Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 46899 times)

CloneRider

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
Just to update anyone who in interested...I did finally get the frame.  Took approx. 6 weeks from day of payment to delivery.  There was some drama with USPS at the end where the postman refused to deliver it to my home and wanted me to go sign for it at the post office.  The shipping carton was severely crushed and he did not want to take responsibility.  The post office would not allow me to open and inspect the contents before signing for the parcel.  This is their policy..."no inspections allowed until you sign".  Thankfully...the frame inside was not damaged.

Everything was included...Headset, QR Seatpost Clamp, Rear Derailleur, Chain Guide and Rear Axle.  The frame was pre-routed with the plastic lines to pull both the shifter cable and rear brake hose thru the inside of the frame.

Quality looks good...they are incorrectly listing the Bottom Bracket width at 63mm...it is 73mm.  There is one minor manufacturing flaw that I will have to resolve.  One of the bearing bores (seat stay inside non-drive side horstlink) is just a couple thousands too large...so the bearing wiggles a bit...it does not fall out.  I will try some carefully placed red Permatex thread lock to see if that solves the problem.  As far as a warranty claim goes...AWST Cycling Tatics is still not showing any available product on their AliExpress store...so it remains to be determined if they are no longer selling under that name.  I did some more digging and I think they may be AllStar Bicycle.  The other 11 bearings fit tight.  They ship the frame with metal shielded bearings...so I am swapping them for ones with rubber seals so I can clean an re-grease when needed. 

Frame Weight "M":
Frame (with just the Derailleur Hanger attached) = 1,920 grams
Chain Guide = 49 grams
Headset Bearings (excluding that metal expansion plug) = 76 grams
QR Seatpost Clamp = 59 grams
Rear Axle = 44 grams
Total = 2,148 grams 8)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:05:35 PM by CloneRider »

scourge

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2021, 01:37:17 PM »
Looks good

david

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2021, 09:00:51 AM »
Just spotted this pop up on AliExpress

£562.82 | 2021 MTB EVO Frame Mountain-Bike-Frame Carbon-Suspension-Frame Boost-148mm 29er New MTB XC AM ENDURO Frameset
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKHLIEx

Info seems all wrong and contains a lot of pictures of shoes. But managed to find their website (I think)
 https://amp.obmbicycle.com/Carbon-frame-chameleon-frame-manufacturers-wholesale-carbon-frame-chameleon-frame-c66239/

Anyone dealt with OBM Bicycle before? Wondering whether its worth a shot

I just bought a wheelset from OBMbicycle.com and anyone confirm they are not a fraud site?

lans

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »
hi everyone,
I'm new on this forum and want to share a few info about this frame. Ordered in on december 23. recieved last week with DPD shipping or XDB whatever you call it - no tax had to be paid.
I had all the components (bar wheelsets) waiting at home so i could start assembly asap... but - they speciffy 190*50 or 160*50 rear shock - i went for 190*50. My frame is L size. I installed the shock and let all the pressure out to see where it stops - shocker... when rear triangle allready hit the seatpost the shock still had 10-12mm of travel left... So i fiddled around with caliper/measure tape and figgured it out that min length after the shock is compressed is 160mm and max is 210mm - so the only shock that is suitable in my opinion is 210*50mm - with that you have exactly 150mm of travel on the rear wheel. So the info they give out on the aliexpress seems to be wrong or the old design of the shock fork. anyways, i now ordered 210*50 shock.

The frame is really well made - of course i ordered all the oem items swus231 posted in #31 post - thanks! i did a hack paintjob and now waiting for the proper shock and wheels to check the ride. There are minor surface (I hope) dents/holes which the black paint hides really well so consider that when chosing your color choice.

Frame weighs 2190g painted - without seatpost clamp and chainguide.

Edit: i forgot to add, the headtube angle with 210mm shock and 160mm fork is around 65°

Do you think there's enough clearance to run a 210mmx55mm stroke shock?

emu26

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:37 PM »
I just bought a wheelset from OBMbicycle.com and anyone confirm they are not a fraud site?

Hopefully you will be able to confirm that for all of us in a few weeks.

Mousey

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2021, 11:26:51 PM »
Do you think there's enough clearance to run a 210mmx55mm stroke shock?

I don't think there is. As with 50mm stroke you only have 4-5 mm clearance on the seatpost to the swing arm: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodhshLG0I0gi60D1S0BOJsq4ccteQ
I'm running 210x50 RS superdeluxe ultimate with a piggy back - can't fit bigger bottle than 500ml and that is with rail that moves the bottle lower and further back on the lower tube.

lans

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2021, 01:01:32 AM »
I don't think there is. As with 50mm stroke you only have 4-5 mm clearance on the seatpost to the swing arm: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodhshLG0I0gi60D1S0BOJsq4ccteQ
I'm running 210x50 RS superdeluxe ultimate with a piggy back - can't fit bigger bottle than 500ml and that is with rail that moves the bottle lower and further back on the lower tube.

That does look like it might hit with 5mm more stroke. How about when the shock is fully extended? Is there still room to push back the yoke? I was thinking it might be possible to use an offset bushing to add more room at bottom out. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Mousey

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2021, 08:19:31 AM »
It's around 4-5mm with flip-chip in lower position. If i flip it the yoke will be even closer.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AodhshLG0I0gi7JaGEYKZz3_Si0_Zg

Guyzer73

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2021, 02:25:46 AM »
Hi All,

New to the forum, and new to buying a Chinese carbon frame. Apologies for the long winded post...

I'm not worried out the quality issues, plenty of info here on that. And TBH even main stream brands had there issues when introducing Thermoplastic/ CF 20yrs ago, just look at the STS, of which I have the XCR 1000...

I love the look of this frame but it seems there are 2 versions. The one here which seems to be more like the 2019 EVO with a big kick in the top tube to the seat tube, whereas as this version seems to have a flatter top tube like the 2021 Stumpie/EVO.

Both have geo more like the regular Stumpie, even though they have the pivot in the chain stay (EVO) and not the flex tube design of the Stumpie...

I am right or seeing this completely wrong?

However, that's actually fairly irrelevant, just an observation.

My main issue is with the new geo sizing.

I'm coming from a cramped M sized GT STS XCR 1000, which was always too small for me, but I had to have the frame... to modern geo. Unfortunately where I live there is no Specialized dealer I can jump on a bike and check sizes... So basing this purely on data, the Chinese copies / seem to have a large frame that is similar to a S3 size, albeit the stack is similar to an S5?. However, for my size 6'1"/ 186cm I'm recommended the S4.

So is there anybody of my height that's bought this frame and can give any feedback of fit? I know its an individual thing but any thoughts would be welcome. I am also aware coming from a cramped old school bike to this modern geo I should feel more stretched and comfortable on even the L/S3 frame than what I have now.

I'm also planning on doing a mullet bike build with a 27.5 rear and 29 front with a 150mm Fox fork which will reduce the reach further I believe, but am not sure, whilst at the same time dropping the BB height and slackening both head and seat angles. Another option I'm considering to getting closer to the EVO geo is installing a Works Component offset headset, but will only do this once the build is finished and I have ridden it and measure the geo.

Look forward to your thoughts and thanks for having me. ;D

Cheers

Guy

Look forward

chetosmachine

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2021, 06:49:45 AM »
Welcome Guy!
Is this going to be your only bike? How comes that being 186cm tall you had a Medium GT?
Why mullet?
What kind of trails, and intended use you wanna do?

Guyzer73

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2021, 07:53:22 AM »
Cheers @chetosmachine

Ultimately it will be my only bike when I put the GT to rest, or give it to one of my kids....

I got an M because I couldn't find a large in Germany at the time and figured I could live with it, which I did for 20 odd years. Basically stupidity.... But now I find the riding position cramped and giving me lower back pain as I can't get real comfortable... Hence deciding going for a new bike and I've always built my own.

Why mullet? I could say I'm sold on the theoretical advantages but really it's down to optics...

My riding is currently very easy as it's with the kids in Oman so not much in the way of trails nearby and bloody hot... However, we'll be returning to Europe (Munich) or heading to Toronto so want to build a suitable bike. I considered sticking with 120/120 travel XC bike but decided a little more travel might not be a bad thing. I'm not looking for a trail/ Enduro, rather a XC/trail bike with a representative weight for a good build.

And hence I landed here with this frame in mind as it fits the bill with a 140mm trace, lightweight and I like the optics of the EVO frame.

So there you are  :D

Guyzer73

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2021, 11:40:24 AM »
http://
Yeah it looks like the old Stumpy, unless you found a source with the new Stumpy frame. I'd be pretty interested in the new frame.

Is this what you're looking for? I think k this looks like the newer Stumpie, however geo looks the same.

https://rinascltabike.com/29er-carbon-mountain-bike-frame-110-travel/

Cheers

Guy

Bajker

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
I don't think there's two versions of the frame it's just the large sized frame has bigger kick at the seat tube (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Guyzer73

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »
ah ok. My error,must keep seeing Ms... Shame the M looks way better than the L....

Mikey12345

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
Hey guys, brand new to the site and I am about to order this frame with a custom paint job. However, I am still a little bit iffy on the sizing. I am 178cm tall (5 foot 10) and want something equivalent to an s4, as that is what the local bike shops have recommended to me. However, I noticed people here who are MUCH taller than me went with a medium. I was thinking the large is probably closest to the s4, and I'm just not sure which way to go. I am planning on pairing it with a fox 36 grip 2 with 160mm of travel. Thanks in advance!