Author Topic: Ican P8 full suspension build  (Read 45362 times)

johnnydamage

Re: Ican P8 full suspension build
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
so I stumbled across this when searching for a frame weight on the p8. sorry if this has already been brought up. but it looks like there is a company selling complete bikes with an almost identical frame (looks the same to me) its called a Barghest NX. there are some reviews and stuff on other websites too, which is nice. 

R_Pierce

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2018, 03:51:22 AM »
so I stumbled across this when searching for a frame weight on the p8. sorry if this has already been brought up. but it looks like there is a company selling complete bikes with an almost identical frame (looks the same to me) its called a Barghest NX. there are some reviews and stuff on other websites too, which is nice.

Yes sir.  Its a P8 frame with what appears to be a different linkage (I couldnt get any information out of Ican about that linkage either)  Evolve Bikes out of Canada also sells a P9 frame that they are calling the Alpha 29.

https://evolvebikes.ca/products/copy-of-evolve-alpha-29-pre-order

R_Pierce

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2018, 03:53:39 AM »

You can still likely build the P8 cheaper yourself with better parts.  Im a HUGE fan of Manitou stuff, so I actually am currently running a McLeod rear shock and this year running a Manitou Magnum Pro that I have stretched out to 150mm (same thing as the current Mattoc Pro)

I cant wait to get out on the trail! 

I also converted the bike to a 29er for this year with 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF in the front and a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the rear.  Looking forward to the trails drying out so that I can go for a rip.

johnnydamage

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
cool another one! must be a good frame then. I can't wait to ride either summer is commi ng! so here my work in progress. stuck a 100mm fork on there I don't need 120mm. stuffed an old trek shock in there. Mr hacksaw mr angle grinder and Mr drill had and Mr tap and die all had to make appearance to squeeze it in there. but feels good so far. haven't had it out for real yet though. you guys run fill cable housing for the shifter?

Silverado123

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
For the Barghest the HA seems to be 68.5 which is pretty steep nowadays. Is the p8 slacker? How low is the BB? I would be putting on 200x57 shock to steepen up the that HA. It could be an optical illusion that its 74 degrees but i don't believe it. The Followings SA is allegedly 74 and everyone complains that its way too slack.

R_Pierce

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
cool another one! must be a good frame then. I can't wait to ride either summer is commi ng! so here my work in progress. stuck a 100mm fork on there I don't need 120mm. stuffed an old trek shock in there. Mr hacksaw mr angle grinder and Mr drill had and Mr tap and die all had to make appearance to squeeze it in there. but feels good so far. haven't had it out for real yet though. you guys run fill cable housing for the shifter?

I do run full cable housing on everything with this bike.

R_Pierce

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
For the Barghest the HA seems to be 68.5 which is pretty steep nowadays. Is the p8 slacker? How low is the BB? I would be putting on 200x57 shock to steepen up the that HA. It could be an optical illusion that its 74 degrees but i don't believe it. The Followings SA is allegedly 74 and everyone complains that its way too slack.

The P8 is 68 degrees with a 120mm fork.  Also running a 200 x 57 shock won't steepen the seat tube angle.  The eye to eye is the same length.  Just more stroke.  It is 74 degrees.  And it's easily rideable.  If a person can't learn to lean weight forward on clinbs then this is likely NOT the bike for you.  Neither are 80% of the mid to long travel bikes on the market in that case.

My current HTA is 66.5 degrees with a 150mm travel fork just for reference.

johnnydamage

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
can anyone confirm that mine is a p8 because I had to make a couple small notches in the linkage so that it wouldn't bind on bottom out and my shock only has a 53mm stroke. and you guys run a 57? bought it used so I actually don't know for sure maybe cuz my eye to eye on shock is 7.75 inches?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:33:09 PM by johnnydamage »

R_Pierce

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
can anyone confirm that mine is a p8 because I had to make a couple small notches in the linkage so that it wouldn't bind on bottom out and my shock only has a 53mm stroke. and you guys run a 57? bought it used so I actually don't know for sure maybe cuz my eye to eye on shock is 7.75 inches?

Post a picture.

Silverado123

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
I hear ya.  My Carbine 29 is about 71/72. With the fork at 150  i guess it would make the seat angle about 72. It would also raise the bb which might be good bc i hear its quite low.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:26:05 PM by Silverado123 »

R_Pierce

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2018, 03:15:13 AM »
I hear ya.  My Carbine 29 is about 71/72. With the fork at 150  i guess it would make the seat angle about 72. It would also raise the bb which might be good bc i hear its quite low.

Ill actually try and get a "close to accurate" measurement of the seat tube angle for you this weekend sometime.  Remember though that mine will be slacker than listed more than likely due to the increased fork height.  Ill measure it at the current seat height and then measure it correctly (seat level with stem instead of above it).

If you want a steeper seat tube you can check out Transition with their new geometry but man they are expensive!

Silverado123

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:40 AM »
That would be great! The fork i would be using is 150 29er fork. It really sounds like i want to build a rig close yours.
The Transitions are nice but very expensive!

R_Pierce

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2018, 05:40:27 AM »
That would be great! The fork i would be using is 150 29er fork. It really sounds like i want to build a rig close yours.
The Transitions are nice but very expensive!

No problem!  Ill try and get this for you Saturday night or Sunday morning.  I have to go out to storage and get a level and my angle finder.

Silverado123

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2018, 05:48:24 AM »
Take your time☺ Do you have any pictures posted anywhere on here?

R_Pierce

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2018, 05:52:52 AM »
Take your time☺ Do you have any pictures posted anywhere on here?

yes, you are on my post :)  There are tons of pictures in this thread.  But below is a new one that I just took with the 29" wheels.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:08:54 AM by R_Pierce »