Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 210630 times)

multispoke

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2016, 10:47:26 AM »
If carbon rims are not a must then beside Crest (being obvious option) there are more nice and light rims like Ryda Trace XC, BOR XMD 333/366 or DT Swiss offerings.

Those other ones are nice, and a little exotic here in US. But they also appear to be narrower (19mm) in internal width. If you believe the wider = faster claims, the same tires mounted on a Crest Mk3 should be quicker.

multispoke

« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2016, 11:13:29 AM »
My -057 build was 19.5 lbs with a RS Reba fork, full XX1 drivetrain, carbon wheels, carbon bars & seat post, XT brakes.  If you go 1x then you should be able build an XL at around 20 lbs.

That's a good data point, especially since 057 is the heaviest frame out of the 3 I'm considering.
As far as 1x - that's my preference and is versatile enough for riding around where I live. However, this bike will be raced in Leadville 100 next year, and most of the folks who've done it say that 2x10 is the way to go due to the broad range of speeds. But even if a FD setup adds another 1lb, I'll be OK with that, so long as I don't go much over the 21lbs mark.

Sooner10

« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
Hi,
My name is Joel, I live in the SanFrancisco east Bay Area. I'm 6'2" and weigh 235 pounds. I'm a completel newbie when it comes to building a bike. I'm looking to build a carbon mtb, and have been looking at the 057 frame, as a good place to start.
But then I've just learned about the 29plus option. That sounds very interesting as well. My budget is around 2k.

I think I may also be interested in purchasing a used bike from someone ready to upgrade, or who just wants to build something different.

All suggestions and opinions on what my reasonable next steps should be are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Welcome Sooner.. I have an 057 and if I were to buy another bike it would be a 29+, and I've seen guys post up some killer deals on their "old" frames when they were ready to upgrade so imo your plan is pretty solid. Only thing is you never know when those deals will pop up. It all boils down to your budget of course but pretty sure there are some frames you can get for right at $400 or a bit less depending on your area's taxes/vat/shipping and whatever other bs fees that are tacked on.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »
Hi,
My name is Joel, I live in the SanFrancisco east Bay Area. I'm 6'2" and weigh 235 pounds. I'm a completel newbie when it comes to building a bike. I'm looking to build a carbon mtb, and have been looking at the 057 frame, as a good place to start.
But then I've just learned about the 29plus option. That sounds very interesting as well. My budget is around 2k.

I think I may also be interested in purchasing a used bike from someone ready to upgrade, or who just wants to build something different.

All suggestions and opinions on what my reasonable next steps should be are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

You could build a 29+ Chiner, several Stache frame copies available in carbon from the Chinese sellers like Workswell and Xmcarbonspeed.  However, another option is to buy an off the shelf 2017 Aluminum Stache 7 for $1,999 or Carbon 9.6 for $2,999 (maybe 10% less if you are willing to negotiate).  Both options are good, just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.  I couldn't build a 29+ for that price, even though my Stache doesn't have a Chinese Carbon frame these guys let me remain a member of this forum :).  I enjoy riding my 29+ bike more than any other bike I've owned so if you are considering a 29+, I say go for it!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

boneshaker

« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2016, 06:08:10 AM »
anyone have any idea it usually takes for Carbonspeed to reply to emails? i emailed on monday just for prices and a little info etc but no reply?

JohnnyNT

« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »
Chinese holidays right now, should be over in few days.

boneshaker

« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
I got a reply- there had been a rather large typhoon and knocked out power for a while. He's off to the bike show in vegas too so its good. it gives me time to get a plan together - Also car has just blown a tyre.. £200 down drain that could have been my frame :(

Alex

« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »
hi everyone, I´m Alex, just as Sitar_Ned, I`m also trying to build my dream hard tail MTB, and very interested in what all of you post, it really helps a lot to my learning, this forum is great
thank you all

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2016, 04:50:41 PM »
Welcome Alex.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

busted frame

« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm Mike and I'm new here.  I've been riding a 2010 Giant XTC 29er1 Aluminum frame for about 4 years now.  This year the frame decided to crack at the weld where the top tube attaches to the seat tube.  Some repairs have held up short term (don't ask), but they won't last much longer, so this winter I plan to take the components from the current bike and put them on a new chinese carbon 29er hardtail frame. 

I have gotten used to the geometry of the Giant and I am concerned that so far all the chinese carbon frames that I look at seem to vary quite a bit from the Giant. 

The Giant is a 20" frame.

I am 6'1" tall and weigh around 220 lbs. 

So my question - does anyone know of a chinese carbon frame that would compare to the 2010 Giant XTC 29er 1 in geometry, but also be reliable?  I value reliability way more than weight savings.   I know this might be obscure, but I figured I would try. 

Thanks

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2016, 10:08:54 PM »
Welcome busted frame!

So it isn't the same geo as your Giant but the 057 is the kinda go to frame for reliability around here.. not that the others aren't reliable, it's just the the 057 has been around the longest and has been tested long-term by a lot of members here. I'm like you and want a light bike but not at the expense of a reliable frame... I've been riding the 057 for a few years now with absolutely no problems at all and I'm pretty much precisely your build at just a bit under 6'1" and fluctuate between 215lbs and 225 lbs depending on if I'm more into lifting or riding at the time. I'm on a 19" frame and it fits well the only thing I would say is if you're going to have a shorter stem you may want a set back seat post. I have a 75mm stem and no set back post and have my seat as far back on the rails as possible and it fits perfect. I have longer arms than normal for my height so that may factor into but since your a bit taller than me I'm betting that is safe advice to give you.

I think that would a good place for you to start your search but don't just take my word for it.. lots of info and frames to look over. Sorry I couldn't help you find a Giant like geo frame.. Good luck!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
Like SN, I also recommend the -057.  You can also get the frame custom painted to your taste for a little extra.  Here is the one Peter at XMcarbonspeed did for me about 3 years ago.  I've since sold the bike but it was a solid and reliable frame with not creaks or rattles, no problems assembling.  Go with a BSA bottom bracket if you can.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

PremiumMTB

« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2016, 03:43:12 AM »
 ;D ;D  Hi everyone.... Been following this forum for a while now as a guest.... Bout time I register and jump in on discussions instead of looking in from outside the window  :o :o :o

My name is Gary... I owned PremiumMTB,  I'm the Australian / New Zealand distributor for Nextie.  I also sell other China based carbon products. 
If your chasing Nextie rims or just would like some advice or quick communication regarding anything Nextie hit me up  :D

Trek Stache 9.6
2017 Enduro 29er / 6Fattie
2016 Stumpjumper 6Fattie
Aus / NZ Nextie Carbon Rim Distributor
YumCha King
www.premiumMTB.com.au

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2016, 07:19:16 AM »
Welcome Gary! 

I see you also have a SJ 6Fattie, do you have Nextie wheels on your bike?  If so, what width did you choose?
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA