Author Topic: Ican P8 full suspension build  (Read 45355 times)

R_Pierce

Re: Ican P8 full suspension build
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »
Take your time☺ Do you have any pictures posted anywhere on here?

Alright, mine currently measures about 73 degrees measuring to the center of the seat post at ride height for me.  So pretty slack.  Measuring how bikes are measured (top of head tube level to where it intersects the seat tube) its 74 degrees just as stated.

R_Pierce

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
Here it is with the 29ers.  This is how the bike currently sits.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:19:48 AM by R_Pierce »

Silverado123

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
Ok cool man! Looks rad and that helps a lot!

johnnydamage

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
my bb is 11.5 inches unsagged with a 100mm fork. how about you guys?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:58:15 PM by johnnydamage »

R_Pierce

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:57 AM »
my bb is 11.5 inches untagged with a 100mm fork. how about you guys?

Thats going to cause you issues.  That is LOW.  Mine is right at 13" to center of BB on the 29" wheels and 150mm fork.

johnnydamage

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2018, 06:47:24 AM »
what do you think would be the minimum for xc racing?

R_Pierce

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
what do you think would be the minimum for xc racing?

You may be OK depending on how low your obstacles are (roots, rocks, etc)  But I would say you should run 120mm in the front at a minimum.

Bos

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Hi Guys

I'm New to Chinertown. Some great looking bikes on here. The posts on the P8 has been very helpful. Im looking at ordering one for myself. I've been in contact with Melody but I dont think the is to techninally clued up. I will apprechiate some advice.

What comes included with the frame?
Any Headset?
Rear through axel?
Shock mounting bolts/Bushings?

I will be doing just as much climbing and endurance riding as I will be doing trails. I will be running a 29'' RS Revelation 130mm on this bike with 2.3 inch tyres. Its mentioned on some threads, especially MTBR that the seat angle of the P8 looks deceptively slack but that it is the way the tube runs, and not the effective seat angle that is actually slack. So can you guys confirm, Its not a problem?
The BB height seems a common topic on all threads about the P8 but most of you seem to live with it. I will however not be running crown race spacers and 140mm forks to slacken things out since the 68 deg is kind of OK for me. I have 175 cranks and since I'm 6'' on the dot I wont be looking at getting shorter cranks to combat rock strikes. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.

R_Pierce

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
Hi Guys

I'm New to Chinertown. Some great looking bikes on here. The posts on the P8 has been very helpful. Im looking at ordering one for myself. I've been in contact with Melody but I dont think the is to techninally clued up. I will apprechiate some advice.

What comes included with the frame?

Headset, through axle, bolts for the shock (no bushings.  Read back through my thread here and you will see what size bushings you need)

I will be doing just as much climbing and endurance riding as I will be doing trails. I will be running a 29'' RS Revelation 130mm on this bike with 2.3 inch tyres. Its mentioned on some threads, especially MTBR that the seat angle of the P8 looks deceptively slack but that it is the way the tube runs, and not the effective seat angle that is actually slack. So can you guys confirm, Its not a problem?

I just measured the seat angle and its just as the drawing says.  Its an effective STA of 74*.  Thats right in line with what every other top tier bike runs of thi caliber.

The BB height seems a common topic on all threads about the P8 but most of you seem to live with it. I will however not be running crown race spacers and 140mm forks to slacken things out since the 68 deg is kind of OK for me. I have 175 cranks and since I'm 6'' on the dot I wont be looking at getting shorter cranks to combat rock strikes. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.

The BB height is low on this bike.  But its not much lower than a lot of other similar bikes (Transition, Norco, Ibis, etc current generation of bikes)  I would advise you to keep an open mind about going to 170mm cranks though.  That 5mm really does make a difference and you wont notice any power loss contrary to what a lot of these forums threads will have you believe.  Im 5'11" tall and running 165's.  Didnt notice a lick of difference.  Anywhere.

Honestly you cannot go wrong with the P8. Its a very solid bike!  And the geo charts are pretty damn accurate.

Bos

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
Thanks for the awesome reply bro. Seems there is nothing to fear, just need to hit it.

I have the option of getting a Cane Creek DB Inline 200mm X 50mm at a steal. The other option would be a plain old Float Evolution which seems to be quite widely available off Giant Trance's They are the 200mm x 57mm though. So I'd get that extra 15mm of travel. However it might come down to quality not quantity in this case.

R_Pierce

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:11 PM »
Thanks for the awesome reply bro. Seems there is nothing to fear, just need to hit it.

I have the option of getting a Cane Creek DB Inline 200mm X 50mm at a steal. The other option would be a plain old Float Evolution which seems to be quite widely available off Giant Trance's They are the 200mm x 57mm though. So I'd get that extra 15mm of travel. However it might come down to quality not quantity in this case.

I would look at the Manitou Mcleod to be honest.  You wont find a better rear shock for twice the money.

Bos

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2018, 01:53:41 AM »
Thanks Bro. I will check it out seems good value..

With regards to the sag & BB height. I'm in two minds about which length stroke shock to get.  I don't want the extra 15 mm of rear travel to take away from the endurance capabilities. I could probably still set the sag the same as the shorter travel option but I will be paying for it in small bump sensitivity a little bit.

Melody from ICAN just informed me that they are out of stock in size L. I'm quite upset because just last week I asked her about stock levels and she said not to worry.  Reason for my concern is that I have a "lift" back from China for the frame to save the airfreight. My lift is returning by April 12. Have any of you had to wait for production? How reliable are they when it comes to deadlines. My past dealing with chineese factories makes me a little nervous.

R_Pierce

« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »

With regards to the sag & BB height. I'm in two minds about which length stroke shock to get.  I don't want the extra 15 mm of rear travel to take away from the endurance capabilities. I could probably still set the sag the same as the shorter travel option but I will be paying for it in small bump sensitivity a little bit.

Melody from ICAN just informed me that they are out of stock in size L. I'm quite upset because just last week I asked her about stock levels and she said not to worry.  Reason for my concern is that I have a "lift" back from China for the frame to save the airfreight. My lift is returning by April 12. Have any of you had to wait for production? How reliable are they when it comes to deadlines. My past dealing with chineese factories makes me a little nervous.

oh man, that sucks!  I wouldnt depend on a deadline from ANY chinese factory.  With that said, Ican in general has been VERY good to deal with, and very responsive to messages!  So I guess you never know. 

R_Pierce

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »

BOS, are you in the US?  And do you need a large?  Im thinking about transferring parts from my medium over to a large size frame just to see if I like the extra reach on the large or not.  If I end up doing that, I would likely put my medium frame up for sale.

Bos

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »
Pierce, I'm afraid I'm not. Bad luck there.

Melody came back to me and said If I made payment they could manufacture in 10 days time. So I'm in luck.
Have any of you done a transfer to their Western Union account?  Or have all payed by PayPal.
Getting quite excited now.

Can you see any problems If I asked them to disassemble the frame so they can use a smaller box? How complicated are the small parts?

Regards