Author Topic: Tell 'em what you want!  (Read 9760 times)

Sitar_Ned

Tell 'em what you want!
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
After finding out that there's already been at least one instance of a Chinese carbon manufacturer working directly with a customer to build custom components.. I thought it might be useful to make a thread specifically for the purpose of letting these Chinese providers know exactly what we'd like to see them offer.

So, here's your chance to tell them what you want. Whether it's a type of frame you want them to produce, an unorthodox handlebar, or maybe you want to inquire as to whether they could design and produce something new entirely. Carbon really is an amazing material and lends significant freedom to manufacturers when designing products.. If something shows enough market demand, there's no reason for the Chinese suppliers not to oblige.

Perhaps we can collectively help them to innovate rather than strictly replicate. Maybe, i'm thinking a bit too grandiose here, but hey.. I've got a request of my own so I though it was worth a shot  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:18:30 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Sitar_Ned

Re: Tell 'em what you want!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »
One of the many reasons I decided to stick with a hardtail 29er is I expect to see some very well designed, effective, and light weight suspension seatposts coming out over the next year or two. What i'm waiting on is an mtb version of Ergon CF3 carbon pro seatpost:

Would love to see one of these Chinese carbon manufacturers bring an mtb version of this thing out. Doesn't seem as if it would be all too hard to engineer.. Could basically use the Ergon as a template but beef the carbon rods and bearings up a bit..

Just an idea.. Seems like a price point of $75-$100 would work for both parties. I'd be the first paying customer.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:50:43 AM »
Nice seat post, however, doesn't do anything for me when I'm standing up and flying down a rough section of trail :).
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Good point CD however I would love to see one of these built for mtb.  Great idea SN!  All I really need is a little bit of suspension out back and on my trails I mostly stay seated. 

This answer would be an inexpensiv, simple and very light alternative to full suspension.  I've ridden my buddies Bike with a thud buster and really liked it.  This could be just a very lightweight version of that. 

Now how do we get them to build us some?
Andy

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
Nice seat post, however, doesn't do anything for me when I'm standing up and flying down a rough section of trail :).

That's what the legs are for, man! I do see your point though.. Me thinks you're becoming spoiled by your 036  ;D  Interested to see how often you throw a leg over your 056 now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:12:15 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
Good point CD however I would love to see one of these built for mtb.  Great idea SN!  All I really need is a little bit of suspension out back and on my trails I mostly stay seated. 

This answer would be an inexpensiv, simple and very light alternative to full suspension.  I've ridden my buddies Bike with a thud buster and really liked it.  This could be just a very lightweight version of that. 

Now how do we get them to build us some?
Andy

Yup.. the short travel thudbuster was almost included in my current build. And I may still get one if no other options become available soon enough.. but it's just too ugly and heavy to put on my full carbon chiner at this point. The above would work better, look better, and probably be lighter than a conventional carbon post. 1-1.5 inch of travel would be all I need with my 2.35 tires and carbon bike and components, for my mostly smooth local trails.

As far as getting them to actually build it.. I dunno.. I guess I could simply ask lol. But I don't want some one-off version that hasn't been thoroughly tested by the community, so I assumed that getting public demand going would really be the only way. Hopefully, in time, this thread/site can help bring about some of those kind of things.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:14:17 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Izzy

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »
Cool thread.

I'd be all over that seatpost if they made one. Wonder how many potential customers it'd take to get a Chindor (tired of typing out Chinese carbon vendor, and since this place seems all about innovating, thought I'd try to make my small contribution ;D) to actually manufacturer one of these posts? 100? 1000?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:30:13 AM by Izzy »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
Cool thread.

I'd be all over that seatpost if they made one. Wonder how many potential customers it'd take to get a Chindor (tired of typing out Chinese carbon vendor, and since this place seems all about innovating, thought I'd try to make my small contribution ;D) to actually manufacturer one of these posts? 100? 1000?

Hahaha... Chinese carbon vendor is now officially dubbed "chindor"

Thanks for your contribution, Izzy.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:37:43 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Izzy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
Cool thread.

Hahaha... Chinese carbon vendor is now officially dubbed "chindor"

Thanks for your contribution, Izzy.

Sweet! So official, lol.. Finally some accomplishment in life! ;D

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
Buy a chiner from a chindor at Chinertown!

Also.. I'd totally be in for that post in that price range.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:22:49 AM »
Also, I think the integrated stem and handlebars are pretty sweet looking:

Seems the widest they come is 620mm though. Pretty short by today's standards. Also the shortest stem is 90mm...

I think they should offer a slightly beefier 70mm stem with 710mm width bars and a 50mm stem with 730mm..or something along those lines. They also need to get some vids up on their site showing hoe they tried to destroy these but couldn't.. It's a sweet design, but I just don't trust it til it's been proven.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »
This is actually a really cool idea for a thread and both of those products you suggest would sell, no doubt about it. I'd buy.

I got my own suggestion.. it's not all that original and may even pi$$ a few people off but I figure this forum, if anywhere, would be the place to try to get support for it... I'd REALLY love it of one of these Chinese carbon guys would make an EXACT replica of a RIP9 frame.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I'd really like to get this some visibility so I'd like to put it in it's own thread in the 29er section if that's okay?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:09:31 PM by Chinertown Idiot »

SamSkjord

• Professional skjord racer. Powered by carrots.
    • View Profile
    • Cash4bones.com
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »
While we're asking for exact replicas, can I have a S-Works Venge but with discs please

MTNRCKT

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
Hmmm.. Perhaps it's time I move to China and open my own carbon prodcution plant  ;D

Maybe I just don't really understand how the process works, but  why don't the chiner manufacturers just ask people what they want , and then produce it? Rather than coming up with these frames and then hoping people like it afterwards? A little market research would allow the right company to crush it. This thread/forum is a great start, maybe it just takes time, I dunno. Like I said, I don't know how it actually works so it may not be that simple.