Author Topic: Shimano pre bled brakes - Internally routing  (Read 2983 times)

WorkingHPRs

Shimano pre bled brakes - Internally routing
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
Need to run the brake lines internally (256SL frame) so is it better to split the lines at the brake lever or the caliper? Presumably if you split the line you might just as well drain the line completely? Also do I need some sort of adaptor to run a 160mm disc on the rear of the 256SL frame?

Many thanks,

Mike

325racer

Re: Shimano pre bled brakes - Internally routing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
You'll probably want to shorten the tubing anyway, so the best is to disconnect and shorten from the top.  This allows you to run the tubing UP the frame, while keeping the caliper attached and not losing to much fluid.  Not to mention, it's just one fitting to remove, versus disconnecting, then removing the fitting from the caliper.

Vipassana

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
You can really only split them at the lever. The caliper side has a permanently installed banjo bolt crimped onto the line that will not fit through the frame.  You'll need to remove the line at the lever and cut off a half inch of line to remove the brass ferrule.  If you are careful you can avoid losing too much fluid.  I used a short finishing nail inserted in the end of the line to keep too much fluid from draining as you fish it through the frame.  Once the line is run, you must put the rubber cap back on the line, followed by the threaded nut, a new brass ferrule (they cannot be reused), and finally the inner tube support (comes with the new ferrule) .  Then install it back into the lever following the Shimano procedure. 

Many have not bothered to rebleed their brakes after this procedure and if you didn't lose too much fluid, you'll likely be fine. I bought the relatively cheap Shimano bleed cup for the lever side and did a quick air release. They are the firmest disc brakes felt yet.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:53:20 PM by Vipassana »

WorkingHPRs

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, the parts are at work so hadn't looked at them much yet. Do I need a mount for a 160mm rotor on the rear of a 256sl? (just want to get one ordered tonight with the other brake bits if I need one).

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
No, no mount needed for the 160mm disk on the IP-256SL frame. 

WorkingHPRs

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 03:07:52 AM »
Brilliant! Thanks for the info.