Author Topic: TanTan TT-X21 frame  (Read 25087 times)

timjen

Re: TanTan TT-X21 frame
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2022, 02:51:39 PM »
Yeah, you need to either add a spacer or cut the steerer tube for starters, then go from there.

Hi,

I put another spacer in there, did my first race this year and really felt uncomfortable/unsafe over 50kp/h. The whole frontend just don‘t feel good and i really can‘t exactly tell why. My first guess is the half compression ring - i really would like to use the whole acr system but then noticed the different placed „dots“… are there any options to ride with another ring?

Ann from TanTan wanted a Video of the assembly - if I am doing anything wrong here please tell me. Any chance to get a better feeling/result with another bar/stem?

FHS

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2022, 07:40:50 PM »
The compression ring from the FSA headset worked fine with my TanTan headset cover. I did cover the top surface with some tacky tape but it probably didnt need it. Not sure what else to suggest other than to let a tech take look a it.

I'd show you my set-up but it's currently mothballed.

timjen

« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »
Hey over there,

as written above my first impressions/misgivings were instability in the front end - thinking about the headset and later the stem/bar. At first I found out that the bolt for this one-bold stem hindered the topcap bold to tighten, after fixing this with a standard topcap by myself I finally found the real problem: the fork seems to be flexing a lot...

--> Everything is tightened with correct NM - a friend of mine said after watching this video anything should be loose, but the is nothing, it's just flexing.

Well, I bought the frame in summer, my first mails about my problems to Ann were in autumn... I really think this must be under warranty.

Everything about 55km/h is undrivable (and I drove about 100km/h with other bikes).

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 02:08:20 PM by timjen »

ldavies

« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2022, 04:04:27 PM »
Really hard to see that there is a problem from this video but I am not an expert in these matters.

FHS

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2022, 01:40:37 PM »
Hey over there,

as written above my first impressions/misgivings were instability in the front end - thinking about the headset and later the stem/bar. At first I found out that the bolt for this one-bold stem hindered the topcap bold to tighten, after fixing this with a standard topcap by myself I finally found the real problem: the fork seems to be flexing a lot...

--> Everything is tightened with correct NM - a friend of mine said after watching this video anything should be loose, but the is nothing, it's just flexing.

Well, I bought the frame in summer, my first mails about my problems to Ann were in autumn... I really think this must be under warranty.

Everything about 55km/h is undrivable (and I drove about 100km/h with other bikes).

What are your thoughts?

Among the many issues with the headset that I had to work through, the tech at my LBS saw that I had wobble from a loose thru axle that wouldn't tighten down properly. He fitted a washer and that took care of the problem. I suspect others who have bought this frame probably have to deal with the same issue, but you are the only other person who has brought up anything about the forks.

As far as flex in the forks in general, yeah, I noticed some disc rubbing when I put down power out of the saddle, but nothing too terrible.

timjen

« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2022, 03:33:09 PM »
A friend of mine who drives the same frame noticed a huge improvement of stability after changing the stem/bar-combo.

What can I do to change my system? TanTan has the hb010 (or something like that), but after all the disappointing support mails I don't wanne spend more money to this brand - is there any other chance to get something work?

FHS

« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2022, 11:24:15 AM »
A friend of mine who drives the same frame noticed a huge improvement of stability after changing the stem/bar-combo.

What can I do to change my system? TanTan has the hb010 (or something like that), but after all the disappointing support mails I don't wanne spend more money to this brand - is there any other chance to get something work?

Tan Tan uses a pretty generic Chinese top cover and spacers for their handlebars. You can replace everything from the top cover up and go with a ride range of options that include separate stem/handlebar combos. If you want to go with a pricey mainstream option, the FSA ACR system will fit. I kept the Tan Tan top cover and spacers, replaced everything else in the headset with FSA ACR, then picked up a set of Og Evkin bars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334115428750?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4dcad4d98e:g:kc8AAOSwA5JhGjGA&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4BX3RHiBvFRGqGzniKAxrooapQdykKwxb17DrX8EI18bFF4sE5QJo3HVyUb2wQ3i3A0Owj1pbht0CVtyGAKOChNMQ%2FphItDf6J%2FQuDWeBWUJVLHPgJdRKowHEjElKgCTM01yU66ihi1izU1KpeSXZOAkSt6vLLRVcaquVVnwznnwgd6etHO5FjNOvsVnUrIfa4%2BAMRcTNwNsgA9vP4Q9ngMaqkuu6Q0yUWIV6UBYNMVC%2FTvGcgci0mgjEfbCD2RnG22z6ih12mvwKcGK3mHoHCrwn%2BUCBRqBHpdhqjTo9ngN%7Ctkp%3ABFBMsqDOnfhf

I had to drill a couple of tiny holes where the spacers meet the stem, but other than that, it was straight swap.

timjen

« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2022, 01:53:26 PM »
Oh, that sounds good and that was one of my upcoming questions - the tiny holes I would need.

I think I will look for the acr system. Is it possible to use a „normal“ stem with a adapter? —> or is something like this possible?

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-gear/specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl7-review/

—> The SL7 stem/bar is not cheap / I really like the Unit, but I wonder how to „connect“ the ACR headset-cap with the Tarmac spacer. Should the designing via 3D-Printer be hard enough for a Spacer? I am not familiar with this.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 04:27:04 PM by timjen »

Hanirie

« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2022, 10:05:59 AM »
Hello everyone,

I just ordered the x-21 frame. Getting all the stuff together for the build right now. In case of the saddle I am a bit unsure. Does the seat post provide a round or oval clamp?

Thanks for your help!

ldavies

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
I have a tt-x21 and was running a carbon oval saddle rail but not any more (for saddle fit reasons).  Does a seatpost clamp have to be different for oval and round rails?   I have another bike where it is definitely a different fitting but I that is a bit unique to the bike.  You coudl always ask tantan by email or chat.

2freak

« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2022, 02:39:28 AM »
Hello fellow TT-X21ers!

I am waiting for my frame to arrive but one thing that bothers quite a lot, besides the headset potential problem or slipping seatpost, is the huge offset from the seatpost.

I heard the TT-X21 is exactly the same has the VB-R-099 and that there is a Zero offset seatpost sold by Velobuild. Does anyone already tried the zero offset VB seatpost on the X21?

Thanks!

Clement34

« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2024, 11:28:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm refreshing this topic to show you my future bike!

This is my first experience with TanTan and I'm very satisfied with the service so far. I had very specific requirements for this turnkey bike, and Rose from TanTan was very helpful.  Here are the photos I received today.

Description :
TT-X21 custom paint Size 56
50mm carbon rims with Continental GP500
Shimano 105 Di2

They should ship it this week, I can't wait to receive it.

I will update as soon.

ldavies

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2024, 03:53:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just ordered the x-21 frame. Getting all the stuff together for the build right now. In case of the saddle I am a bit unsure. Does the seat post provide a round or oval clamp?

Thanks for your help!

How did it work for you?  Any pictureds of the complete bike?  How did the build go?

My son has grown.  He currently has a size 52 and I am thinking of purchasing him a 56.  My customer service experience with tantan has not been good with small parts missing from shipments and then them insisting that I made a mistake, extra handlebars I purchase missing etc.

Serge_K

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2024, 04:15:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm refreshing this topic to show you my future bike!

This is my first experience with TanTan and I'm very satisfied with the service so far. I had very specific requirements for this turnkey bike, and Rose from TanTan was very helpful.  Here are the photos I received today.

Description :
TT-X21 custom paint Size 56
50mm carbon rims with Continental GP500
Shimano 105 Di2

They should ship it this week, I can't wait to receive it.

I will update as soon.

Very nice! I think it's the first bike I see that's built by the factory themselves. The paint job and frame look a lot like factor, was it on purpose or is it in my head?
I wouldn't have gone with "seraph" though, unless they gave me the frame :p
How much was the whole thing including shipping? I'm OCD and would want to choose every component, but it's great to have the option to have a one stop shop and receive a full bike.

Clement34

« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2024, 01:04:26 AM »
Very nice! I think it's the first bike I see that's built by the factory themselves. The paint job and frame look a lot like factor, was it on purpose or is it in my head?
I wouldn't have gone with "seraph" though, unless they gave me the frame :p
How much was the whole thing including shipping? I'm OCD and would want to choose every component, but it's great to have the option to have a one stop shop and receive a full bike.

Thank you ! Indeed I didn’t feel myself building a bike from scratch, I don’t have the tool and the patience. Also yes I was very inspired by the Factor Ostro Vam but I didn’t want to have a fake one so I decided to go full Seraph. 

The whole price including shipping was USD 2650. They send 2 box (1 for the fram assembled, one for the wheels).