Author Topic: IP-036 29er Full Suspension Chiner Vs Other FS Bikes  (Read 12312 times)

Rigid_Bloke

IP-036 29er Full Suspension Chiner Vs Other FS Bikes
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
Hey Carbon_Dude,

If I remember correctly, you stated somewhere here at Chinertown that your old bike was some type of Specialized full suspension 26er.. Now I know it's not a direct comparison but I'm interested in how you would rate the quality of the actual suspension part of the chiner frame (pivots, joints, linkages, etc.) compared to that of a big name like Specialized?

Also.. besides quality of the full suspension components of the frame, what about function? Do you think the suspension of your chiner frames compare favorably with that of the latest from Niner, Salsa, Giant, etc.? Does this chiner frame imitate name brand frame, that I am unaware of?

Really interested in this frame,especially after seeing your build with it, but I want not only a well manufactured full carbon full suspension frame, I also want a well designed suspension that cam compete with the likes of Maestro and such.

Sorry for so many questions, and I completely understand if you're simply not familiar enough with all of the different designs and frames out there to answer, but it seems like you're always posting up about going to the latest demo days, so I thought it was worth an ask.

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP-036 29er Full Suspension Chiner Vs Other FS Bikes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:21 AM »
I decided to split this topic as I think it deserves it's own discussion.

Hey Carbon_Dude,

If I remember correctly, you stated somewhere here at Chinertown that your old bike was some type of Specialized full suspension 26er.. Now I know it's not a direct comparison but I'm interested in how you would rate the quality of the actual suspension part of the chiner frame (pivots, joints, linkages, etc.) compared to that of a big name like Specialized?

Also.. besides quality of the full suspension components of the frame, what about function? Do you think the suspension of your chiner frames compare favorably with that of the latest from Niner, Salsa, Giant, etc.? Does this chiner frame imitate name brand frame, that I am unaware of?

Really interested in this frame,especially after seeing your build with it, but I want not only a well manufactured full carbon full suspension frame, I also want a well designed suspension that cam compete with the likes of Maestro and such.

Sorry for so many questions, and I completely understand if you're simply not familiar enough with all of the different designs and frames out there to answer, but it seems like you're always posting up about going to the latest demo days, so I thought it was worth an ask.

Rigid_Bloke, don't mind answering questions.  I guess that's why I hang out on the forums, to both gain and share knowledge and experience.

Yes, I owned a 2004 Specialized Epic, a good bike, after 10 years it was time for a new FS bike.  The bearings in the pivots were pretty rough feeling when I last pulled them out to grease them.  However, I could not feel any difference compared to when the bike was new and the bearings were back in the frame.  The Epic's suspension has changed a lot over the years so before I committed to building a FS Chiner, I made sure I checked out several other bikes, here is what I demo'd prior to doing the FS Chiner:

1)  Did a couple test rides on an 2014 Specialized EPIC Comp and EPIC World Cup.  The geometry is different between the WC and the Comp, I preferred the Comp because it was more relaxed, the WC was too cramped for me although it did feel a little more nimble.

Comparing the EPIC to the FS Chiner, I'd say the geometry feels somewhere in between the EPIC Comp and WC, not too relaxed but not too cramped feeling.   The EPIC suspension works very well and if I didn't mindy spending $8k on a Carbon 29er with XX1, I still think the EPIC would be on top of my list.  One review I read from Bike Magazine said they liked the EPIC better with the suspension fully locked out all the time. Not that I would agree with them, but I can see where they are coming from.  The EPIC's Brain shock stays locked until the trail gets bumpy so it is like riding a HT half the time, and when the suspension is active, it doesn't necessarily do a great job at soaking up the big bumps, the ride is not very compliant, probably the stiffest FS bike I've ridden.

2)  I had the opportunity to ride an IP-036 when I was at a local bike race.  There was a vendor there that had both the IP-056 and IP-036 for sale under their own brand name.  When asked, the vendor made no secret that his bikes were the same as what you and I could build.  So I took the bike for a spin and liked it.  I was lucky to be able to get a ride on an IP-036 prior to building one.  The selling price was approx. 1.5x what I would spend to build my own.

3)  Scott Spark.  The LBS just a mile from my house is a SCOTT and GIANT dealer and the Sr. Tech owns a Scott Spark 920.  I rode his bike around the parking lot and around the building, it is similar to the IP-036 but the ride is a little different.  Of course the Fork and Shock are not exactly the same as what I have, the twin-lock suspension lock lever works a little easier than mine, the bike feels a little heavier than mine.  However, the Spark is a good bike, fit and finish is better.  The paint is a nice Matte Charcoal Grey, I'm sure the pivot bearings are higher quality also.  However, like any FS Carbon 29er that's not an IP-036, it's twice the price.

I also rode the Scott Spark 910 at the Southeast Bike Expo, that model was a demo from SRAM that had XX1 and the new SRAM Trail brakes.  Bike rode very well, close to the IP-036, maybe even a little better, but again the 910 retails at twice the price.

4)  Pivot Mach 429:  Bike was okay, nothing memorable though.  Felt a little slow to maneuver on the trail.

5)  Giant Anthem 27.5.  Bike rode well but to me I like the 29er size more.  They did not have a 29er Anthem at the trail demo, Giant is pushing it's 650b models so they did not bring any 29ers at all.  The Maestro suspension worked well, I would have no complaints with this bike in a 29er size.  I'd say the suspension on the IP-036 works similarly in soaking up bumps and both have very little pedal bob.  Both suspensions feel pretty efficient.  The Anthem did not have a remote shock lockout so that would be something I would want.

6)  I also rode a bike with a DW-Link suspension system, can't remember the brand at the moment (BMC maybe?).  That bike felt super plush, had the most travel of any XC FS bike I'd ridden.  So much so I knew that it had too much travel and moved too much for what I wanted.  I think the DW Link design is very tunable but in my opinion is not something I would want in a XC bike, it's just overkill.

There you go, that's what I looked at and my riding impressions of other bikes besides the one I built.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:33:59 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »

2)  I had the opportunity to ride an IP-036 when I was at a local bike race.  There was a vendor there that had both the IP-056 and IP-036 for sale under their own brand name.  When asked, the vendor made no secret that his bikes were the same as what you and I could build.  So I took the bike for a spin and liked it.  I was lucky to be able to get a ride on an IP-036 prior to building one.  The selling price was approx. 1.5x what I would spend to build my own.

So 50% markup? Pretty high margins.

Good thread split, btw.

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
Excellent reply. Thanks for being so thorough.

Was especially interesting to hear your comparison to the Anthem as that's one of the bikes that I'd seriously consider getting. Maestro seems to get ridiculous amounts of praise around all the forums and blogosphere, and it's also a bit more affordable than the similar Specialized, Niner, or Yeti bikes. Although, I will say that if price was of ne concern then I would hands down go with the new Rip 9 RDO carbon, awesome reviews and one of the best looking frames I've ever seen. Not that looks should matter, but come on.. we all care!

I think what people sometimes forget (myself included) is that a lot of the suspension performance had to do with the shock itself. Not all of it, some more than others, just saying that I think that sometimes gets over looked. The absolute main factor is like you said, the 036 is half the price for a similarly specced bike. I mean you have a full carbon, full suspension 29er that weighs around 23 pounds. That's going to cost you at least 7-8k. Maybe a bit less if you find a deal.

Would freaking love to walk up on an IP-036 at a demo day and be able to compare with other name brands. Do you mind sharing how much the bike was priced at? My guess is 6k? With SLX / X9 level components?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Would freaking love to walk up on an IP-036 at a demo day and be able to compare with other name brands. Do you mind sharing how much the bike was priced at? My guess is 6k? With SLX / X9 level components?

The company, which I'm amazed I remembered, is Ballistic Bikes:
http://ballisticbicycles.com/products-page/mountain-bikes/full-metal-jacket/

Looks like a moderate build from that company is $4,200, frame only is $1,230.  Don't care for the Camo theme they have going.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
http://ballisticbicycles.com/products-page/mountain-bikes/full-metal-jacket/

Don't care for the Camo theme they have going.

You're being far too nice lol.. That is the ugliest bike I've ever seen.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
Maybe they are hoping the Camo will hide the fact that the frame is a very recognizable Chiner :) design.

I agree, it is the ugliest bike in recent memory.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
I haven't looked at too many fs bikes but the ip-036 looks like a spec stumpju.per fsr...not as swoopy.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
A little like the Stumpjumper FSR but look at the pivot and how it connects to the seat tube, it's a bit more like a Scott Spark.  The Stumpjumper connects to the seat tube, the Spark connects to the top tube, more like the IP-036.

Versus

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
So I guess the Stumpy would be more similar to the Carbonal Titan as far as suspension mechanics are concerned.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
Hey thanks man.. This was a damn good write up.. very helpful and informative.

Imo, the only thing that may could be considered a weak point on the chiner's are the pivot locations. That said.. I haven't actually seen any up close so that is an absolute 100% assumption. From what I've read, at the very least, the chiner's pivots need some greasing and/or some other type of maintenance before it's first ride. Not a deal killer at all.. but if there bearings are of actual lower quality that would cause me to take pause. Are there any up close shots of the 036 disassembled completely that you know if?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »
I wouldn't say that either one of the above pivot designs are better than the other, they may even be very close to the same.  Just because one end is mounted differently, doesn't mean the suspension performance would change very much.  However, also look at the pivot near the rear axle, on the Scott, the pivot is above the rear axle, on the Specialized it is below and slightly ahead of the rear axle.  This may make a bigger difference in how the suspension moves.

As for the IP-036, yes just grease the pivots prior to assembly, some people have replaced the bearings, they are not expensive, less than $40 for the set, still not enough for me to spend an additional $1,000 to $2,000 for a Scott or Specialized frame.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA