Author Topic: Carbonda Cfr 1056  (Read 88231 times)

Zrider

Re: Carbonda Cfr 1056
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
Mine arrived last week!  Continuing with assembly but the headset bearing is not sitting flush with the fork race. Carbonda says this is correct but I have my doubts. Anyone else having this issue?

vince_73

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2020, 02:19:30 PM »
I don't remember to have any problem with that. I will have a look on it in few days, because I plan to change the headset for a better look.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 06:15:59 AM »
I've been quite interested in this frame as I have been looking a more 'all-road' inspired frame instead of a adventure/gravel frame with mega-tireclearence. I feel like when the frames have clearence for 50mm tires they get too compromised for road use.

That's why I have been looking for a 35-38mm tire-clearance road geometry inspired frame - which this very much looked like - for 80/20 - 70/30 road/gravel use.

I asked Adam for bunch of question to learn some more about the frame.

He sent me more detailed drawings of the individual sizes of the frame. Very nice!

First of all we can see that this is a Flybike design like many other Carbonda frames.

From this we can learn that the maximum clearance in the frame is 44mm which means that if everything is straight and true you should be able to fit a 36mm WAM tire in there with 4mm of clearance on all sides. In my personal exprience i have been riding bikes with 2mm clearance no problem (road bike) so a 38mm tire should be possible - but it requires everything to be straight.

The fork has slightly more clearance at 47mm so it should swallow a 39mm WAM tire no problem.
http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/fork-cx/127.html

You can also see that the toptube looks different where it meets the headtube. This is because, the frame showed is meant for the completely integrated cabling (which im personally interested in, despite its obvious issues). I looks like they are trying to integrate the headset bearing cover into the frame a little better so the stack of handlebar doesn't look so big. I asked Adam for real pictures of the handlebar with the frame but he didnt have any.

EDIT: Regarding bottombracket you can see on the drawing that the frame is intended to be able to be made with BSA, however Adam told me that for 'single frame order' they would only offer BB86 pressfit... Cant wait until China catches up with T47 :)

I have also attached a drawing I got of the handlebar, CHB1036, which the frame looks to be made for. This is also availiable on thier website as a picture but PDF is much better quality. Makes it easier to figure out what fit you need.
Pictures: http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/handlebar/109.html

Oh, and lastly I have one picture of a complete bike.  Looks nice to me!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:36:07 AM by Zdrenka89 »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
In my search I kinda stubled upon the fact that the BH RS1 aerobike lookes like it comes with the CHB1036 handlebar. Well at least it looks extremely similar!

You be the judge. Personally im not a huge fan actually... Its something with angles that throws it off.
I might actually look more towards the FSA NS ACR stem and handlebar instead. Gives me a smidge more flexibility too.

Zrider

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »
I just finished my build of this frame with the integrated handlebars.  I ended up having to order the FSA ACR headset and spacers as the bearing and race in the Carbonda headset did not sit flush in the fork/frame interface.  The headset spacers are also much nicer on the FSA headset than the Carbona one.  Attached in a poor quality photo of the handlebars (have not decided on handle bar drop yet so no top cap or cut steer yet).  The finish seems really nice, they are a little more flexible than I had anticipated, although no outside rides yet as it's the middle of winter.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 01:11:49 AM »
I just finished my build of this frame with the integrated handlebars.  I ended up having to order the FSA ACR headset and spacers as the bearing and race in the Carbonda headset did not sit flush in the fork/frame interface.  The headset spacers are also much nicer on the FSA headset than the Carbona one.  Attached in a poor quality photo of the handlebars (have not decided on handle bar drop yet so no top cap or cut steer yet).  The finish seems really nice, they are a little more flexible than I had anticipated, although no outside rides yet as it's the middle of winter.

Its a nice transition between the headset and frame. I like that!

What 'stem length / handlebar width' combo did you order?

Do you have a picture of the gap between the fork and frame with the new headset?

uluvas

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 03:45:23 AM »
Nice build! Has the fork already a hole for the braking cable or how did you manage to get it through the fork? I would like to see some more pictures of your build!

carbonazza

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
I just finished my build of this frame with the integrated handlebars.
What top diameter of the headtube do you need for integrated handlebars?

NorthboundRick

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »
I ended up having to order the FSA ACR headset and spacers as the bearing and race in the Carbonda headset did not sit flush in the fork/frame interface.

Congratulations on this really nice set up, I am sure you have been enjoying your bike already quite a bit. Do you mind sharing some more details?
What is the exact model FSA ACR headset and what is the overall weight of the bike and how heavy is the wheel set you have chosen?

Thanks,
Rick

BrianO

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 07:04:07 AM »
Pity it took so long to get a working headset.
Does anyone have a link to the FSA ACR headset?
My TT-X21 is with the Last mile carrier.

FHS

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »
https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type/headset-spares/headsets/road-mtb/no-55r-1-5-acr

I bought mine from Mybikeshop, but I just found out they have to order it direct from FSA.

https://mybikeshop.com/products/fsa-no-55r-1-5-acr-headset.html

Another option I'm looking into is Token.

https://www.tokenproducts.com/headsets/integrated/525-cable-box

They are around $50 for the headset and alloy crown, not including spacers. They have different material options as well as angled bearing options. I'm assuming the one that comes with the TT-X21 is 45 degrees, right?

Upgrade options are available as well.

FHS

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
Just got off the phone with FSA, extremely helpful. They have the FSA ACR in stock and ready to ship, and the tech confirmed that the set-up should work without the FSA top cover, as a long as the top cover used allows for cable and hose passage.

I'm moving foward with the upgrade, will update...

NorthboundRick

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2021, 11:54:11 PM »
I just finished my build of this frame with the integrated handlebars.  I ended up having to order the FSA ACR headset and spacers as the bearing and race in the Carbonda headset did not sit flush in the fork/frame interface.

Just to double check, the spacers shown on the picture are from FSA, right?

Thanks!

Zrider

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2021, 09:37:20 AM »

Just to double check, the spacers shown on the picture are from FSA, right?

Thanks!

That is correct.  The spacers are the FSA ones.  I found that the FSA spacers were much easier to install than the carbonda supplied ones.  The locking mechanism is really solid and you can adjust the headset spacers while the handlebars and cables are still installed.

I also found that the bearing in the FSA headset were a much better shape to install into the carbon cups in the frame.  The beveled edge of the bearing has significantly more contact area on the FSA bearings that the carbonda ones.

Zrider

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
What top diameter of the headtube do you need for integrated handlebars?

You need a 1.5in diameter top bearing for the housing to be routed internally.  The FSA ACR headset uses that bearing both in the top and bottom.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:44:12 AM by Zrider »