Author Topic: Adding a "Chinese Carbon Road Bike" Section to the Forum?  (Read 5781 times)

Sitar_Ned

Adding a "Chinese Carbon Road Bike" Section to the Forum?
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
So, I've received a couple of messages from guys asking for there to be a Chinese carbon road bike section on the forum - I'm all for it, unfortunately, I have very little road bike knowledge. Was hoping someone could fill me in on a few things:

1. Is the Chinese carbon option becoming just as popular in the road bike world as it in the MTB world? If so, is there a forum/thread that is the equivalent to the chiner mtbr threads?

2. Any suggestions on how to arrange the boards in the road bike section? I mean, mtb is separated into "29er", 27.5", "Fat Bike", and "Components".. How would that work for road bikes? They all have the same sized wheels (I think) so it wouldn't be separated using that difference. All ears if anyone is willing to offer suggestions.

3. Anybody have any builds/bikes/frames to post? No sense in creating it if it won't be used.

That's about it, I guess, just wanted to open the topic for suggestions and to see if I could get filled in a bit.

Thanks, guys.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:50:54 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

Re: Adding a Road Bike Section to the Forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:26:17 AM »
IMO, if it has two wheels and is on the street, it better have at least a 100 hp :).

However, if there are people wanting a road bike section, we should have one.  Maybe start with a "Carbon Road Bikes" forum and go from there.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

flanglian

Re: Adding a "Chinese Carbon Road Bike" Section to the Forum?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
One (two?) words - velobuild.com

I can't speak in general about how popular Chiner road frames are but RBR are on their sixth thread:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/chinese-carbon-thread-ebay-direct-version-6-0-a-272806.html

I built my FM015 ISP up about 2 1/2 years ago. It's a light, stiff frame with a couple of minor engineering issues that were fixable. The long and the short of it though is that I'm a MAMIL ex BMXer and MTBer who wanted to catch the carbon gravy train. My conclusion was that although the responsiveness was nice, I'm not a racer and my custom steel frame was just soooo much more comfy on any ride over 2 hours (which is most of my rides). So the Chiner has sat in the garage on the turbo for 18 months as a trainer.

IMHO, adding a road section will only dilute the content. There's enough sites dealing with this stuff already. It depends on what your hopes are for this site, I guess.       

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
IMHO, adding a road section will only dilute the content. There's enough sites dealing with this stuff already. It depends on what your hopes are for this site, I guess.       

For the most part, I tend to agree with not diluting the content. 

For now - Think things will just stay MTB focused and I'll leave this thread here if anybody wants to request otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback, flanglian.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:50:44 AM by Sitar_Ned »

manmythlegend

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »
As said depends on goal of site.
IMO if you did one , dont make subsections unless traffic and thread amounts dictate it.

Vipassana

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
I will be building a Chinese carbon road bike in the spring.  Whether or not we have a section here, I'll make a thread and share.  I personally think that a road section would be nice.  It doesn't have to be huge.

I vote yes.  But I'll have nothing to contribute for another 6 months or so.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
Thanks for chiming in Vipassana.. I definitely think I'll add one board for road bikes.. It won't be separated out like the MTB boards, but will be just like this "After the Ride" board.

I figure why not.. it's just one board. Will certainly appreciate and need your contributions with a build thread.