Inertia:
 8)
Just in from sewer-mania!
Re-fueld and clean; and
as I was enjoying the wind this thought came to me:
ref. that ...as the tube wall is so very thin; and
certain places can become mounting points for
clamp like devices thus are we sure that as you
torque together something like this that the tube can be deforming?
Which in turn (if it is) never really allows for an actual solid feel.
So lets say (and again the specific name of the part escapes me)
but if you have a multi-speed selection capability as you ask
the device to move away from the down tube below the seat
tro move the chain? Can y=this be trouble and then should this spot have a longer surface shim?

cmh:
Before a ride:

* Get bottles or camelbak together (chose based on distance)
* Pack any nutrition that'll be necessary, usually at least Clif shots
* Make sure we have helmet, gloves, and shoes
(I keep flat pedals in the car just in case I forget bike shoes - it's happened.)
* Make sure we've got a change of clothes for afterwards
(We always get changed immediately after the ride, never wanna be standing/sitting around in sweaty bike clothes
* Load the bikes up in the car (no trails rideable distance from home)  :(
* Get to the trail, park, unload the bikes. Put my front wheel on, since my bike won't fit in the Element fully assembled.
* Check tire pressures.
* Lock up the car, and RIDE!  :D
One thing I never, never do is lube the chain before a ride. Most chain lubes, especially the "dry" type, have carriers which help in application but will evaporate. Usually when you apply, then ride immediately, the carriers will keep things wetter and attract more dirt.

Instead, I always apply chain lube after the ride, giving it at least overnight to dry. Unless the chain was too dry to start with, I'll usually run it over the gears, make sure the shifting is good, then wipe the chain clean with a rag. Subsequently, our drivetrains are _clean_ and look nice, plus don't pick up too much goop. I've also found that taking this approach, I very rarely need to take the chain off for a complete degreasing.

tripleDot:
Just got around to read this post again and thought of the bikes I had and have (see my signature lines... which is in a format I shamelessly copied from Carbon_Dude  ;) )

Used to be only two things I do before I ride, that's excluding the 10 minutes of deciding what clothes to wear...

First, check tire pressure.
Second, check brakes.

Any other maintenance (major or minor) is done a few days before or after the rides.

Now, things got complicated, except for the what to wear part, l've sorted that out by retiring 3/4 of my cycling wear. Unless there was a previous plan, I have employed a simple technique to help me decide. It's flipping a coin.

Heads for mtb XC, then I flip coin again, heads for cycling shoes, tails for any shoes. I have a Crank Brothers Double Shot pedals.

Tails for road bike, then I flip coin again, heads for geared, tails for single speed.

Get dressed... according to which bike I'm gonna ride.
Move the right spare tube/s to my belt bag (gear bag).
Prepare my water bottle/s.
Then I check tire pressure and brakes.

While I'm happy I got more bikes today, partly because I used to live in a condo and don't have space for more than 1 bike. I admit that I do missed the simplicity of having a single bike.

Carbon_Dude:
LOL, it's nice to have choices, but it's also nice to have simplicity in your life.

Calvino:
Before the ride(which means the day before the ride) i lube the stanchions, check brakepads for wear and alignment, check how much wax is left on the chain(yes i wax all my chains). 30 mins before the ride, i decide on  the gear i wear depending on conditions, season and temperature. Either only go with a hydration pack with smaller bits and bops or a small backpack for things like food, 2 inner tubes, additional layers of clothing and such with a bigger 750ml or 1000ml water bottle on the frame. Check the tire pressure(23fr and 26re i still run tubes but plan on converting to tubeless soon), quick look at cassette wear, chainring wear, rear mech(clutch off for climbing), tire wear.

After the ride(if it was particularly muddy)i clean the whole frame and bits and bops that got the most grit with some hot soapy water and a sponge(also in the winter) since i got a flat without access to a gardenhose. im a bit carefull when cleaning around the brake calipers, since i once got quite some soap onto my pads which led to significant power loss, squeaking and a really strange smell whenever they got hot. I check whether the chain, cassette or chainring got particularly dirty. if so, i clean everything with my ultra-sonic cleaner(worth every cent to me) and get the next chain onto my drivetrain. Rewaxing only one chain is too time consuming, so i got 3 chains for each bike. Makes re-waxing a lot more efficient

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version