Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Magene P325 CS - First Impressions

(1/2) > >>

1Sigma:
I really wanted a power meter for my bike, but did not want to pay the normal rates for the a dual-sided meter
Noticed the Magene P325CS was a dual meter option for a reasonable price, so I pulled the trigger.

I think it retails for about $450/$550 CAD, but I picked mine up for about $350 CAD.  I got a standard 53/39, with 170mm cranks.

Packaging:
It comes in a pretty box, and is well-packaged.  Left crank is packaged in a separate box within, and the crank set protectected with a custom-cut piece of packing foam.
Includes: Chainrings, Cranks, magnetic charging cable, instructions

Build:
Everything looks well-machined.  Smooth, with no burrs.  All parts fit perfectly. 
The cranks are hollowed with 3-holes, 2 of which are visible.  Anodization does not run the length of the holes, and stops about an inch in
They are a bit chunky at 775 grams.
The power meters are rechargeable, and come with a charging cable that magnetically sticks to the charging ports on either crank
There are reports of chainring flex under sprinting conditions, but I cannot comment as I swapped out the rings for 1X.
The spider LOOKs like a direct-mount SRAM 8-bolt AXS interface, but it is not.  The SRAM 8-bolt interface has one shorter spline.  This means that if you switch chainrings, you will need to take a round file to one of the splines to get it to fit on the cranks.  (I had to do this with my Stone AXS-to-5-Bolt Adapter)
Note: If you want to switch out the chainrings, you will need to get one that allows access to the drive-side charging port.

Installation:
As easy as can be.  Fits standard BB road shell width, with 24mm crank shaft. 
Slide through BB, pre-load with 10mm hex bolt, tighten left-side pinch bolts.  done

Accuracy:
Can't speak to this, as this is my first power meter.  GP Lama reviewed, and it is not as accurate as he would like.  This was also looked at by Ronald Kuba, and to a lesser degree Charles Ouimet. 
Both of them believe it is fit for purpose, unless you are at a competitive level (which I am not, and early data from the power meter backs this up - lol)
At the end of the day, I am only competing against myself.  At the very least, it will be useful in trending performance changes.

Set-up:
Connected easily to my Magene C406 using the Onelap utility, which then syncs with Strava.  No issues here
One a few rides, but so far no signal drops

Features:
The Onelap utility provides all the metrics you could ever need.
Basic things it does track are: Power, cadence, left/right balance, pedaling efficiency, torque effectiveness.
It then makes other calculations, such as Power Zones (Anaerobic, VO2 Max, etc.), Watts/kg, Training stress, intensity, normalized power, etc.

All in all, I am quite happy with it.  For the same price, I could have gotten a single refurbished 4iii or Stages crank. 
Whether it is as accurate as a pair of Assiomas is irrelevant for me.  It is accurate enough for my purposes.

theirishrider:
I got the same on kickstarter.

I'm very happy with mine. used them for 1000+ KM. Compared to my Elite Suito the power is spot on - no complaints. Easily good enough for anyone who's not doing scientific tests/pros. Never get dropouts, amazing 1-month battery even when using 7 hours/week. No complaints whatsoever. I think they'd be robust enough for gravel riding too I think.

curvenut:
Nice review !

Why didnt you buy a 4iiii .. recognize brand, and a canadian cie !
I got the left side Ultegra from their store .

I have mine for 5 months so far, no complaints .

1Sigma:

--- Quote from: curvenut on September 17, 2021, 10:06:55 PM ---Nice review !

Why didnt you buy a 4iiii .. recognize brand, and a canadian cie !
I got the left side Ultegra from their store .

I have mine for 5 months so far, no complaints .

--- End quote ---

Thanks!
A few reasons:
1) for the price of a single side 4iii refurb, I got a dual power meter plus chainrings
2) I did think about 4iii, but that’d have necessitated sourcing the drive side separately, which would have increased my costs
3) But mainly, my challenge was to build a bike almost exclusively with Chinese brands. I dubbed my bike the MIC (Made in China) Mark I (the implication being that as Chinese parts improve, my n+1 will be MIC Mk 2)

Working with some of the manufacturers directly, you can really tell they are trying to shed the made in China stigma with their products.

Txapa80:
I have the older version of the magene power meter and I'm very happy with it.
In my case the power meter came in a ultegra cranckset so the chainrings are the standard Shimano ones.
After using it nearly two years I only had to change the batteries once (mine are not rechargable) and they had been working faultless.

In terms of accuracy I only can compare them with the power meter of my wahoo kicker core and the readings are very similar but as you said I only use the data with my olds rides so it is very useful to see if I'm improving or not.

I'd recommend it too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version