Author Topic: MTB by pazolini1  (Read 5847 times)

pazolini1

MTB by pazolini1
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:40 PM »
Hi mates,
Nice to have a forum that discuss and share knowledge about chinese frames and mtb in general... I had been looking for frames for a quite long time and decided to get a IP-256 SL from iPlay (Why? Most of internet users over forums have them and are always posting positive feedbacks). My frame is about to arrive and I bought all the components as well...I will post photos of the bike built as soon as I get everything ! My priority was both weight and quality and I set as a budget limit around 2500 AU. The component's decision were based on thoroughly search from buying guides (bike radar, bycicling.com) and some threads of this forum. I am around 1,80 m and my mtb style is XC (Also a good advice is to before starting build the bike, have a deep look at your measures and put on the paper).

Frame : IP-256 SL
Fork : Rock Shox Reba RL 100mm
Wheel set: DT Swiss 1700
Groupset: XT Shimano (Probably the one that gave me most headaches as long as I decided to buy the components separetly which is CHEAPER)
Stem, Headset, Handlebar,Top cap : All of them I bought from the same brand (FSA)
Tyres : Schwalbe Smart Sam
Saddle and Seatpost: Ritchey
Others : Brake liquid, cables, protector tapes, chainsuck protector (from iPlay)

My advices for those who are building their bikes are :
Look at the thread from Mtb2223 which it is even more complete in terms of weight and components in general.
Use youtube and trustworthy websites as a buyer's guide, or ask for the fellows of this forum.
Careful with measures

Cheers,
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:38:34 AM by pazolini1 »

MTB2223

Re: My MTB build + Excel spreadsheet for setups in general
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:43:27 AM »
Please take a look at my build list. I think it have more structure. Group, item, weight, price, link.

Sussed.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:07:43 AM »
Hi paz,

You might want to check on the headset.  I think the 256 will need a tapered headset not the conventional you have linked to.  256 owners will confirm.

Chainreaction do the tapered Cane Creek which I have used ......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-40-series-is52-40-bottom-assembly/rp-prod115643
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-40-series-is42-top-assembly/rp-prod115645

also I think people have used the headset that Xmi supply and have been happy with it. 

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:36 AM »
Yes, IP256 needs a tapered headset. I've got mine from Peter (XmiPlay), the FSA one (but I think he send me a neco one). I needed some shims. And now it fits great.

pazolini1

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »
Ok, you are right...I have changed here
How about wheels, any suggestion ? I am still not sure about the handlebar (Flat or riser)...
Cheers

brmeyer135

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Flat or riser would be a 'feel' or individual choice.
Since they are pretty cheap, some have bought both to see which they prefer.
Looking on Alibaba, you will find multiple handlebar groups(brand imitation to) that are pretty cheap.

pazolini1

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
I have chosen this one EC90 XC Carbon from Easton... It seems to fit what I am looking for !
Almost done with my bike , only component that I still have no idea are the wheels :(

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
I have chosen this one EC90 XC Carbon from Easton... It seems to fit what I am looking for !
Almost done with my bike , only component that I still have no idea are the wheels :(

What is your budget?  If you can seeing for them, the Chinese carbon offerings from Iplay and LightBike are a great value.

pazolini1

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
Lets say I have got a quiet good budget, so, I have been looking for DT Swiss and Shimano...But no decision has come out

Vipassana

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:38:09 AM »
I say order carbon rims and have them laced to your hub of choice.

adym

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
Hans Dampf tyres? Really? oooookay. Heavy! Nobby Nic's could save you 200g per tyre! HD 29x2.35 - 850g, NN Evo S/S 29 x 2.25 650g. I also don't know the rear tyre clearance of the ip256 frame.

Also the usual stuff, 1x10? Tubeless?

For the wheels I would generally advise a sealed bearing, but then if you know what you're doing with cup/cone then shimano hubs will last you a very long time indeed.

pazolini1

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Yeah, you are right mate...I have changed the tyres and yesterday I found good prince at a french website so Nobby Nic was my option !  :)
Have you guys had any experience with ergo grips ? I am still stuck with the wheels  >:( , can find good info (guide, reviews)...

brmeyer135

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
Are you shooting for lightweight, durable or what?
And, what type of riding?
That would help also.

adym

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
I used ergon grips for a number of years and found them to be excellent! Whilst expensive they are very comfortable and do last a very long time, my last set are at least 3 years old and still with plenty of life left. I now use ESI silicon grips due to their weight and comfy (not as comfy, but very light)

Sjon7283

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 04:49:10 AM »
Hello pazolini,

Can you tel me your personal sizes (length)

Greets