Author Topic: Dengfu FM29A  (Read 4701 times)

outriding9800

Dengfu FM29A
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
Even though i am MTB'f at heart i picked up a chiner roadbike. My old road bike (Felt F1) had a crack in the head tube. I was looking for a replacement frame and settled on a Dengfu FM29A.

http://dengfubikes.com/product/detail.php?id=125

I got the 3k gloss with a bb30 and ordered out their headset along with the frame.

The order process was easy and just took a few emails and it was on it's way. Shipping took about 2 weeks to get to Michigan.

I transferred my old components (old tri-color shimano 600). I had to get an adapter to  convert the bottom bracket over. Everything went together very well no surprises. Just a bit of a learning curve for the carbon fork but other than that it was cake.

The ride is a bit stiff but it does like to climb. Sorry i dont have a scale but it was about 2.5lbs. I am very happy with the outcome. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:17:32 PM by MTB2223 »

MTB2223

Re: Dengfu FM29A
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Hi outriding9800,

I made your pictures visible in your post.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
Hi outriding9800,

Did you mean 12.5lbs?
Could you explain more, what was that learning curve for carbon forks?
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

outriding9800

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
I really need to proof read my posts.. the total weight was 19.5lbs... the frame alone was about 2.5lbs (no fork / etc..)

Thx MTB2223 for fixing the photos..

Carbonazza.. i have been completely out of the biking scene for 15 years (still rode but did not pay attention to anything) my old road bike had a quill steam on it..

Anyways I did a lot of reading on how to set up a carbon steerer.. i read everything from you need the steer tube to be above the stem to a little below, carbon paste (both use and dont use) and blah blah blah..

So in a nutshell this is how i set it up..

heavy wheel bearing grease (belray saltwater proof) on the outside of the bearing seated by hand. cut the steer tube about 1.5mm above the stem with a 5mm spacer (the topcap "protrudes" about 1.5mm ). Cleaned the crap out of the steer tube and the stem with rubbing alcohol until everything was really clean.  torqued the carbon plug (inside one) to 50lb-in. the top cap to 25lb-in grabbed the front brake and wiggled the handlebar a bit to help seat the headset. torqued the topcap to 30lb-in and grabbed the front brake and wiggled the handlebar again. I did this a few times until I felt no looseness in the headset then gave it a slight turn on the top cap and torqued the stem clamp bolts to 50lb-in.

after 300 miles there is no play in the headset and it is not binding at all.

I was really worried about using a carbon steer tube but i am comfortable with it now.