Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build  (Read 78120 times)

flimay2k9

Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »
Just received My frame and a wheelset from Lightcarbon, will unpack and take pics later tonight.

I have almost all the parts to start the build and have a few questions as well.

I'll share the progress here as well.

For some strange reason I registered yesterday night and got banned without even posting anything, so I hope that does not happen again.

Sitar_Ned

Re: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
Hey flimkay2k9.. that was me that banned you by mistake. I apologize. I've been trying to be proactive with spam prevention on the boards by watching the newly registered accounts and banning them before they get a chance to spam... accidentally banned you. Sorry.

Welcome to the forums and looking forward to following along with your build thread!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:30:08 PM by Sitar_Ned »

flimay2k9

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
Ok, here's some pictures I took of the frame and wheelset. The frame weight is 2.280g so not too bad.

I do have a few questions on the frame though, should I clear coat or paint for protection?

The other question is, should I disassemble the linkage and check bearings add grease and check for torque? The hardware on the linkage looks pretty cheap, I'd love to get it replaced for better quality parts, but do not know the sizes or where to buy it.

The last time I worked on a bike was over 10 years ago so I'll have a few questions along the way, I just checked my bottom bracket and crank and they fit, I also checked my headset bearing and they fit as well, so I'm happy with that.

The rear shock mount is quite unusual, not sure I like it.

The surface of the carbon has a lot of marks from the form, but I think this is normal, right?

And the wheelset

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:08:43 PM by flimay2k9 »

sclyde2

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
I wouldn't bother with painting the frame for protection.  But I often put helicopter tape on my frames, in spots where I think it'll get cable rub or damage from rocks flicking off the front tyre, or from crashes.

Yeah, definitely check the torque on the pivot bolt.  I didn't on my Chiner frame and had them come loose.  Dunno about greasing the pivot bearings, but definitely put thread locker on the bolts not grease.

What size frame did you get?

Have you bought the rear shock and hardware (shock bushes) yet?  If so, what did you get?

flimay2k9

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
I disassembled the linkage to check the hardware and found out the hardware is not bad. But the bearing are not very good, one of the bearings is binding a little bit and clicking, I removed one of the seals and there's no grease on the bearings, so I'll add some. I actually tried to pull one of the bearings out and I wasn't able to. No sure what kind of tool I'd need to do that.

Frame is 19" (Large) it does seam small for now, so let's see how this works out.

My next step will be to add some grease to the bearings and bushings and put it all together with the correct torque.

Rear triangle seems to be carbon as well.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:37:48 PM by flimay2k9 »

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
It is normal to have some irregularities in the finish.
These are just carbon sheets glued together with epoxy.
With a just a clear coat over them.

To remove bearings you can buy a bearings extractor.

I use a bolt + some custom elements:

The bolt diameter vary on the bearings to extract.

The washer is cut from a normal circular one.
Long enough to press against the outer cage.
Cut narrow enough, to enter the inner cage.
And is inside.

The black part is a kind of bell(hardest part to find), and is outside.

When tightening the bolt, the washer presses the bearing from the inside, toward the bell.

If no other option is available, you can use a hammer and a flat screw driver or similar.
As long as you hit the bearing gently all around its outer cage, it is generally fine.
But still more dangerous for the carbon around.

flimay2k9

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »
Added grease to the bearings and thread lock to the bolts, it's pretty smooth now, tight fit on everything.

I removed the bearing that was not good by gently tapping with a flat screw driver and a small hammer and the bearing turned out to be fine, I think it was just not sitting right.

Next step is to figure out what size of hardware I need for the rear shock mount.

Installed the BSA bottom bracket, the chain guide and the crank set. All went in pretty well. I like the chain guide and crank protection as well.

I'm not really very happy with how close the chain ring is to the chain stay, looks like a bad design.

Got the tubeless tires mounted, just need to add the sealant. I'll be running 2.4 Maxxis Andent in the front wheel and 2.2 Ikon on the back, I might change that later, I wanted some better cushion and grip in the front. Let's see.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:46:41 PM by flimay2k9 »

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
nice build! good idea greasing the bearings, mine were making alot of noise as they were dry. Use clear 3m for frame protection, they do a good job for the price.

sissypants

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:08 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your finished build!

I have a 20.5" on the way, it shipped today :)

The space between your chainring and the chainstay looks just fine, it looks like you could even go with a bigger chainring if you wanted. You wouldn't want them to make the chainstay any thinner otherwise the tube either gets so thin that routing the derailleur cable gets tricky or you compromise tire clearance.

I've pulled the trigger on this Fox Float Factory DPS 165x40mm trunnion shock:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2018-FOX-Factory-Float-DPS-Shock-Trunnion-165-x-40-Evol-SV-449-Retail/142976801072

The 40mm shock stroke will give me ~115mm of rear travel, which will play nicely with the Fox Float 34 Factory SC fork I'm running up front with 120mm of travel, perfect for technical XC.

I don't believe you need any hardware for mounting the trunnion side of the shock (54*φ10mm) because the trunnion mount is 54mm wide, but you will need hardware for the other shock end (22.2*φ8mm). For a Fox Shock, I got this 22.19*φ8mm kit: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/fox-rear-shock-mounting-hardware-8mm-x-22-19mm-0-874-5-piece-aluminum-1.

I'm also relieved to see rock-solid shock mounting hardware included with your frame. I have been in touch with a previous LCFS937 owner who had his trunnion shock mounting bolt break, allowing the shock to get wedged at an angle which caused an asymmetrical cracking of the linkage and propagated sideways force to the front triangle, cracking it as well on one of the seat tubes. Light Carbon sent him a new frame, and it looks like they have fully addressed this issue with stronger shock mounting hardware.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:45:04 AM by sissypants »

flimay2k9

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
Your painted frame looks pretty good. I'm regretting not having it painted, but it's too late for me now, maybe the next one.

My rear sock is a Deluxe RT3 165x42.5mm I got it used for $100 on ebay, I think that will work well. I might upgrade in the future. Got my 3 piece hardware, I actually bought 22x8mm from Amazon, I measured with a caliper and I thought that was the right size, it went together perfectly. I ended up having to buy a new 1/2" bushing and had to buy an extractor/installer for the bushing, it was pretty hard to get that little thing installed, even with the correct tool, it was super tight. But everything looks good now. I hope I have enough space to fill the air on the shock without having to disassemble it from the frame.

A close up on the hardware installed, everything got torqued to specs.

I've been fighting with my tubeless tires for the last 3 days my sidewalls are still leaking some air, I just added some extra sealant and it seems to be getting better, but I can still see some seepage of sealant in a lot of places on the sidewall.

Tomorrow I'll get my headset spacers and I'll be able to cut and install my fork, looking pretty good so far, if I get the wheels to stop leaking air, I'll get them mounted as well and will start to work on the drivetrain.

sissypants

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 08:06:38 AM »
I'm starting to feel the stoke, my frame should be arriving today! 

Installing the 8mm adapter into the shock bushings is always very tight. I admittedly haven't used the proper tool in the past, but it certainly can't get done by hand.  In the past I've used a C-clamp to press the adapter into the bushings (I know better).

Everything should be ready to go on my build, it's all as assembled as it gets right now without the frame so just need to throw it all on.

sissypants

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
Got my frame this morning and built up my bike completely! Was too eager so I called the post office and told them to hold it rather than deliver it and went to pick it up :)

The frame did not disappoint. It is beautiful! I'm super stoked on the original design, split seat tube, linkage tucked in between the seat tube, and the well-thought-out shock mount cavity on the downtube.

My 20.5" frame (heavily painted) weighed 2580g, the axle weighed a respectable 50g.

I built it up completely this afternoon and it stands at 22.3lbs (10.1kg) trailside weight. I still have to bleed the rear brake and put in a longer shifter cable.  I went with Fox Float 34 SC 120mm travel and a 165*40mm shock.

Installing the shock was tricky. Light Carbon provided some additional machined steel spacers to put on either side of the shock (not the trunnion side). I bought the 8mm x 22.19mm kit for the shock, I might recommend going a tad narrower (maybe the 8mm x 21.8mm version). My spacer setup barely fit inside the linkage, as in I had to give it a few taps with the rubber mallet to get it lined up with the bolt holes. I'll post some pics of this later so it's clear.

I LOVE the threaded bottom bracket. BSA bottom brackets are the best.

While the paint quality does not disappoint, the painter was a bit rough on the lines. Rather than following the contour of the frame lines, the painter just took straight lines making it look a bit abrupt in places. Yes, my powerpoint rendition of the paint job was not 5-star, but painters at TanTan and Pro-Mance have done much better with these images. LightCarbon also made no bother to check my images, create a custom rendition in their paint program of choice, and send it back to me for approval--they just sent it straight to the painter.  But... the orange does match my Fox fork almost perfectly!

Internal routing was quite nicely done, but the ports were a bit interesting design, hard to guide the brake cable through the headtube port.

There will be pics and a first ride review next week :)  I may just post on MTBR, but I'll post the link here too.

The seatpost tube is very thick, which is reassuring in a way but also meant I couldn't get my 31.6mm carbon clamp around the tube. It also wasn't too tight, an issue I have had with other frames from other vendors, the seatpost slid comfortably right into the tube and the alloy clamp held it tightly.

By the way, this is a big bike. The long reach is immediately noticeable, I'm curious how it will work for my 6'2" self out on the trail.

mixlax

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
Looking forward to reading!

sissypants

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:20 PM »
Here's a little teaser.  Life happened this week so next week I'll have the first impressions review, hopefully.

sissypants