Author Topic: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.  (Read 75744 times)

Vipassana

Re: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
Bumping this thread up from the dead for a bit of an update.

We were able to coordinate a ride with all three bikes this past weekend.  This is the first time all three have been together in over a year.  Work, children, life and made it so there were only two of us riding together at any one time for too long.

I'm happy to report that all three are still running great with zero issues related to the China carbon parts.  The SRAM drivetrains have also been remarkably reliable.  All of us are still on the original headset and crank bearings.  Only I've needed to replace a chain and chainring.  All cassettes are still going strong. This is probably due to very regular cleaning and maintenance coupled with our normally dry climate.  There have been some broken spokes and a freewheel along the way, but no cracked carbon.

A+ for the IP-256SL and for the wheels/cockpit components.  We all agree that these bikes have been some of the best money we've spent.

Next year we are planning to build full suspension XC race bikes.  But we will be using the Specialized Epic frame as a starting point.  I just feel that there isn't anything directly comparable from the Chinese vendors yet, though that could change.

Here are some pictures after our morning ride of ~18 miles.

Vipassana

« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2018, 10:43:12 PM »
UPDATE:  One of the three musketeers was killed in action about a month ago and sadly it was mine (the orange, blue, and black frame).  :'(  The frame was cracked on the right seat stay in two places.

I need to stress at this point that it was not a fault of the frame, but instead a mistake/accident on my part.

I was riding at about 2-3 mph and went to bunny hop up onto a curb.  My right foot wasn't clipped in properly and slipped off of the pedal.  I came down with my the arch of my foot on the rear seat stay.  Since I was rolling forward, the rotating wheel caught my heel and forced it down in between the spokes and the seat stay.  I felt my foot getting caught and heard a crunch.  I've never heard carbon crack before, but I knew instantly what it was. 

I ended up riding the bike 10 miles home without issue except for a popping noise when pedaling.

It feels like losing a friend.  I've had this bike for 3.5 years now and put thousands and thousands of miles on it.  I was riding it 9 to 12 hours a week for the entirety of 2015.  And plenty of riding in 2016 and 2017 as well.  Everything from road rides to rock gardens.  I could not be more pleased with the 256-SL frame.

I have contacted Peter.  The CS-256-SL is out of production now.  He had a single one left in stock, but I decided to upgrade to the CS-218-SL with the improved seat stays and thinner seat post.  I'll have a build thread up soon.

Here are some pictures of the breaks:

tripleDot

« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2018, 05:06:13 AM »
On the bright side, you'll get to build D'Artagnan.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)