Author Topic: ICAN triaero A9  (Read 31458 times)

mhenry

Re: ICAN triaero A9
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
Thanks, Matt! Good info! It was quite the process to get Perry to agree to send me a 400x120 combo, but I will probably change it to something else before the road season starts.

I also tried getting info on whether or not there's a hole for the front brake hose in the steerer tube, but I'm guessing there is since they're sending me the HB017 and it doesn't have a hole in the top part of the stem. Did you check when putting the bike together?

Matt_C

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »
Thanks, Matt! Good info! It was quite the process to get Perry to agree to send me a 400x120 combo, but I will probably change it to something else before the road season starts.

I also tried getting info on whether or not there's a hole for the front brake hose in the steerer tube, but I'm guessing there is since they're sending me the HB017 and it doesn't have a hole in the top part of the stem. Did you check when putting the bike together?

That is a brilliant point and well done for thinking of this. I don't recall seeing a hole in the fork when building my frame as my cable went through the top to the steerer. Get in contact with Perry to clarify in sure he will have sent the correct version. The entire headset is different depending on what handlebar you order so I am sure they have forks with holes aswell. Let me know how it goes and please update this thread with your build!

mhenry

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 03:29:48 PM »
I tried several times but he somehow dodged my questions  ;D

I found a video on Amazon clearly showing a hole in the steerer tube: https://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Triaero-Carbon-Frameset-Mount/dp/B086BX7JCN

I guess I will see soon :)

Matt_C

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »
Yeah they have build videos on YouTube showing a hole in the fork aswell but I am nearly sure my fork didn't have a hole. I just really hope they send you the proper frame, last thing you want to do is go drilling a fork.

mhenry

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 03:44:45 PM »
Good point! I would never drill the fork, but I guess it won't hurt to try one last time to get a confirmation. Again, thanks a lot!

mhenry

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »
Oh, I also ordered the thru axles you have. At 71 grams they're quite a lot lighter than the stock ones (130+ grams?).

Matt_C

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 03:56:04 PM »
Well they drill the fork at the factory, I'm sure a bike shop would do it for you if needed.

Yeah OG-Evkin products are usually pretty solid, I have had nothing but good experiences with their products. Surprisingly fast delivery to the UK too (Spanish warehouse).

mhenry

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
Sounds good! The Spanish warehouse wouldn't deliver to Sweden but I don't really mind waiting. It's snowing here at the moment and I will have all winter to complete the build. But I will definitely post the it here.

The frame is a size 58. I was looking at the Winspace T1500 Disc, but found it too long and low compared to what I'm used to. It might've worked, but I didn't want to gamble. I did order a Winspace 50mm Hyper Disc wheelset though.

I have some parts from other bikes that will go on the A9. The Ultegra Di2 groupset was hard to find at a reasonable price, so I ended up ordering from three different stores. Everything is on backorder and most stores say it won't be back in stock until spring. I have the same groupset on my ultra-distance bike and like the idea of being able to move parts over if (when) I crash. It has saved me from off-bike time before.

I'm going to try a Shimano BB86 bottom bracket (SM-BB92-41B), but I might change it for something with threaded sleeves in case it starts creaking. Can you recommend the one you bought, Matt?

Matt_C

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 05:12:12 PM »
There is a major shortage of most cycling equipment right now. I heard there is a shortage of DTswiss hubs too. I have been buying most stuff high quality second hand on eBay and I am pretty happy. Lots of people selling barely used equipment at a good price because it doesn't fit them, wrong crank length, derailleur cage size, chainring size etc.

Oh I am glad you mentioned BBs. I found one that I cannot recommend highly enough! It's a ZTTO BB86 that has 2 parts and threads together into the frame. No need for bearing presses, just a standard BB tool. It's based off a more expensive BB called the "token ninja" which gets brilliant reviews too. China cycling on YouTube (works with winspace) recently reviewed the token BB and compared it to the hambini BB and it is pretty damn close. Easy to install, easy to remove and the threads reduce the risk of creaks.

£16.04  40%OFF | ZTTO BB86 24mm CERAMIC BB92 BB90 Press Fit Bottom Brackets Thread lock for Road Bicycle Mountain bike 24 shaft Crankset chainset
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BSxHYj

Ossip

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 01:41:05 AM »
I tried several times but he somehow dodged my questions  ;D

I found a video on Amazon clearly showing a hole in the steerer tube: https://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Triaero-Carbon-Frameset-Mount/dp/B086BX7JCN

I guess I will see soon :)

already received the frame? I am also planning to buy a frame from ICAN, but I found the communication with Perry very hard.
Let me know,

Greetings Ossip

mhenry

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »
I've struggled to get a confirmation from him regarding if there's an extra hole in the steerer tube and if the frameset has been sent. He said the frame would be sent out yesterday, but I haven't received any tracking number or confirmation. Maybe he's grown tired of all my questions and e-mails. :D

Krapotke

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
I've struggled to get a confirmation from him regarding if there's an extra hole in the steerer tube and if the frameset has been sent. He said the frame would be sent out yesterday, but I haven't received any tracking number or confirmation. Maybe he's grown tired of all my questions and e-mails. :D

Hey you have good news?

osse85

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
I can confirm that the fork that was delivered with the HB017 handlebar has a hole in the upper tube.
I received the frame in size 58 last week but I was wondering that all the spacers and the upper cap of the headset are out of metal and not as usual out of plastic.
Are the spacers with the newer handlebar out of plastic?

And I have another issue, I can’t get the handlebar low enough compared to my other bike because of the height of the headset cap and the necessary spacer for the handlebar.
Is the newerhandlebar lower ?

Krapotke

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »
I can confirm that the fork that was delivered with the HB017 handlebar has a hole in the upper tube.
I received the frame in size 58 last week but I was wondering that all the spacers and the upper cap of the headset are out of metal and not as usual out of plastic.
Are the spacers with the newer handlebar out of plastic?

And I have another issue, I can’t get the handlebar low enough compared to my other bike because of the height of the headset cap and the necessary spacer for the handlebar.
Is the newerhandlebar lower ?

which Handlebar Stem config you choose?

osse85

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 04:10:25 AM »
I have the HB017 handlebar in 110/420