Author Topic: HISTORIC BRAKE PART PICS  (Read 4860 times)

Inertia

HISTORIC BRAKE PART PICS
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
DATE LINE: CLARK & HOT SPRING COUNTY
CIRCA: 2000AD

I thought there may be some interest on the background of these parts?
Arkansas has some unusual attributes some of which are/were/is machine capabilities.
In 2000 AD the Clark County Industrial Facility housed a once know company: Hot Metal Molding; and
along with their state of the art understanding in molten metal rough castings for then SATURN AUTO
was a interesting but short lived shot at the Bike brake parts pictured. The image shows parts that had
holes drilled as well as slots machine for the product mounting and function.

The holding fixture was designed-machined-assembled fully tested with an end result
of 'good-parts' streaming from Clark County to Malvern, AR. were the CNC Machining took place.
Thousands upon thousands were done this way 16 to the fixture at a time. While the display pic
shows no parts loaded note the other fixture was inside to the right, loaded with 16 pcs. being machine.
The palletized function allowed one man to push the button starting hole drilling and slotting followed by
removal of parts followed by the loading again. Counting scales were used in lieu of making real time physical
counts. We're talking the transfer of 5-10 thousand parts a day?

Then one day: wha-la it all came to a grinding halt. But just look at where the 'bike' notion is going? 8)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:15:13 AM by Inertia »

Sitar_Ned

Re: HISTORIC BRAKE PART PICS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
Well.. Inertia, I will say that you certainly have some unique and original ideas, perspectives and interests.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing. Funny that you mention Hot Spring county as I sit in it as I type this. Even funnier you mention CNC machining in Malvern as I used to sell industrial supplies to pretty much every machinist in that tiny town. Small world.. Welcome to Chinertown.

In one of your other posts you said:

being very very new to "all of this" (even interacting/posting)
I mean not to insult any of ya you (I'm still looking at my ol'iron rides of yester-year.

First of all.. you are certainly not insulting us. You are very welcome here - feel free to post whatever you want! Let me or one of the mods know if you need help with anything.

I'm curious.. You say you're "very very new to all of this, and that you're still looking at your ol'iron rides of yester-year"... Mind if I respectfully ask how old you are, Inertia? Are you completely new to the internet or just to forums/online interacting? Feel free to not answer.

Inertia

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
Hey man,
How about this for answerer?
The Windsor was my ride when I was 20'ish in 1971?
The wheel hub shot is the original; and
the Micheline is mounted on a re-laced wheel for strength for
'off-road-use'...in a northern area of America cinder based horse-trails
were utilized for a moto-cross close quarter ride; and
when one went down many a time it looked like turn one of a moto.
It has hung from my ceiling for 20 plus years too.

The Huffy 15 Spd is my daily rider
(as I now have realized I can ride faster than many can run)
yet always the sensation of 'a-ride' and the wind in your face
can neer be replaced even after 140+ back in the day?

ovr-n-out

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »
Where you at, Inertia? Haven't seen you randomly pop up in a thread in a while.. I enjoyed the different perspectives you'd bring.

Inertia

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »
 8)
Where oh where have I been; and
what I've been doing? Quantum undertakings:
whereas there is the physical; and
within this: every notion of commotion to affect
the physics and dynamics of anything made by man.
There are the cycles of functional obsolescence compounded
by the dynamic of exposure by the seen as well as the unseen
from which repair or restoration inevitably fall upon or within the
scope of motivations to do or not to do.

Then there is 'pondering'...as some matters require assessment from
the which and out come of a plan may develop. $$$$$$  + TIME = a done matter; and
as things be: often times any one of the elements most likely can be missing or unavailable
or as human nature so often takes charge 'undesirable'. So the flow chart inadvertently
has a loop added ( oh those loops) which in turn then reopens the door to ponder another matter
like 'what's going on with Sitar_Ned?' and the gang at Chinatown'r?

A quick review allows me to reflect briefly now that within the last earth rotations or two
I was able to determine some forking dimensional attributes; and
comment a caution ref. gel coat cracks may not be just cosmetic but likely more so
initial signals of a reaction to imputed stresses of a repeated nature within a specific
detail of the conglomeration AKA know as 'the frame'; and
further expressed the need for a safety check of sorts to determine structural integrity
of the carbon fiber material. Ironically just came across the specification of cautions for
high end autos sporting carbon rotors and the susceptibility of fluids/grease of the very rotor itself?
This being the case has anyone considered how that within the orifice of the tube internals making up the
head tube or where the crank ass'y passes through if this carbon surface is not sealed can the lubricant
in use for bearings begin a process of 'affect' from the inside out on the carbon cloth? In the head tube area
when the various frame details come together are there cavity's shared from the tube area? That would allow even a smigeon
of lube ( if the lube exposure is even a negative: this must first be established) to begin the breakdown of material. In the latest
road and track issue (aug. 2014 p.86 a story ref a whole carbon car rebuild is covered) Glickenhaus or something has possibly the
notions of the details of such an issue and may be approachable.

The frame builders like so very many others may be expert producers of the concept but have very little
exposure to functions after the fact: herein is the beauty of this forum. you collectively are a practical laboratory
from which a newer and higher level of safety and product development will-can and has already come?

Can an ultra sound give unseen data as to frame/wheel critical structural exposures that can have huge personal safety
outcomes? Anyhow this rabbit has run and I smell the coconut  oil meaning my eggs is done
gotta go gotta go!

This is a portion of the pondering within; and in conjunction too the dynamics of calculating
time: as based on Hebrew custom vs the failure of the current calender to establish the approximation
of prophetic realities where upon we all are when the next transitional spiritual dynamic occurs.
Also know as heaven event or if one hasn't yet decided on the 32 AD Jerusalem event at the place of the skull:
that His blood was the substitute sacrifice for you too. Bigger much bigger than planet X...even though this may be in the context
of the current cosmos of things be it seen or unseen

pondering...non the less:
what in the world is the twinkling of an eye?
or how fast is fast?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »

quick review allows me to reflect briefly now that within the last earth rotations or two
I was able to determine some forking dimensional attributes; and
A comment a caution ref. gel coat cracks may not be just cosmetic but likely more so
initial signals of a reaction to imputed stresses of a repeated nature within a specific
detail of the conglomeration AKA know as 'the frame'; and
further expressed the need for a safety check of sorts to determine structural integrity
of the carbon fiber material. Ironically just came across the specification of cautions for
high end autos sporting carbon rotors and the susceptibility of fluids/grease of the very rotor itself?
This being the case has anyone considered how that within the orifice of the tube internals making up the
head tube or where the crank ass'y passes through if this carbon surface is not sealed can the lubricant
in use for bearings begin a process of 'affect' from the inside out on the carbon cloth? In the head tube area
when the various frame details come together are there cavity's shared from the tube area? That would allow even a smigeon
of lube ( if the lube exposure is even a negative: this must first be established) to begin the breakdown of material. In the latest
road and track issue (aug. 2014 p.86 a story ref a whole carbon car rebuild is covered) Glickenhaus or something has possibly the
notions of the details of such an issue and may be approachable.

The frame builders like so very many others may be expert producers of the concept but have very little
exposure to functions after the fact: herein is the beauty of this forum. you collectively are a practical laboratory
from which a newer and higher level of safety and product development will-can and has already come?

Can an ultra sound give unseen data as to frame/wheel critical structural exposures that can have huge personal safety
outcomes? Anyhow this rabbit has run and I smell the coconut  oil meaning my eggs is done
gotta go gotta go!

Hahaha.. There you are.

So, I've read about oil and carbon rotors not mixing well, but keep in mind that any material rotor and oil/grease don't mix well. So, I don't think that greases necessarily erodes carbon, but I could be wrong. And really, once you assemble one of these bikes, you'll see that very little of the oil grease actually stays in contact with exposed carbon anyways, so I think it's a non issue.

As for being able to monitor the structural integrity of any carbon component with safety in mind.. Well, I think the main point is that carbon is very strong and there really isn't much to worry about. People seem to have this fear that carbon fiber is going to disintegrate right beneath them (understandably so as it feels like plastic, and is just as light) we are accustomed to trusting alloys for such things) but in reality failure rates are extremely low. Carbon fiber truly is an incredible, modern material.

Here's a vid that I found that really made me start trusting carbon fiber.. Many here have most likely seen this video already but here it is again:

Patrick C.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
Nice!!!  no safety glasses anywhere in that video :) 

Inertia

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:15:26 AM »
 8)
Buzzing in for a brief (haha) comment ref. 'frame-test' via video:
1. the video is good to see... for the simple reason to show someone is thinking.

2. the question to consider is the method as a crash scenario rarely involves
a slow build up of combined forces BUT rather the 'crash'. I believe that in this nano moment
 that outcomes could differ as evidenced by the pics from this site:
http://www.carbonframerepair.com/
and since I haven't found a 'this happened because' clause: it can only leave one too imagine?
What is a good revelation pointedly are the name brand frames that display the carnage capable
upon the carbon material.

I hope to Jesus that non of ya succumb to injury! On the flip side one of the great things about Chinertown
has been my ability to see your mind at work while live the dream within the passion of 'the build and riding'
combined with the safety factor.

Closing thought must include in review of the pics from the repair site: was there a deficiency moment in the 'layup/construction'
scenario? Simply because it can happen! FYI in aerospace environments wherein fibercloth-or-paint-or spaceage mastics were used
there was a huge paper trail of environmental monitoring documentation to cover the temp/humidity requirements while simply in storage as well
as shelf life. Going so far to spec. that within a humidity spec being exceeded no assembly or application was allowed.

All that said to ask knowing that all these materials have optimum use environment factors: do you know if the shops are indeed quality minded
to the 'nth' degree? If not...that could be why intermittent unusual and seemingly unexplainable failures are and will be.

Inertia

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
 8)
Flying in this AM not knowing if post protocols have been compromised:
but here goes (well I started out w/brakes which has moved into broken;and
the attempts to establish not breakable???) again if I've violated forum protocol
please advise.

Maybe you already have seen this one:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/10/factory-tour-guru-cycles-part-1-office-visit-carbon-bike-design-stress-testing/

In closing...the affect upon tubes making up a frame parts is huge: especially
when certain tubes are asked to do or react to compression forces as well as a joint
being subjected to linear tare'ng forces too then all in concert. Yes the collective make up
of a Carbon lay up is lighter and stronger but certain blunt force inducements have certainly been cataloged.
In the thinness of the cross section, which is thus to save weight is the grey area of how thin; and
it is very likely that when handle bar ends strike the cross tube where all the force from the very small cross section
on the end of the bar is concentrated and impact the cross tube (where initial design parameters left out the possibility for such)
result is as one can see at various sites. Then and finally is what I call the 'crow-bar affect' (i have a collection of such from the basic cat claw
at 6'' in length to a specialized 8 footer that was used to break loose the axle nut on American motors eagle rear ends)
so wordy a fellow is this fly-guy anyhow the front fork will indeed do its job to act like a crow bar...
then adding to it's affect is the position of the entire bike collectively if ya have an event. Are the forces introduced at
(if we call the neutral both tires on the ground zero degrees) every other position conceivable: the front fork 'crow-bar like
force inducement to the head tube and adjoining structural tubes is again bigger than we realize. All said to
consider just a slight cross-sectional increase would up the safety factor a bunch. See the 'unknown frame' configurations
and note the wheel design as well.

So since I've over verb-a lated I'll let this rest for now...other than: I've always first sought 'weight reduction'
as a cheap means of going faster.
 enjoy the wind
ovr-n-out

Inertia

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
 ;D
Just found this...quality test parameters: