Author Topic: 635 mm wide handlebar not wide enough?  (Read 7454 times)

adym

Re: 635 mm wide handlebar not wide enough?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »
Buy a wide bar, before you put anything on it close your eyes and place your hands on the bar, see how far/wide they are, align your cockpit to this placement - move the grips in a bit and have bar over hanging if necessary. Try the bike out on a couple of rides, then cut the bar.

snipe

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
I bought a couple of Gravity 720 carbon bars from a friend that gets a lot of product to review for a website he runs.  He said they were good for a girls bike.  I'm okay with that.  But a lot of guys here are running Chromag 780s since thats the macho thing to do.  My ER doc friend says he has noticed an up tick in the number of broken little fingers.  That would also explain the growing number of barkless sections, about handlebar height, on the local trees.  I will stick with my 720s and keep my little fingers intact. 

I also have bought light carbon 700s off ebay along with carbon/metal stems and run them hard on my nomad...no problems.  I guess it only takes one failure.  I would assume the offerings from iplay and the like would be one step better and I wouldn't have any reservations with them.  I also bought several road bars from ebay which are obvious knockoffs but they as well have been great performance and value.

cmh

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 05:54:22 AM »
I bought a couple of Gravity 720 carbon bars from a friend that gets a lot of product to review for a website he runs.  He said they were good for a girls bike.  I'm okay with that.  But a lot of guys here are running Chromag 780s since thats the macho thing to do.  My ER doc friend says he has noticed an up tick in the number of broken little fingers.  That would also explain the growing number of barkless sections, about handlebar height, on the local trees.  I will stick with my 720s and keep my little fingers intact. 

This made me laugh, thanks. :D "that's the macho thing to do" - used to be running bars as narrow as possible was the macho thing to do.

I've got no issue with the trend towards wider bars except that it's a trend. Works for some folks, not for others. My wife is 5'3" and her latest bike came with 700mm bars, maybe wider, I forget. Swapped those to the 580s she's been running for years.

I wonder how many pinkies got hurt for this? http://instagram.com/p/tflnsIAyvx