible Bike Cycling Bicycle BMX Chain Whip Wheel Sprocket Remove Tool - you don't need for the install... only when you want to remove it... so that is something that can be purchased later...   Hozan 4th Hand Brake Tool - I used the technique that I saw on a video of inserting a large allen wrench to keep the separation required and that worked like a charm... this 4th hand brake tool sits in its original packaging... don't wast the money on it... also, if you have someone to help, they can be that 4th hand :).  I did not use the KMC Opener Missing Link either... used the Shimano chain pins to install the chain... this is more of your preference if you want to go with a chain link.

So at the end of the day, the only tools you will need for the build are (I will leave the complete list at the bottom just for reference...)

A bike stand.  It just makes life so much easier when installing and adjusting the brakes, front and back derailleur, etc.  For 30.00 for the one I found at Aldi's, can't beat that price and it has done its job well.
Best Value Torque Wrench Set - IRONARM Torque Wrench Bike. Good Bicycle Repair Tools and Allen Key Set - US$43.95 - the same kit is found branded by many vendors with different prices... just find it with the cheapest price and get it.  You really do not want to over-tighten anything... use the proper torque settings when putting things together
Park Tool Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool - CT-5 - US$15.26 - this little guy is amazing!!  Don't bother with anything fancier... afterwards I got one of those multi-tools kit that go in the toolbag on the bike, so you might want to consider getting that instead to help with the build and then have in the bike as part of your toolkit... but this little guy is just great!  I did not mind spending the $ for it.
XLC Pro Cable and Housing Cutter - US$17.49 - you will use this a lot.  Specially if you make mistakes with the length of the cables  :-\ don't ask!  >:(  :P
Park Tool BBT-19 Bottom Bracket Tool for removing 16-notch external bearing bottom bracket cups
Shimano Hollowtech-II crank-arm/cap tool, TL-FC16
Park Tool FR-5G Cassette Lockring Tool with Guide Pin - yeah... get the one with the pin...
Stanley 85-753 22 Piece Long Arm SAE & Metric Hex Key Set - if you have a set then fine... but for 9.00... can't beat the price for both.  You will only use the metric set. 
Park Tool SAC-2 Lube Assembly Compound (4-Ounce) - $10.76
Blue Loctite
I have an air compressor at home... and still went and got a floor pump.  So easy and fast to get to 120lbs that my wheels/tires needed. 
You will need a hacksaw, tape, measuring tape, mask, etc. to cut the fork tube.

Not on the list was a larger torque wrench to get the bottom bracket to spec... you can rent/borrow that from your local auto store if you do not have one.

And don't waste money like I did on all my initial list...

Tools (all ordered from Amazon).  I was installing Shimano Ultegra on my bike... your tools might vary depending on the brand of the groupset... :
Park Tool Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool - CT-5 - US$15.26
Hozan 4th Hand Brake Tool - US$17.04
Best Value Torque Wrench Set - IRONARM Torque Wrench Bike. Good Bicycle Repair Tools and Allen Key Set - US$43.95
Park Tool BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool to remove and install Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets. - US$19.34
Park Tool BBT-19 Bottom Bracket Tool for removing 16-notch external bearing bottom bracket cups - US$20.24
Park Tool SAC-2 Lube Assembly Compound (4-Ounce) - US$10.76
Shimano Hollowtech-II crank-arm/cap tool, TL-FC16 - US$5.32
Park Tool FR-5G Cassette Lockring Tool with Guide Pin - US$7.85
XLC Pro Cable and Housing Cutter - US$17.49
Stanley 85-753 22 Piece Long Arm SAE & Metric Hex Key Set
Flexible Bike Cycling Bicycle BMX Chain Whip Wheel Sprocket Remove Tool
Blue Loctite

You will need a hacksaw, tape, measuring tape, etc. to cut the fork tube.

A bike stand is great... I got a very inexpensive one from the oddest place... a supermarket.  Aldis had one on special for around 30.00.  Works great!

In a few hours I will post the links from youtube that I used for guidance on some of these tasks...

Best of luck with your build and be sure to share updates and photos along the way.  I will do the same with my second build as soon as the frame arrives (should be in a few weeks).

FirstCFbike

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
One more thing and tool that I forgot.  On the bottom bracket, there was also just one spot that had some resin on it... got one of those thread cleaner blades with the 24 tooth spacing

and it cleaned right away.  Greased them, and everything bolted smoothly by hand before applying spec torque.

Which reminds me that when you do your build, everything is installed by hand first before you put any wrench to it.  You do not want to risk messing up a thread or a part by forcing it with a wrench from the get go.  Everything should go in smoothly.