Author Topic: Going 1 x 10  (Read 4832 times)

brmeyer135

Going 1 x 10
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
I found this interesting when reading around about going 1x10
So, OneUp offers a 42t or 40t big ring....along with that they offer a 16t(not hearing good things about it) to put in place of removing the 15t and 17t
Now they also are offering their RAD cage....which replaces the outside arm of Shimano GS shifters...supposedly provides better shifting and such with their modfiication
http://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/r-a-d-cage
The cool part...if you have a Shimano SGS derailleur because you are 2x or 3x currently

I have a Shimano Shadow+ long cage (SGS) is the OneUp RAD cage compatible.
Yes - but you will need to buy a Shimano GS inner cage as well.  The Shimano part number is Y5XC09100 - Inner Plate (GS-Type).  It is available at several online retailers.

Link to FAQ about the RAD:  note:  doesn't work with SRAM derailleurs
http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/faq-rad

Rigid_Bloke

Re: Going 1 x 10
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:47 PM »
Interesting. Hmmm.. so I clicked the link and read the page but I still don't really understand what the RAD cage actually does? It just makes a standard derailleur work better if you choose to go up to a 40 or 42T cog? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here.

Ine thing's for sure, OneUp is going after the 1X10 market hard, and rightfully so. Still can't believe Shimano is nowhere in sight. Guess it's like Apple with smart watches lol. They think they set the trends. Will be interesting to see how much they actually do set it.

brmeyer135

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:24:51 AM »
Shimano is moving into the 1x11 or 2x11 with their M9000 XTR series coming this fall?
They will be using a regular hub and going to a 40t.
One problem some had with XT derailleurs is that it was touching the cassette and the fix was to dremel.
OneUP and others, are doing their darndest to capture some of the 1x market.
I like it in that the Shimano cassette is going to be 250 + since it is the XTR line...going to take a few years to 'trickle' down.
Even SRAM's trickle down is somewhat meaningless...x01 not much cheaper than xx1
Actually, looking at Ebay - have prices of xx1 and x01 gone up?

brmeyer135

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
About the OneUp RAD(Shimano rear derailleur arm replacement):  found this about it.
This SHOULD improve things drastically. By moving the upper pulley rearward (when the cage is in the vertical position) the geometry changes will be positive. In the higher gears the pulley will be closer to the cogs while being pushed out a little farther in the lower (42t) sprocket. I'm sure it will still not shift like stock XT but having the pulley closer to the cogs in the higher gears will help the chain track better and provide cleaner shifting

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »
Ahh, ok, thanks for that explanation, br. Makes loads more sense now.

I was actually thinking the same thing about the SRAM stuff, seems like the price climbed a lil on ebay? Perhaps simple supply and demand. And yeah I guess the whole 1x thing is going to take quite a bit longer to trickle down than I expected, but as long as we have companies like One up that are trying to innovate, it will be interesting. I think the first company to come out with an affordable cassette will win big. All this piecing together a cassette only to find out it doesn't work as expected is for the birds. Hopefully RAD can change that.

Good stuff, thanks for posting it up. Have a chiner build coming up that I will seriously consider adding these components to.

brmeyer135

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
Part of the RAD that excited myself is that you can take a Shimano SGS(long cage) and turn it into an SG(med cage)
I built mine up 2x with 11-36 so I need a long cage - I plan on going/trying 1x at some time and now I don't need to buy a new derailleur(med cage) for better performance.
I haven't priced the pieces yet so buying another derailleur may have been cheaper.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
now I don't need to buy a new derailleur(med cage) for better performance.

I have a med cage SLX but from my research, I didn't think there was any performance difference to be had from going with a shorter cage? Other than less potential for snagging your derailleur on trail debris, of course.. but as far as crisper shifting.. didn't think there was a difference.

If there is, I should have went with the Zee I guess.

brmeyer135

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:10:41 AM »
shorter cage provides crisper shifts
but, depending on your drivetrain, 2x10 40/28 and 11-36 I needed a long cage....big chainring - sm chainring + big cog - sm cog = total teeth....then look up manufacturers ranges for their rear derailleur