Author Topic: ICAN triaero A9  (Read 31456 times)

carbonazza

Re: ICAN triaero A9
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 05:18:29 AM »

Thank you carbonazza-san, Matt_C-san,

The weight
Frame : 1176g(with hangers, without TA)
Fork : 408g(uncut)
Seatpost : 270g(uncut)
Handlebars: 360g(witdh 400mm, stem length 100mm)
Headset : 153g(without spacers)
Fron TA : 64g
Rear TA : 75g

The TA has a lever, which I thought would be a disadvantage in terms of aerodynamics, so I changed to a flat type.
The flat TA was approx 40g.

I was expecting it to be a bit lighter, a sub 7kg disc must be expensive.
If I break my road bike, this is a serious option.
Thank you for the information !

Matt_C

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 05:39:04 AM »

Sub 7kg full aero bike with disc breaks is practically unheard of. A mate of mine has a top of the line Venge with Dura ace Di2 and he is still over 7kg. I think sub 7.5kg for a full aero bike with discs would be considered light.

kisuke3

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 07:55:17 PM »

Due to the integrated design of the AeroRoad bike, the handlebars and seatpost cannot be changed, so if you're aiming for less than 7kg, you'll need the following component configuration. As a prerequisite, the group set should be a mechanical Ultegra.

Wheels: under 1200g
Cassette: 175g DA
Saddle: 130g or less
Brake Rotors: 214g XTR
Tires: as light as possible

Wheels that fit the requirements are especially expensive. If the group set is Dura-Ace, you may have an easier shot at it.

Matt_C

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:14:23 AM »
Due to the integrated design of the AeroRoad bike, the handlebars and seatpost cannot be changed, so if you're aiming for less than 7kg, you'll need the following component configuration. As a prerequisite, the group set should be a mechanical Ultegra.

Wheels: under 1200g
Cassette: 175g DA
Saddle: 130g or less
Brake Rotors: 214g XTR
Tires: as light as possible

Wheels that fit the requirements are especially expensive. If the group set is Dura-Ace, you may have an easier shot at it.

Since we are on Chinese town it should be made clear that there are some good options for lightweight wheels, cassettes, saddles and rotors on AliExpress without paying the name brand premium.

carbonazza

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »
... if you're aiming for less than 7kg...
I'm not particularly aiming this, it was just about the person who reported on an Italian forum to have done it.
With that frame's weight, I was thinking that some serious money would be needed in light components to achieve this with discs.

Matt_C

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
I'm not particularly aiming this, it was just about the person who reported on an Italian forum to have done it.
With that frame's weight, I was thinking that some serious money would be needed in light components to achieve this with discs.

He was quoting some crazy weights. So much so that other forum users questioned his scales and made him take the bike apart and put up pictures for proof. But the frame ended up cracking so it was light for the wrong reasons...

Matt_C

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Build complete.
Weight 8.2kg
Price £2200
Price and weight includes everything you see in the picture and Magene power meter. Carbon saddle still hasn't arrive which should drop the weight even more.

tvan01

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 08:58:44 PM »
This looks amazing, nice job mate! The gold detail looks awesome!

How much of that price was just the frame and shipping?

Matt_C

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 08:57:37 AM »
Thank you for your kind words. I'm in love with the bike. It was so nice to be able to choose exactly what I wanted and no have to settle for anything less. I was considering buying a low spec reacto for about £2k and then doing that up but would have been selling bits of the bike in order to buy the parts I want. Building my own bike from scratch was definitely the best decision I could have made.

Full price I paid to ICAN was $886 via paypal.

ivorhooper

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 03:10:44 AM »
Thank you for your kind words. I'm in love with the bike. It was so nice to be able to choose exactly what I wanted and no have to settle for anything less. I was considering buying a low spec reacto for about £2k and then doing that up but would have been selling bits of the bike in order to buy the parts I want. Building my own bike from scratch was definitely the best decision I could have made.

Full price I paid to ICAN was $886 via paypal.

Hi matt, that's a stunning bike! I'm looking at getting one of these at some point.
May I ask - how tall are you and what size is that bike?
Also, what are those wheels?
thanks

Matt_C

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 03:41:51 AM »
Thank you!

The bike has been brilliant so far. Absolute speed machine and only weighs 7.9kg. pretty light for an aero disc brake bike. Could easily be brought down to 7.5kg with a few cheap component changes and 7kg if I was to throw some money at it. What stands out on the frame for me is the quality of the finishing, all holes drilled in the handlebars and frame are extremely tidy. Maybe I just got a very good example of a frame but it feels like someone took some real care and attention with it.

The frame size is a 56 with a 400x110mm handlebar. I am 186cm tall. I probably could have a more relaxed fit 58cm frame but I am glad I went with the 56cm for racing.

The wheels are from an AliExpress seller called "Elite Wheels". They only cost me £290 and I am very happy with them for the price. You can spec whatever hub you want but I went with their own brand 6 pawl hub which is super loud but I feel like it won't last to long in UK weather. Next time I will try their own brand ratchet hub which is similar to DTswiss.

If you do decide to buy off ICAN contact Perry@icancycling.com tell him Matthew from London sent you because I'm trying to buy more stuff from him at a discount haha.

ivorhooper

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:23 AM »
Thank you!

The bike has been brilliant so far. Absolute speed machine and only weighs 7.9kg. pretty light for an aero disc brake bike. Could easily be brought down to 7.5kg with a few cheap component changes and 7kg if I was to throw some money at it. What stands out on the frame for me is the quality of the finishing, all holes drilled in the handlebars and frame are extremely tidy. Maybe I just got a very good example of a frame but it feels like someone took some real care and attention with it.

The frame size is a 56 with a 400x110mm handlebar. I am 186cm tall. I probably could have a more relaxed fit 58cm frame but I am glad I went with the 56cm for racing.

The wheels are from an AliExpress seller called "Elite Wheels". They only cost me £290 and I am very happy with them for the price. You can spec whatever hub you want but I went with their own brand 6 pawl hub which is super loud but I feel like it won't last to long in UK weather. Next time I will try their own brand ratchet hub which is similar to DTswiss.

If you do decide to buy off ICAN contact Perry@icancycling.com tell him Matthew from London sent you because I'm trying to buy more stuff from him at a discount haha.

I'm from the UK too...York, so worse weather than "balmy" London :D
How much tax did you end up paying from the frame and wheels just out of interest?
Probably won't look at getting a frame until spring next year but I'm just putting in the research now.
I like the look of the ICAN wheels too - UCI certified for not much money and they seem to get good reviews from what I've read.

Matt_C

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 04:46:54 AM »
I am originally from north west Ireland so for me London is nearly tropical!

Tax was pre paid with the shipping. I think I paid around £700 all in  for frame, shipping and tax but I know that postage prices are a bit crazy right now because of covid. Planes used to be passengers plus luggage plus cargo, right now it's cargo only because not many people are flying. Airlines still need to make a profit so the price of flying the cargo has gone way up.

mhenry

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 11:26:28 AM »

Thank you carbonazza-san, Matt_C-san,

The weight
Frame : 1176g(with hangers, without TA)
Fork : 408g(uncut)
Seatpost : 270g(uncut)
Handlebars: 360g(witdh 400mm, stem length 100mm)
Headset : 153g(without spacers)
Fron TA : 64g
Rear TA : 75g

The TA has a lever, which I thought would be a disadvantage in terms of aerodynamics, so I changed to a flat type.
The flat TA was approx 40g.

Nice work on the bike! I just ordered one and am going to build it up with the latest Ultegra Di2. It looks like I'm getting a different handlebar/stem combo though, the HB017.

I'm also  wondering which TAs you got for your frame. Which length and tread pitch?

Matt_C

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »
The HB017 is their older model of handlebar. They currently have no stock on the new one until the new year.

The frame comes with TAs that have a lever like a quick release so I bought these TAs from AliExpress. No issues so far.

£11.11  20%OFF | OG-EVKIN QR-002 Road Disc Brake Quick Release M12*P1.5 Thru-Axle 12x142mm Rear/12x100mm Front Bicycle Skewers For Road Disc QR
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1gcFX