Author Topic: novatec hubs from iplay  (Read 3848 times)

final forum

novatec hubs from iplay
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1670

So this is the wheel set I got with my ip-256 build I have roughly 1500 km of XC riding on my build. I have regressed and maintained my hubs a few times.

But last night riding with my brother on this Stan's with hope hubs we started to notice how much faster he coasted then me. So we switched bikes to see if our weight was the factor. Nope.

Is there a big difference? Should I get new bearings mine look and feel good. We have the same rubber. If new bearings which ones!!

Since I just found this site today I will try to get my build up here.

19lbs with pedals and a rock shox Reba.

Vipassana

Re: novatec hubs from iplay
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
I have a few thoughts:

1. Perhaps it's not the bearings?  I noticed on the 3 sets of wheels I purchased on Iplay, that the free coaster (I think that's what it's called?) seemed to have a fair amount of drag. I noticed that when I spun the wheel like hell and held it by the axles, when I used my thumb to stop the cassette, the wheel seemed to lose speed pretty quickly.  It seems like the mechanism is sticky or not very efficient.  This was with the 772 Novatec hub on these wheels:

http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1679

Like I said, I ordered three sets and they all did the same thing to some degree.  Thankfully my set, out of the three, seemed to have the least drag.  ;D  Perhaps the Hope hub has a more polished/revised design for the pawls mechanism.

But this shouldn't matter because WHY ARE YOU COASTING?! Keep pushing pedals and don't be lazy!  ;D

2. The Novatec hubs that I have are very well sealed compared to many I've seen.  They have double O-rings in the hub to keep water out.  These O-rings will create some amount of drag.  My squeaked a bit so I lubed them slightly.  Maybe that helps to reduce drag as well.  Perhaps the Hope hubs are not sealed as well or have a better design with less drag.

3. What is the weight of the wheels your brother has?  A heavier rim will hold speed better as it has more momentum.  Aero aside, a fat guy rolls down the hill faster than a skinny dude.  A lighter rim will slow down quicker in my experience.  But they are also easer to accelerate which helps with sprints and climbing.  Think of the wheel like a flywheel on an engine.

4. Are your brakes rubbing at all?  Sometimes they rub without really being audible.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:23:30 PM by Vipassana »

brmeyer135

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
What is the POE of each?
A higher POE will create more drag...not sure how much?

final forum

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »
Basically I was wondering about if I'm putting my self at a disadvantage using these hubs. They seem to be nice and all bit was asking other opinion's. As I haven't owned any other hubs besides the basics stock ones from bikes.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
I doubt the disadvantage is anything to be concerned with of its even quantifiable.  No feedback on my suggestions though? 

final forum

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:40:27 AM »
1. My bearings look good and feel good.
2. My brothers arches from Stans do weight more which is why we bike swapped to test rolling resistance.
3. I do think I have a small amount of rotor rub after just replacing my pads. I will have to do a truing and a adjustment.
4. Thanks for the help just making sure novatec isn't terrible and if so replace if needed. I hve read that some china prebuilt wheels novatecs come with terrible cheaper bearings then the ones they make direct.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
My DT Swiss 240 rear wheel spins much longer and smoother than any other wheel I've ever had.  Guess that's why they cost a bit more than other hubs.  I need to post a video of just how much longer the DT Swiss wheels spins compared to the Chiner Carbon wheels I have on my other bike.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

tasty.dirt74

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »

Funny i should come across this!

I have a set of 29er wheels built by them with the novatec hubs too. I have pulled them apart to put fresh grease, etc in them a few times, and this time, the hubs were 'notchy".. the bearings were worn out.

When I pulled it apart this time, it became quite apparent that the freehub had cracked under the pawls in the same spot. 3 cracks and its curtains for that freehub!

I found a replacement on eBay made of steel. Extra strong, this one! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271623664681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are a good hub for the price.. ;)