Author Topic: Can we get the carbon rims painted like we do the frames?  (Read 2897 times)

Oolak

Can we get the carbon rims painted like we do the frames?
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:10:49 PM »
So as I was sitting here building my chiner on paper, it occurred to me that it might be cool to have the option to be able to get the wheels painted like we can get the frames.

It was this pic that gave me the idea:

Does anyone know if this is available or has already been done? Seems like there would really be no reason that say Iplay or whoever couldn't just paint the rims like they do the frames.. It simply hasn't been requested yet. I guess there may be some concern with added weight? If it was only a small weight penalty I'd still be interested in doing it.

MTNRCKT

Re: Can we get the carbon rims painted like we do the frames?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »
That's an insanely awesome idea.

I'd like to find out if it's possible to have it done direct from seller, as well. Also interested in possible weight penalty?

brmeyer135

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »
Not sure why we are worrying about weight.
Paint shouldn't be that much and would be how one 'decorates' their Chiner.
Most everybody has parts that could be replaced with something lighter....like XT brakes or seat or so on.

MTNRCKT

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »
Not sure why we are worrying about weight.
Paint shouldn't be that much and would be how one 'decorates' their Chiner.
Most everybody has parts that could be replaced with something lighter....like XT brakes or seat or so on.

I agree. I was more asking if it would be something to worry about bc I wasn't really sure. I always read about how the rim/tire combo is the most important place to save weight, so I thought I'd be worth discussing, at least.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.

Who's first?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:03:25 AM »
I believe Peter had no problem painting a set of carbon rims if that's what someone wants.  For me, I wanted to see the carbon weave so I just did a gloss clear coat.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »
When ordering the wheels at light-bicycle, they asked me if I wanted something on it.
Here is a flashy example from their site: http://www.light-bicycle.com/photowall/carbon-650B-rim-beadless-35mm-wide-tubeless-compatible-333.html#.U_UQvICSzR0
Everything looks to be possible.

Oolak

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:10 PM »
When ordering the wheels at light-bicycle, they asked me if I wanted something on it.
Here is a flashy example from their site: http://www.light-bicycle.com/photowall/carbon-650B-rim-beadless-35mm-wide-tubeless-compatible-333.html#.U_UQvICSzR0
Everything looks to be possible.

Okay thank, never seen that before. I guess that answers my initial question.